• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen X-Men #94 - CGC 9.6
5 5

97 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

That's it, from Renton, WA also. It was listed on June 24, obviously before the book arrived. This new info needs to be reported to Paypal.

Interesting.   So claiming someone sold it to them and they weren't aware it was stolen wouldn't fly as it was still in transit.

Just now, thehumantorch said:

Interesting.   So claiming someone sold it to them and they weren't aware it was stolen wouldn't fly as it was still in transit.

The only person who knew it was on the way was the buyer...and he used the scan taken from the web-site. This can't have been stolen and then listed.

10 minutes ago, Flaming_Telepath said:

The only person who knew it was on the way was the buyer...and he used the scan taken from the web-site. This can't have been stolen and then listed.

Praying situation is resolved :o 

10 minutes ago, Flaming_Telepath said:

4.09am here and I've had an emotional night. :smirk:

Off to bed now, but have sent the European MD of Paypal two e-mails, the second one including the information dug up here.

Thanks to you all for your support, and especially MustEatBrains. (worship)

Could you tell us the buyer's name, ebay name, whatever so we can avoid him?

Not only is this guy a no good thief but also a total insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

I hope it works out.

5 hours ago, Pitboss said:

Several felonies to be handed out here. Glad he's "busted".

Hope this gets resolved correctly in FT's favor. :wishluck:

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating -- there's no reason the authorities shouldn't be paying this clown a visit and hauling him down to lockup.  Scams and outright theft and fraud like this is far more common than it should be because the people trying these things know, more often than not, they face little in the line of consequences even if they end up being "busted".  If more people like this guy ended up behind bars from trying this stuff, maybe it would stop this sort of blatant thievery from happening. :mad:

39 minutes ago, ChiSoxFan said:

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating -- there's no reason the authorities shouldn't be paying this clown a visit and hauling him down to lockup.  Scams and outright theft and fraud like this is far more common than it should be because the people trying these things know, more often than not, they face little in the line of consequences even if they end up being "busted".  If more people like this guy ended up behind bars from trying this stuff, maybe it would stop this sort of blatant thievery from happening. :mad:

amen

4 hours ago, ChiSoxFan said:

The problem is that the Internet Age has it's own set of issues in dealing with the law as they differ across borders.

I was scammed by a guy in California about 6 or 7 years ago and the hoops I had to jump through made it nearly impossible to do anything credible. I even spoke to the guys local police force at the time and they couldn't do anything without going through the proper channels.

Now if it was my book and I could reasonably make the trip today, I'd be paying the idjit a visit.

12 hours ago, Flaming_Telepath said:

They were. The book was sent via International Signed For service...signature is what I paid for, but USPS have not as yet been able to supply one.

It HAS been delivered, though, and the address is not a block of apartments. It was delivered on a Saturday afternoon, so it's more likely that the residents were in.

The buyer's filing of a claim after two working days makes me extremely suspicious.He clearly wanted funds freezing in a hurry.

I'd definitely appeal this with the USPS. You paid for a signature which they can't produce. If they left the book on the doorstep without getting a signature, it's on them

It should be on them (USPS).  Although, Paypal should also reconsider in the light of the eBay evidence.  Same book, same city.  The guy definitely was trying to pull a fast one. 

As others have said, please out this guy.  Real name and all. 

Agree that USPS should have liability if they failed to obtain a valid signature.  I really think FT has this guy dead to rights now as it should be easy for PP to confirm the identity of the ebay seller which I'm betting matches up with the person who bought stole the book from him.  The fact that it was listed for sale while still in transit is just icing on the cake.  Add the additional point that he did not pull the listing when he claimed the book went "missing" and let it run to conclusion.  IMO the delivery confirm from the mail carrier should have been enough for PP to rule in his favor from the on-set though.  This happened to me once receiving a VERY expensive book and the mailman signed it "DD"  the book was there when I got home but I made a point to call the postmaster and let them know.  I think the USPS employee was fired shortly thereafter as a result.  Let's keep our fingers crossed FT is made whole on this, and soon.

I have had success in the past with this. Some local judges call it theft by deception, but that was a while back. I would call the local police in that area and see  if they don't have anything going on and they can pay the guy a visit at the address.

I would also contact any Comic shop in 100 miles and give them the serial # of the book just in case he panics and sells it off fast.

Edited by fastballspecial

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I would also contact any Comic shop in 100 miles and give them the serial # of the book just in case he panics and sells it off fast.

It looks like the book successfully sold in auction so it is now with a new owner. If this has been documented as stolen property, the new owner has to give it back. I just don't know how the overseas aspects muddles this up from a law perspective.

BTW, regarding USPS not getting a signature. Perhaps a courtesy tip was negotiated ?