• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF15 value - will the market 'crash'?
3 3

280 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, atomised said:

This book will never go down in value.  It's too iconic.  Like the 52 Mantle Topps Rookie. There was never a bad time to buy this book, or that card.  

I 100% agree with that statement 

15 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I've been collecting comics since I bought my 1st one off the newsstands in 1975.

How old are you? You sound young. Not that age is a reflection of someone's intelligence but experience is a very different thing than book learning.

I was in my early teens when Fantastic Four #1 was the top Silver Age Marvel and they are still my favorite SA title.

Also, can I see the certification for your crystal ball which is able to tell the future and throw out 'facts' that haven't come to pass yet?

lol

I am not disagreeing that Spider-man is popular and near the top right now. I'm just disagreeing that something is automatically on top for ever just because it's on top right now.

What I am arguing is that it will never change.  NOBODY knows that for sure and people have been wrong for years about it.

First off Vintage Comics I'm alittle older and wiser then what you perceive me to be because you surely sound not that well educated in comics from what I'm observing. And by the way I have been collecting comics since the early 80s. And as far as my experience with comics is concerned with my crystal ball? I won't add insult to injury on your part let's just say. ? By the way my hindsight with my ball has more knowledge then you could possibly fathom.

Stop being so pessimistic on things and except things for what they are. Food for thought.

if I wanted a intelligent conversation I would rather have one with my dog. 

Peace VC

Edited by Kalel38

3 hours ago, Kalel38 said:

if I wanted a intelligent conversation I would rather have one with my dog. 

"An" intelligent conversation.  meh

And no need to be a Richard over someone not agreeing with you.

1 hour ago, piper said:

I would like to think we can have a civil discussion on this topic? 2c

There's no need for anyone to throw insults around.

First off Vintage Comics wanted to throw a insult to me.. I can throw one back for his immature behaviour. 

3 minutes ago, Kalel38 said:

First off Vintage Comics wanted to throw a insult to me.. I can throw one back for his immature behaviour. 

No wonder he thought you were young.  In your post above, you sound 12.

4 hours ago, atomised said:

This book will never go down in value.  It's too iconic.  Like the 52 Mantle Topps Rookie. There was never a bad time to buy this book, or that card.  

You could be right.  Never is a very long time, though.

3 hours ago, piper said:

I would like to think we can have a civil discussion on this topic? 2c

There's no need for anyone to throw insults around.

I'm  with you on this. I fail to understand what the point of putting someone down gets you.  Peole aren't required to comment here. 

Passion=Competition

Competition=Value

Look at these topics and see the pure energy this book generates on multiple often opposing fronts. Stuff like this is why ill never discount this book or its impact. This is special, you dont see this with Avengers 1 or BB28. I see this arguement and i wonder where the lack of competition for this book is going to come from to drive its prices down substantially.

30 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

i wonder where the lack of competition for this book is going to come from to drive its prices down substantially.

From the cost to buy.

52 minutes ago, namisgr said:
1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

i wonder where the lack of competition for this book is going to come from to drive its prices down substantially.

From the cost to buy.

Do you really think people will stop being passionate about this book and turn on current market values? Like a book that was selling for 50k will sit for 30k a few weeks or months later cause everyone's decided its a bad price? I just don't see it. Prices would need to more than double from current rates now to even begin to think that way, and If its this constant climb upwards like we have seen over the last 8 months i would imagine it would like look more a price increase freeze rather than some massive drop.

Like I posted earlier, there's an important distinction between a valuation crashing and flatlining.  I certainly never gave consideration to the AF15 market crashing, and don't recall seeing anyone else suggesting it would either.  Topping out, however, is an entirely different thing, and seems quite plausible.  Why would such a thing happen?  It's become a lot riskier now to buy a mid-grade AF15 for X dollars than it was 18 months ago to buy the same copy for X/2 dollars.

As for future pricing, since nobody knows the future it seems naïve at best and possibly even willfully manipulative to hype that AF15 values will always and forever go up and up and up. 

Edited by namisgr

Do you guys think that this sudden price increase will affect other major SA key too?

When Action 1 and Tec 27 went out of reach, collectors moved to AF 15. Will this happen again? Now that a 4.0 sell for $30K, maybe collectors will look at other keys.

Hulk 1 already moved up pretty well, I won't be surprised if the same increase will affect other books like Avengers 1, JIM 83, X Men 1 etc

1 minute ago, marmat said:

Do you guys think that this sudden price increase will affect other major SA key too?

When Action 1 and Tec 27 went out of reach, collectors moved to AF 15. Will this happen again? Now that a 4.0 sell for $30K, maybe collectors will look at other keys.

Hulk 1 already moved up pretty well, I won't be surprised if the same increase will affect other books like Avengers 1, JIM 83, X Men 1 etc

That's reasonable.  For me, it's pushed me down to collecting af15 2.5 and below.    I prefer to have any copy of af15 than owning the other silver age keys with hulk 1 being the exception

Just now, Spiderturtle said:

That's reasonable.  For me, it's pushed me down to collecting af15 2.5 and below.    I prefer to have any copy of af15 than owning the other silver age keys with hulk 1 being the exception

In my case, the limit is 1.5. Anything over that, that is too much.

I prefer to have a nice Hulk 1, JIM 83 or X Men 1 than a crappy looking AF15. Even a good looking 1.0 with the spine completely splitted doesn't appeal to me