• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen X-Men #94 - CGC 9.6
5 5

97 posts in this topic

I'm stoked to read all these posts and see that Nik got his $$ back from PayPal. But it's not really a HAPPY ending until eBay closes out collectorsdugeons account and the Renton, WA police have opened an investigation.  When someone commits blatant fraud, eBay and PayPal ought to be closing their accounts.

Any ideas?   Report the sellers other auctions to eBay

2 hours ago, CatskillMike said:

And where is the comic actually?  In the thief's possession, I imagine.   Anyway, great news for a change, and rather swiftly!

Great news -- and with the statement above, it might not be a bad idea to continue watching for this exact CGC slab being offered up to either identify the thief or the knowledge of any other accounts they might be using (to avoid them as well).

My recommendation would be to start here -- https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/investigations/mailtheft/ReportMailTheft.aspx

It appears that both mail fraud and wire fraud were committed, and this is right up the Postal Inspectors' alley.  Provide EVERY SINGLE DETAIL that you can.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:05 AM, Flaming_Telepath said:

This morning I woke to an e-mail from Paypal, confirming that I am to be refunded in full. :banana:

Huge thanks to everybody here for their support and kind words. However, to MustEastBrains and mr_highgrade, who gave unbelievable practical assistance...you are kings amongst men. (worship)(worship)(worship)

The next time I'm in the US, I hope that we can meet, as the drinks are on me!

:applause:

On 2017-07-12 at 11:05 AM, mattn792 said:

My recommendation would be to start here -- https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/investigations/mailtheft/ReportMailTheft.aspx

It appears that both mail fraud and wire fraud were committed, and this is right up the Postal Inspectors' alley.  Provide EVERY SINGLE DETAIL that you can.

Unfortunately, law enforcement is usually too busy frying bigger fish to deal with a comic book thief for a few $K.

That's the new way of the world.

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Unfortunately, law enforcement is usually too busy frying bigger fish to deal with a comic book thief for a few $K.

Probably true in this case, but it may be a slow news week in the Western District of Washington.  Or they may have received multiple complaints against the same guy.  Either way, it's worth a few minutes to type it up.

21 hours ago, mattn792 said:
On 2017-07-17 at 9:38 AM, VintageComics said:

Probably true in this case, but it may be a slow news week in the Western District of Washington.  Or they may have received multiple complaints against the same guy.  Either way, it's worth a few minutes to type it up.

I would definitely give it a try if I had the time to pursue it.

I tried to pursue an internet theft a few years ago but the local cops (Santa Rosa, CA I believe) just shrugged and said there was little they could do with international theft unless I filled out out a whole bunch of paperwork and pursued it across the border (I'm from Canada).

Of course international internet laws are always evolving but it's not very easy to pursue anyone criminally over the border even if you have all the evidence in the world. If it's not financially viable most people drop it.

8 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I would definitely give it a try if I had the time to pursue it.

I tried to pursue an internet theft a few years ago but the local cops (Santa Rosa, CA I believe) just shrugged and said there was little they could do with international theft unless I filled out out a whole bunch of paperwork and pursued it across the border (I'm from Canada).

Of course international internet laws are always evolving but it's not very easy to pursue anyone criminally over the border even if you have all the evidence in the world. If it's not financially viable most people drop it.

No surprise there, it's sad but true that resource scarcity at the local level dumps the burden onto the victim in cases like this. 

Next time just go straight to the Feds (that's my recommendation to any international seller out there who gets victimized by a US based scammer), especially if the US Postal Service was utilized as Mail Fraud is very easy to prove.  More people, more resources, and a bigger reach mean that there's at least a slightly better chance that someone will get assigned to devote some time looking into your case.

Can't imagine the stress this would have caused if it happened to me ... I get nervous just selling a $500 book.  Very glad to hear Paypal is allocating the money where is should rightfully be.

So if the scammer weren't an idjit and listed it on eBay, would Paypal still rule in OP's favor?  If not what would have been the next course of action?  Contact USPS for the signature and hope the packaged was insured for the whole amount?