• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Berk Collection Auction Wins
5 5

411 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I have to wonder though if the Overstreet value on something is say 1k and the market value is 3k if Overstreet started jumping its value up to the market levels would the market start reacting by raising its values accordingly because they've been "trained" for so long about Overstreets lower values? Would that 3k book now be closer to 6k or 9k because Overstreet is saying its 3k now? I don't think Overstreet has ever been accurate with respects to the FMV going back decades on most things. The only difference today is the gaps in some cases are much larger than before.

I don't think it would have effect than it might have in the past, when some books were just considered "over guide" books naturally. I don't think most of those willing to pay what turns out to be 3X "guide" for a book are giving much consideration to guide value to start with. People pay more attention to past sales, or what they might consider books of similar interest and scarcity might sell for, or they don't consider anything but what they are willing to pay for a book they've been looking for, with an abstract sense of what it "worth" to the market in general giving them some guidance ( i.e, they may not be willing to pay $10K for a book that prior sales would indicate is a $1K book, but they might pay $3K and be done looking). 

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:42 AM, Electron said:

So much fun to see the wins from this incredible auction. Thanks to all who have shared! I've never done so much losing in an auction in my life...lol I had many "must wins" as gator would say,but got relentlessly pounded into the dust with the madness of the three minute window. Since when do mid grade Larsons go for 9X guide...:insane: Anyway, I did manage a few scraps with this one being my favorite.

aman8.jpg

I only see one book (not a scrap either RJ, ya fibber you). Once again ... only 1 book here .....

1 minute ago, Johnny545 said:

She might have to, stuffing women in glass tubes was all the rage back then.

This book is, I think, also the first teen hero in a comic.   Wilbur, who came a tad prior to Archie

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

I was shocked at what the  Popular books  went for. I had bids on at least 6 and left what I thought were high enough bids on the two I most  wanted (over $700 each) thinking that would enough to bid and leave, but I was destroyed.

I think I sold a few of mine on the boards years ago, for maybe $50 each. I'm glad I kept a couple and glad nice people won the ones I missed:). Enjoy, they have great stories.

I was busy jumping up and down after winning this one, so I didn't pay enough attention or they might have gone higher.

mys2.150a.jpg

Awesome pick up Sharon !

I can't speak for all the bidders but I know of a lot of buyers that had been waiting for this auction and were ready to burn through whatever cash they needed to get certain books. 

This was kind of like being a kid and saving up for that trip to a comic convention where the goal was to get as much of what you wanted and not trying to get some bargain. I've seen my share of what are considered obscure to many collectors and this was a beautiful auction at seeing things not often available.

It was a great auction to fill holes and run up debt. (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Bottom line is Overstreet is an awesome tool for the dealers to buy books with but completely useless for the buyers when it comes to GA. 

? So you're paying full guide for certain GA books? o.O

1 hour ago, Frisco Larson said:

Thank you for that :) Yeah, I would've paid more for it, but how much more I couldn't say for sure. I CAN say that since I didn't HAVE to pay any more for it, that enabled me to get the 58 a little more comfortably. They're the same grade, same pq & same price in the guide, but the 58 cost me $200 more, so yeah, I'd have easily paid that much more additionally for the 57. I feel the same way about that cover. It's just one of those hard-to-describe things that strikes you when you see it. I have also always dug how either Tryg Hagen or Cecil Coop wrote Larson's name on the helmet. BTW, those are the 2 employees of the Cruetz drugstore who are responsible for writing Lamont's name on most of the books. ALL of this (and more) information can be found in Jon's CBM #71 article. I hope some folks either dig out their copies or pick some up. You'll be glad ya did!!!

Thanks for the additional info Frisco.  Will have to try to find that issue. 

I got bitten by the 57 so badly that I bid on/won a very low grade copy off eBay this weekend.  Couldn't find a better one anywhere online at the moment, so this will have to do until I can upgrade.

I can tell by your enthusiasm that these books will be well taken care of!

3 minutes ago, N e r V said:

? So you're paying full guide for certain GA books? o.O

I am not a dealer but my point is when someone walks in with a GA collection Overstreet is used to establish a value point that can be significantly less than the true market value. So, Overstreet, as it stands now, is a tool that is used for buying books under market value from people who are not aware of the nuances of the actual market. I am not saying this is a good thing or a bad thing. I am merely pointing out that it is what it is. 

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I was shocked at what the  Popular books  went for. I had bids on at least 6 and left what I thought were high enough bids on the two I most  wanted (over $700 each) thinking that would enough to bid and leave, but I was destroyed.

I think I sold a few of mine on the boards years ago, for maybe $50 each. I'm glad I kept a couple and glad nice people won the ones I missed:). Enjoy, they have great stories.

I was busy jumping up and down after winning this one, so I didn't pay enough attention or they might have gone higher.

mys2.150a.jpg

I was quite surprised as well Sharon (btw, I'm Jim, a 20+ year friend of Billy who says nice things about you), but in retrospect, I'm not AS surprised as I initially was. They are VERY cool books & I believe the price guide is just wrong on them. Larson or not, roughly $200 for a vf .... I'll take all the 57's & 58's anyone has. GREAT score on the Mystic too!!!! I'd be dying to see those white pages!!!

16 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I am not a dealer but my point is when someone walks in with a GA collection Overstreet is used to establish a value point that can be significantly less than the true market value. So, Overstreet, as it stands now, is a tool that is used for buying books under market value from people who are not aware of the nuances of the actual market. I am not saying this is a good thing or a bad thing. I am merely pointing out that it is what it is. 

Sorry. I was just giving you a hard time. :devil:

I just had a mental picture of a dealer (not you) handing the seller a Overstreet for their 9.2 copy of Suspense comics #3 their dear dead grandfather bought while running off to CGC and Heritage for their payday after paying "80% of guide" to them. lol

Edited by N e r V

1 hour ago, RyanH said:

Thanks for the additional info Frisco.  Will have to try to find that issue. 

I got bitten by the 57 so badly that I bid on/won a very low grade copy off eBay this weekend.  Couldn't find a better one anywhere online at the moment, so this will have to do until I can upgrade.

I can tell by your enthusiasm that these books will be well taken care of!

Oh sweet!! I'm glad you found a copy, albeit a lower grade one. Yeah, check out that CBM if you get a chance. I will most certainly take great care of those books. Still kinda hard to believe that I won them ....

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

mys2.150a.jpg

Nice score!

1 hour ago, Frisco Larson said:

I was quite surprised as well Sharon (btw, I'm Jim, a 20+ year friend of Billy who says nice things about you), but in retrospect, I'm not AS surprised as I initially was. They are VERY cool books & I believe the price guide is just wrong on them. Larson or not, roughly $200 for a vf .... I'll take all the 57's & 58's anyone has. GREAT score on the Mystic too!!!! I'd be dying to see those white pages!!!

Nice to meet you, Jim:) I like to  say nice things about billy.

I don't think I own any other Timelys with white pages, I read posts of Mr Bedrock years ago mentioning them, so I was happy to catch one.

I think with the Populars, people think of books other than the Marvel Man/Supermind genre. The Felix/Smiling Jack, etc,  seem to be more common and were always kind of inexpensive, this is such a short run in the middle of a long running title, they can get lost. I was thinking about these vs the Frazetta Famous Funnies...and now the HG Peters Famous Funnies, too. A short run of really cool books in the midst of a long run of still cool, but not quite the same books.

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I'd like to know where these mystical ga collections are walking in to? I think virtually everyone has access to market values via the internet and if they are selling their ga collection to a dealer at a % of ospg, then that's on them. A little due diligence is easy these days. Even if you are 80 you have grandkids likely lol

With all the huge books did the "lesser" books like FF 48 do well vs GPA.  My checkbook didn't even want to check out these auctions but I was thinking the lesser keys may fall thru the cracks with all the huge money being thrown around.