• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Photobucket trouble.

61 posts in this topic

I have had my Photobucket account for so many years and it holds too many linked out pictures to abandon it.  I also use Imgur which I find to be completely buggy when you switch and upload to different folders.  I too use that very extensively when I was maintaining a mobile game blog.  So is there a better image solution alternative?

I logged in to photobucket today and uploaded a couple of pics.  When I go to my library, I see this:

gDdolwW.png

No header or anything.  Looks like an FTP site and I clicking on the picture links produce nothing.  I read the new terms and conditions, well scanned it and they still host.  Is this temp or is this their new way of servicing old accounts?  As it stands I cannot access any of my pictures.

Two things going on:  They are keeping people with free accounts from linking to other sites, and they are having some of their usual screw-ups.  I periodically get the same screen.  Just wait a bit and refresh the page.  Eventually you'll get back to normal.  PB normal, that is!

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Two things going on:  They are keeping people with free accounts from linking to other sites, and they are having some of their usual screw-ups.  I periodically get the same screen.  Just wait a bit and refresh the page.  Eventually you'll get back to normal.  PB normal, that is!

Thanks.  Yes, I am finally able to see my pictures but it is still the same ftp site navigation links.   Really not nice looking.   They are trying to block ad blocker browsers too.  I tried accessing it with just IE today too and it was still nasty.

Looks like I will need to find an new image hosting site.

31 minutes ago, Paul_Maul said:

I've had good success using postimage.

Thanks, I just signed up.  I am going to try it out

Edit:  This site looks great!  Thanks.  They don't resize your image either so you can download the full large scan.  I am going to start moving over my pictures.

Edited by nocutename

2 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

my photos have been hostages for days...:mad:

That was the same thing this morning.  I read some other post about this too.  I just have forum pictures on it.  They resize the originals so I always keep back ups.   Just keep trying to click on the library or pictures links.  Eventually one of them will work.  Good luck

16 minutes ago, nocutename said:

That was the same thing this morning.  I read some other post about this too.  I just have forum pictures on it.  They resize the originals so I always keep back ups.   Just keep trying to click on the library or pictures links.  Eventually one of them will work.  Good luck

Oh,i've been trying..just maddening.Thank you.

All my photos now say: "Update your account to enable third party posting" or something similar. My wife is having the same problem. She went into PB and was told in order to solve this problem we need to pay $399. A year for third party. We are paying 39.00 a year now.  I ain't any more for this crappy service. Usually, this stuff settles down in a week or so. If not, I probably will be posting very few photos here in the future. I'm just tired of fighting and paying for being able to post photos...

I know I can drag and drop photos to the boards. Problem is my photos are stored in a file on my desktop at home. I doubt my phone would hold this file. Sure a lot easier to access on PB...

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

All my photos now say: "Update your account to enable third party posting" or something similar. My wife is having the same problem. She went into PB and was told in order to solve this problem we need to pay $399. A year for third party. We are paying 39.00 a year now.  I ain't any more for this crappy service. Usually, this stuff settles down in a week or so. If not, I probably will be posting very few photos here in the future. I'm just tired of fighting and paying for being able to post photos...

I know I can drag and drop photos to the boards. Problem is my photos are stored in a file on my desktop at home. I doubt my phone would hold this file. Sure a lot easier to access on PB...

You can move to a site that has a mobile app?  Imgur does but again, I don't recommend that site.   I would definitely suggest moving your pictures off of Photobucket.  Just keep in mind that they resize and distort the original images uploaded.  So you will never have a high quality image returned to you but at least you will have the photo.  Good luck.  I am not sure why they didn't send out an email with this incredibly intrusive new ToS. 

A long time ago, my friend used Snapfish.  She uploaded a good chunk of her family images as a hosting site and would use their service.  Every was ok until her entire album was deleted.  They did nothing for restoring the photos.  They were quite shocking rude about stating once images are uploaded we control the files and we have no responsibility to preserve them.   Since then, I only upload images I don't care about to these type of services.  They all suck.  Sorry for all the trouble you are going through but I would not pay them a red cent.  This is purely blackmail.

You should not have to pay a cent to use image hosting because there is so much competition out there.  Photobucket thrived at a time of few options.  They are counting on you not trying something different.

Ive had zero issues using imgur it might be your browser, hardware, software or some other combination of issues.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_image-sharing_websites

I also really like flickr for photography but it would be great for scans too.

On 7/4/2017 at 0:37 AM, Robot Man said:

PB has not locked my photos yet but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.  I think they overplayed their hands.  Right now I have a free account and I think it's fair to pay something.  If they priced it at $100 or even $200 per year I would pay.  But at $400 for 3rd party hosting, that's ridiculous when you compare it to other on-line services like Office and my virus protection sw (both under $100 per year).  At $400 is feels like extortion, more so because they are holding your photos hostage.  I am hoping there will be an outcry and PB will reconsider and lower the 3rd party hosting price to something more reasonable.

29 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Best thing about the CGC board upgrade is being able to load photos directly. I love not using photo bucket anymore :whee:

However, it sucks big-time for those of us who have spent days uploading and coding thumbnails, and who have an active inventory of 1000's of photos/scans.

The only reason I use Photophuckit to for posting images. If I cannot post "3rd party images" it is worthless to me. I keep my images on my home computer and back them up regularly so I don't need it for a storage device. Problem is the only way I can upload images directly is when I am at home. I don't upload images much from home. I would love to ditch PB but need a solid replacement service before I do so. I have several hundred images in PB and don't want to start moving around if I don't need to. So, in the near future, at least, I'm dead in the water and can't post here very much if at all. 

Also, can I delete images that I post here directly? I don't always want to keep them up forever.

4 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Best thing about the CGC board upgrade is being able to load photos directly. I love not using photo bucket anymore :whee:

I had forgotten about photobucket... maybe time to delete my PB account? :idea:

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Also, can I delete images that I post here directly? I don't always want to keep them up forever.

There are lots of ways to do that @Robot Man

You can hide the whole post in which the pic appears by clicking on 'options' next to quote/edit. Or you can hide a whole thread (as long as you started it) by clicking on 'Moderation Actions' under the thread title to the right. You can't unhide either though. If you want to keep part of a post you can edit it and remove the picture. 

5 hours ago, lizards2 said:

However, it sucks big-time for those of us who have spent days uploading and coding thumbnails, and who have an active inventory of 1000's of photos/scans.

just got an email blackmail message from PB stating 'upgrade or no 3rd party hosting' :censored:

Edited by paperheart