• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WONDER WOMAN 2 directed by Patty Jenkins (11/1/19)
3 3

1,312 posts in this topic

Never have I gone into a movie with higher expectations and been more disappointed.  The movie was a complete mess.  A ridiculous story line that made no sense and had plot holes as big as the Grand Canyon.  It had none of the heart and passion of the first film The ending was soulless pandering that left me utterly cold.  The one thing good about it was Gal Gadot, but why couldn't she use her star power leverage to prevent this abomination?

The only explanation I can muster for this tragic affair is that WW 1984 was written by completely different writers from those who scripted the wonderful first film.

53 minutes ago, paperheart said:

Wonder Woman 1984 saw its Rotten Tomatoes certified rating stripped

WB going to recall all those TV ads blaring "Certified Fresh?"

Not sure I follow. Is that different then Verified Rating?

Edit: NM I Googled it 😂

Edited by Xenosmilus

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

You saw he said Superman III, right?

Someone else mentioned the first two Superman movies. But if a character skis on a skyscraper and lands in the street, I'll be pizzed.

47 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

Not sure I follow. Is that different then Verified Rating?

Edit: NM I Googled it 😂

I was confused and to Google it too.

Apparently "Fresh" is 60% positive and above, but "Certified Fresh" is 75% positive and above.

WW 1984 has now fallen to just 66% positive, losing the latter designation.

14 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I was confused and to Google it too.

Apparently "Fresh" is 60% positive and above, but "Certified Fresh" is 75% positive and above.

WW 1984 has now fallen to just 66% positive, losing the latter designation.

I’m not sure how much I can trust RT since they gave a Certified Fresh to The Disaster Artist which is possibly the worst movie I have ever seen. I did like WW84 more then that movie though :roflmao:

10 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

I’m not sure how much I can trust RT since they gave a Certified Fresh to The Disaster Artist which is possibly the worst movie I have ever seen. I did like WW84 more then that movie though :roflmao:

The Disaster Artist is a hoot!  But you have to be in a frame of mind to watch something cringe-inducing.  I can imagine a triple-bill of good movies about bad movies:

1. Ed Wood

2. The Disaster Artist

3. Dolemite is My Name

21 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

I *loved* The Disaster Artist, but I suspect your enjoyment of the film is based entirely on your knowledge of and appreciation for The Room. I mean, it's essentially a documentary, where both James and Dave Franco went full-method actor.

Finally saw it for myself.

• Worst comic book movie ever? Not really
  • Solid sequel to the original? Not really

But it came with a positive message and the team-up of Steve and Diana again. Someone described best for me: this was Raiders of the Lost Ark with superhero and villain influences.

If you went into the movie just looking for a comic book good time, this was probably a big disappointment. But the scenes between Steve and Diana were very good and the villains were over-the-top which is very comicbooky. 6.5 to 7.0/10 for me. Though I probably wouldn't go out of my way to see it again.

But that mid-credit scene - WOW! Very nicely done. :x

I liked the first one quite a bit. I have been anxiously awaiting this one since I found out it was to be set around Washington, and they were recreating some regional landmarks of the time. 

By the time they got to the mall fight, I was no longer anxious to watch it. It really didn’t ever improve. I love the actors. I think the movie wanted to be more than it was, and I wanted it to be more than it was... which in the end, was hot trash. So disappointed. :/

8 hours ago, piper said:

It was unfortunately a letdown for me and my family especially after the first film.

It felt tonally wrong. Was it trying to be an 80’s satire? The way they resolved things at the end of the film just felt off.

The acting and Fx were solid. The screenplay was a hot mess. Aquaman was much better and I didn’t really like that film.

Missed opportunity... 2/5 :cry:

PS: In Canada, we were able to stream it on VOD for $30. I really regret the purchase.

Worse than Aquaman? Yikes!

4 hours ago, WeR138 said:

I don't know how this --script ever got the green light.

I enjoyed Suicide Squad more.

Having said that, I felt sorry for the actors.  They did a what they could and did it very well.  

Worse than Suicide Squad? Double yikes!!

10 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

found out it was to be set around Washington

You must be a MD/DC/VA local too? I got a kick out of seeing the DC Metro. I was trying to figure out what stop they were at when they were in the underground...

Edited by Xenosmilus

Thanks guys - we were going tomorrow - we'll save the $50 and get dinner instead

FWIW - non boardie reviews are about the same

36 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

You must be a MD/DC/VA local too? I got a kick out of seeing the DC Metro. I was trying to figure out what stop they were at when they were in the underground...

Metro platform was L'Efant Plaza. It's the only one where the Green/Yellow line (lower level, where they were) intersects with the Blue/Orange/Silver lines (clearly shown in signs leading to the upper level).

Of course, the Silver Line didn't exist in 1984 but whatever...

I also was perplexed re. how Diana could work as an archivist at the Smithsonian Natural History Museum but afford an apartment at the Watergate.