• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

California Comic Convention ( CalComicCon) 2018
6 6

152 posts in this topic

Nice of greggy to give the camera man the finger. Classic greggy. Good weather and tons of comics. ^^ Interesting how on the Sat., the vendors were standing up while the ageing comic collectors slouched with knapsacks were sitting down sifting through boxes of sharp mylared comics.

Terry, thank you for the mini con the night before, it was a blast and fun to see all the great books that were on display.  I was also able to meet a bunch of board members and caught up with other board members I had not see for awhile.  I hope you will consider putting on the mini con again next year. 

The show on Sunday was wall to wall goodness of gold, silver, bronze and copper books that I didn't know where to start!  It was fun and I can't wait until next year's show!  Thanks again for all the work you do in putting this convention together.

Edited by loboagain

Another wonderful show. Some very impressive displays of vintage comics. I enjoyed the meet and greet on Saturday and it would be nice if it could be extended by another hour or so. Not everyone lives in the area and traffic is almost always hell trying to get to that part southern California. I drove almost 400 miles and the last eighty took as long as the first three hundred. Concerning the long lines for CGC,  I believe that a numbered  ticket system as with DMV or such, is a good suggestion. It not only frees up congestion at their area, but allows people to roam the show and potentially spend more money. Beneficial to both collectors and dealers. Any chance of extending Sundays closing time by an hour or so? Once again more potential dollars and books trading hands.

Thanks again and have a nice day!

OK - I've been going to this show for about 6 years.. mostly as a marginally involved comic collector currently. I work full time, own house have morg and upkeep, rental property have too (and all that entails), wife, kids, etc. (busy, busy)  .. but have been buying comics, toys, models, statues, die-cast cars, etc., etc., since 1973 (45 years). I'm not a hard-core comics' guy, that needs income from them or even thinks that much about them as an investment.

I have a pretty extensive collection of comics.. slabbed and loose though... 45 years worth.

This show is fun, and I dropped off 20 books to be CGC'd. I walked around, looked, and looked some more.. and was some-what interested in a few books.

Here's the thing, and I know this will raise the ire among many here, but this show seems more structured to circle-jerk the illuminati of comic book dealers.

Most, but not all, dealers there have this palatable air about them.. and I've seen and witnessed way too many dealers working deals among themselves while non-dealer customers wait patiently for said dealer to give him/her some time about an insignificant $25 dollar book they may want. And in general, most dealers treat average customers there like carneys treat "rubes" at the local county fair.. to be taken advantage of.

I wish this wasn't the case, but for many who attend this show this is the reality. And while I'm sure there's a great deal of fun to be had at this show.. I tend to think it's more skewed towards the dealers having most of it.

Anyhoo.. if anyone else has experienced this vibe about the show, then know you're not alone.

*Still love comic book collecting.

Edited by geoffdude

18 hours ago, shortboxed said:

Some pics I snapped during the preview day swap. That's me in the black t-shirt behind the table. If you're on Instagram, have more pics "@shortboxed" 

InstaSave (2).jpg

InstaSave (3).jpg

InstaSave (4).jpg

IMG_20180127_161646_746.jpg

A lot of bowed heads, "Let us prey" There's a lot of serious funny book collectors in that room! Sorry I missed it.

17 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Nice of greggy to give the camera man the finger. Classic greggy. Good weather and tons of comics. ^^ Interesting how on the Sat., the vendors were standing up while the ageing comic collectors slouched with knapsacks were sitting down sifting through boxes of sharp mylared comics.

Who?

8 hours ago, geoffdude said:

OK - I've been going to this show for about 6 years.. mostly as a marginally involved comic collector currently. I work full time, own house have morg and upkeep, rental property have too (and all that entails), wife, kids, etc. (busy, busy)  .. but have been buying comics, toys, models, statues, die-cast cars, etc., etc., since 1973 (45 years). I'm not a hard-core comics' guy, that needs income from them or even thinks that much about them as an investment.

I have a pretty extensive collection of comics.. slabbed and loose though... 45 years worth.

This show is fun, and I dropped off 20 books to be CGC'd. I walked around, looked, and looked some more.. and was some-what interested in a few books.

Here's the thing, and I know this will raise the ire among many here, but this show seems more structured to circle-jerk the illuminati of comic book dealers.

Most, but not all, dealers there have this palatable air about them.. and I've seen and witnessed way too many dealers working deals among themselves while non-dealer customers wait patiently for said dealer to give him/her some time about an insignificant $25 dollar book they may want. And in general, most dealers treat average customers there like carneys treat "rubes" at the local county fair.. to be taken advantage of.

I wish this wasn't the case, but for many who attend this show this is the reality. And while I'm sure there's a great deal of fun to be had at this show.. I tend to think it's more skewed towards the dealers having most of it.

Anyhoo.. if anyone else has experienced this vibe about the show, then know you're not alone.

I am a collector like your self. I only sell at comic shows a couple times a year. I always set up at Terry's show. I have done every one. As a rule I don't notice this much. Dealers want all the sales they can get. Many of them travel great distance and have a LOT of overhead. Big purchases from who ever are very important to them. 

Being a collector with a lot lower overhead I tend to pander a little more to collectors like myself when I set up.  For instance, I don't open up until the doors open. This way everybody gets a fair shot at my stuff. I like dealer purchases but they don't get any more breaks than you do. All sales are important. 

Perhaps, you need to try a show from the other side of the table. You will learn a lot and maybe understand better what dealers have to do to bring all this wonderful material to us. 

And yeah, it's a wonderful hobby and a full time business to many...

11 hours ago, geoffdude said:

I read your comment and hope I'm not one of the dealers you are talking about, I am overwhelmed running this show and my booth every year and don't have the luxury to give individual attention to every customer ( I wish I could)  but I have 5 people assisting me in my booth that should be able to help you when I am too busy. sometimes we all are too busy and there is also the ever present possibility that someone will try to steal. That means that at least 1/2 of my help is focused on making sure no one is stealing. As Robot man said, until you set up yourself try not to be too critical but I appreciate your critique. Unlike most promoters, I listen to my customers and dealers and try to improve where I can. I read these chat boards and try to see if I performed well in the concept of an old school comic show. I have yet to make the show profitable to me, I make profit at my booth and I do need to focus on larger sales but I certainly do not wish to neglect customers buying a $25 comic or some other smaller purchase. As for the other dealers I cannot speak, but I personally know almost all of them as friends or colleagues and hope they would not deserve this criticism, but sometimes it may just appear so. FYI I also did not open to dealers before the show opened to the public.  Terry O'Neill - Terry's Comics / Promoter CalComicCon 

14 hours ago, loboagain said:

Terry, thank you for the mini con the night before, it was a blast and fun to see all the great books that were on display.  I was also able to meet a bunch of board members and caught up with other board members I had not see for awhile.  I hope you will consider putting on the mini con again next year. 

The show on Sunday was wall to wall goodness of gold, silver, bronze and copper books that I didn't know where to start!  It was fun and I can't wait until next year's show!  Thanks again for all the work you do in putting this convention together.

the preview night was a compromise  to not do a two day show but give some collectors the chance to sell their comics without having to sit around all day at a show. ( besides I don't have extra tables and never plan to grow the show bigger) 

If the Boardies want to take this event over( preview night meet and great ) it is fine with me as I am usually too busy with the show to have extra functions. T.

As an outsider and first time to this show i can say you guys know how to run a show . The prices on most books were fair and it never hurts to ask if one can do better.The place for the show was great and the Saturday sales gathering is a wonderful thing to buy and sell the goods.I got my girly book from Terry and should have got a few more but wanted to see what the next day would bring.If you love great weather and great books and from a guy who has been collecting a very long time this show is a near mint. (thumbsu   and Terry works his tail off for us geeks!

Edited by comicjack

2 hours ago, TerrysComics said:

I read your comment and hope I'm not one of the dealers you are talking about, I am overwhelmed running this show and my booth every year and don't have the luxury to give individual attention to every customer ( I wish I could)  but I have 5 people assisting me in my booth that should be able to help you when I am too busy. sometimes we all are too busy and there is also the ever present possibility that someone will try to steal. That means that at least 1/2 of my help is focused on making sure no one is stealing. As Robot man said, until you set up yourself try not to be too critical but I appreciate your critique. Unlike most promoters, I listen to my customers and dealers and try to improve where I can. I read these chat boards and try to see if I performed well in the concept of an old school comic show. I have yet to make the show profitable to me, I make profit at my booth and I do need to focus on larger sales but I certainly do not wish to neglect customers buying a $25 comic or some other smaller purchase. As for the other dealers I cannot speak, but I personally know almost all of them as friends or colleagues and hope they would not deserve this criticism, but sometimes it may just appear so. FYI I also did not open to dealers before the show opened to the public.  Terry O'Neill - Terry's Comics / Promoter CalComicCon 

This is a good exchange of respectful opinions. Constructive and all that that entails. I have never been to Terry's con (stuck in IL) but from my vantage point, it looks like a show I'd love to be at. Good critique, geoffdude, and good response by Terry. :)

Hey Terry, it was a great show and lots of customers! I appreciate the opportunity to sell there. Only thing was the cgc line. People were blocking some of our tables for awhile. Maybe concentrate the artists and cgc in back room? This would also free up more dealer tables in main hall. Just an idea. Thanks, John. 

9 minutes ago, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

Hey Terry, it was a great show and lots of customers! I appreciate the opportunity to sell there. Only thing was the cgc line. People were blocking some of our tables for awhile. Maybe concentrate the artists and cgc in back room? This would also free up more dealer tables in main hall. Just an idea. Thanks, John. 

This actually makes a lot of sense. Put the CGC table in the side room, and funnel the line into the hallway so it doesn't block other booths. 

Alternatively, put the CGC booth in the lobby. It would free up a lot of space. 

18 hours ago, geoffdude said:

geoffdude, my 2 cents on the topic of dealers working deals with each other.  I speak from experience as both a dealer and collector/customer on this

subject.  I have also been selling at this show since the first time Terry told me about his intent to host it.  I like a great many people dealers, collector's boardies and

so on have been dealing with Terry to be specific since way before this show began.  I'm more of a small time dealer that really started at the Shrine show

20 years ago and the first guy to approach me was Terry O'Neil.  I had a lot of Silver Age Comics that I was selling and this guy bought my entire booth on the spot.

Yes, there are deals to be made and if it involves a book that has a high price tag you have to expect a dealer to smooze a little more in order to secure a good

deal/price.  For the most part I usually wait until a dealer is not so busy if I just want to shoot the breeze because to be honest I'm usually not looking to

purchase a high priced book unless it really is to my advantage.  These guys lay out quite a bit of cash for the collections they bring to market and it really

helps when they can recoup some of their investment asap.  I've met a lot of great people in this hobby/business but I'm patient and realize that sometimes

I may not have access to someone when I want to talk to them and just come back when they are not busy.

I hope you continue to enjoy the hobby and make a ton of friends as I have for life.

7 hours ago, TerrysComics said:

Hey Terry I have always liked the man you are and your love for comics since 1998.. In 1998 I offered you 11k on a Superman 1 that had 12k on it or something close (shrug)and you said :makepoint: and that was firm. I was on my way to your show when the X wife called and said the 2008 Toyota highlander had oil all over the ground. I stopped buy and saw the oil cooler line broke so I had to give up my car to have her car towed to my shop. I was still 40% go and 60% no and thought that prices on the golden age book"s I love have been priced 25% over fair retail and was not worth going.hm With the thought that there was NO oil on my x's dipstick and :wishluck: the hope that there was a least some oil still there I  never made it sorry. I see that shortboxed was all over like a bad rash :headbang:  I first saw him at Berkley last week :hi: shortboxed. I will make your show next year since I see you have more-fun 14 and I wanted a copy.

13 hours ago, woowoo said:

Hey Terry I have always liked the man you are and your love for comics since 1998.. In 1998 I offered you 11k on a Superman 1 that had 12k on it or something close (shrug)and you said :makepoint: and that was firm. I was on my way to your show when the X wife called and said the 2008 Toyota highlander had oil all over the ground. I stopped buy and saw the oil cooler line broke so I had to give up my car to have her car towed to my shop. I was still 40% go and 60% no and thought that prices on the golden age book"s I love have been priced 25% over fair retail and was not worth going.hm With the thought that there was NO oil on my x's dipstick and :wishluck: the hope that there was a least some oil still there I  never made it sorry. I see that shortboxed was all over like a bad rash :headbang:  I first saw him at Berkley last week :hi: shortboxed. I will make your show next year since I see you have more-fun 14 and I wanted a copy.

What about San Jose?