• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Berk Collection Auction Wins
5 5

411 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

Thanks pal!!! I've tried to "stay off" the Centaur path, as SO many are on it, HAVE been on it for a while and not many come to market (Berk books notwithstanding). When Centaurs DO come up for sale, they're usually expensive & often times have lesser pq, of which I am not a fan. I'm not exactly thrilled about c/ow, but Gator informs me that Centaur collectors have to take what they can get. I don't recall seeing any posts with wins, so I gotta ask, did ya snag anything out of the Berk collection?

Well interesting story if we can call it that. So I bid up quite a few books to market seeing if they would stick but none of them did which I figured would happen. One book in particular however stood out to me and really spoke to me as far as a common passion that would hold the most sentimental value to me in my personal collection as JB shared that passion as well so I put all my eggs into that basket and unfortunately it was a late issue late letter book so I didn't have an option at a second choice when the dust cleared Friday night. I figured I would swing for the fence on 1 thing and I couldn't man up any further so I hit it off the warning track and it bounced into the stands for a ground rule double :cry: 

I will say this much the experience and the build up alone were well worth the wait so no sour grapes over here as its been another good year and I feel that for JB the auction went very well and that is ultimately what I wanted most. The boardie representation was phenomenal and it has been a great couple of weeks just participating. Historic if you will. I am excited to see all the auction wins and am confident I will be able to bring home a piece in the secondary market at some point in time but for now I walked away empty handed. 

34 minutes ago, Electron said:

So much fun to see the wins from this incredible auction. Thanks to all who have shared! I've never done so much losing in an auction in my life...lol I had many "must wins" as gator would say,but got relentlessly pounded into the dust with the madness of the three minute window. Since when do mid grade Larsons go for 9X guide...:insane: Anyway, I did manage a few scraps with this one being my favorite.

aman8.jpg

17 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

a person could be 200 lbs. overweight with scraps like that!

Yes. If that's what you call a scrap, what would be your main course? 

2 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Nope...I am the only collector of finely aged paper ephemera in the family!! 

34994358220_d558cf1397_k.jpg

HAHA!!! He actually works at Budweiser and supplied the beverages he is quite the beer connoisseur!! He didn't bring bottles of any kind to this party too many kids running around without shoes (after we had a few bottles break last year on the patio :shy:) this was only about a 3rd of the folks that showed up. Once the sun went down and the kids scurried back into the forest some of the adults partook in some bags and "finer Ale" from my fridge. I stick to the light stuff personally (tea, water, Miller light :bigsmile:) but their was some Great Lakes and Fat Heads sitting in their for the guests. (thumbsu

Where is that at. I love the house and yard. I would have to trade my Detective run just to own that.

13 hours ago, tth2 said:

Happy Father's Day... to me!

Mystery Men 3.jpg

Mystery Men 14.jpg

Mystery Men 16.jpg

Mystery Men 19.jpg

Tim;

Hope you had a fantastic Happy Father's Day with you lovely wife and beautiful daughter.  (thumbsu

Anyways, seeing these 4 dead drop killer books reminded me of something: 

Instead of participating in this generational and historic online global auction event and paying a shade over $75K for these 4 not to be beat books, if you had attended the greatest event in comic collecting world history, you would have had to find loose pocket change of only $4,883 to obtain these exact same 4 books.  :baiting:  lol

Seriously though, congrats again on your stupendous purchases.  :golfclap:

39 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Where is that at. I love the house and yard. I would have to trade my Detective run just to own that.

Thanks pal!! We are pretty happy with it although after these parties my normally very well kept backyard looks like it got trampled by a herd of elephants haha!!. The smiles they create are well worth it though. (thumbsu

On 6/16/2017 at 9:58 AM, Frisco Larson said:

Day 4

popular 57.jpg

So it was YOU who won the POPULAR #57!!!  That was my #1 choice in the entire auction.  I was gunning for it, but I thought twice about continuing to bid it up, as I figured it would continue beyond by price range.  I love the "Larson" on the helmet, almost as if Martan's mom wrote it there so he wouldn't get his helmet mixed up with the other Marvel Men.  Congratulations on a great book... I am jealous, but stoked for you.

15 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

Thanks again RJ!! As you know, I had been admiring the Popular 57 ever since I saw it in the color cover gallery centerspread in the CBM issue with Jon's article. It's very surreal that it will now reside in my collection. I never spoke of it, to either you or Billy, but it was a secret top want. The 58 actually cost hundreds more, but as Jon himself had commented on these boards in the past, a run of Larsons is something you seldom see. So, thanks to him offering the majority of his collection for sale, I'll now have a tiny "run" of Larsons. Every one of my geeks came away with something for their boxes ..... of that I couldn't be more pleased!!!

Just saw this, and I'm so glad I didn't bid you up.  1) you have wanted it way longer than I have, and 2) it sounds like no matter how high I bid, you would have crushed me anyways!  This cover really speaks to me for some reason.

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Anyways, seeing these 4 dead drop killer books reminded me of something: 

Instead of participating in this generational and historic online global auction event and paying a shade over $75K for these 4 not to be beat books, if you had attended the greatest event in comic collecting world history, you would have had to find loose pocket change of only $4,883 to obtain these exact same 4 books.  :baiting:  lol

Seriously though, congrats again on your stupendous purchases.  :golfclap:

So all of these books were there in the Diamond Vault sale?

Alas, back in 1995 I was a 2nd year associate at a law firm and $4883 was less affordable to me at the time than $75K today. 

No Church runs were part of the Diamond Vault sale.  The only Church copies available were those listed in the brochure.  It's possible that Geppi/Snyder offered Jon Church copies off to the side but those were not anything that other attendees would have been able to take advantage of.

Several of Jon's runs were purchased prior to 1995 and were important enough to be listed in Overstreet under "notable sales."

Edited by adamstrange

42 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

It would be really something to see the original art to that cover!  I suspect it's out there somewhere, locked up in a collection.

I rather doubt it, so little exists from the GA and besides, Jon would have tracked it down if it existed.