• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF15 value - will the market 'crash'?
3 3

280 posts in this topic

Just now, Stuck1 said:

I guess Ill find out how the market is on my 3.5 I have listed on epay. This is my last book I own, the end of my comic collecting after 30 years.

Welcome to the boards and GLWTS. Please tell us why your getting out of collecting?

7 minutes ago, Stuck1 said:

I guess Ill find out how the market is on my 3.5 I have listed on epay. This is my last book I own, the end of my comic collecting after 30 years.

Best of luck with the sale!

I was active on the boards for about 7 years and kind of fell out of collecting comics and sold all but one to help with my wifes graduate school costs. She graduated finally in May with her doctorate, but during the time she was in school she couldnt work full time. Life kind of took over and my passion for the hobby never really came back. But i held onto my AF15 cause, well, its an AF15:). In the end, we are all just kind of renters of these great books, and it was finally time to let it go to a new home and bring joy to someone else! 

23 minutes ago, Stuck1 said:

I was active on the boards for about 7 years and kind of fell out of collecting comics and sold all but one to help with my wifes graduate school costs. She graduated finally in May with her doctorate, but during the time she was in school she couldnt work full time. Life kind of took over and my passion for the hobby never really came back. But i held onto my AF15 cause, well, its an AF15:). In the end, we are all just kind of renters of these great books, and it was finally time to let it go to a new home and bring joy to someone else! 

Well put. We all are just renters whether we sell our books or pass them on to another generation. (thumbsu

Edited by peewee22

16 hours ago, peewee22 said:

Well put. We all are just renters whether we sell our books or pass them on to another generation. (thumbsu

My father in law insisted we were "stewards" not really owning but carefully preserving . I like that notion, not unlike the Hippocratic oath "First, do no Harm."

The people cutting up AF 15's for ebay sales bother me, I have to confess. As a kid, I just bought what I loved off the stands. All that stuff is worth a lot now but it will never replace the infatuation of a child.  The contrast? Some of us never threw out anything.  Woo Hoo!

1 hour ago, Tbone911t said:

Looks like you're going to do ok. Congrats!

Just being able to own the book is a win for me. Never got the book for financial gain, just to sit in my living room and hold it, and maybe sometimes it would end up next to my bed falling asleep looking at it lol! But its nice to make a profit for sure! The funds, going towards another grail piece...my down payment on my dream car, an Aston Martin vantage....just have to slowly let the wife know...or ask forgivness instead of permission is the collectors motto!

27 minutes ago, Stuck1 said:

Just being able to own the book is a win for me. Never got the book for financial gain, just to sit in my living room and hold it, and maybe sometimes it would end up next to my bed falling asleep looking at it lol! But its nice to make a profit for sure! The funds, going towards another grail piece...my down payment on my dream car, an Aston Martin vantage....just have to slowly let the wife know...or ask forgivness instead of permission is the collectors motto!

Look forward to seeing a picture of the car!

33 minutes ago, Stuck1 said:

Would you be so kind as to attach a link to the book on eBay? I'm up here in Canada and often times our eBay.ca doesn't allow us to view items that won't ship internationally 

21 minutes ago, Stuck1 said:

It says i dont ship internationally but I will ship to my brothers up north! 

That's awesome, I have (had) one as I just made a deal to upgrade it to a 5.0 , and am curious to see how yours fares to determine if I went the correct route with my arrangement , the problem I face up here , is that if an American buyer wants mine via eBay , he /she would be on the hook for the duty charges coming across the border

Edited by Bigsexy

45 minutes ago, Stuck1 said:

Here she is, Aston Martin Vantage Masonry Edition.

IMG_1351.PNG

Wow! That's well outside my league.

5 hours ago, Bigsexy said:

the problem I face up here , is that if an American buyer wants mine via eBay , he /she would be on the hook for the duty charges coming across the border

Are you sure there are customs duty charges for books going from Canada back into the United States.

I always thought there were no customs charges because the books were originally printed and distributed from the United States, and hence, are simply being returned back to their country of origin.  Now, if the book was going from the United States, that would be a completely different story, although I believe duty may have now been eliminated due to the Free Trade agreement.  hm

I believe you just have to ensure that you have all of your paperwork done up properly.  But I am definitely not the best person to ask since i don't ship books back and forth across the border.  (shrug)

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Are you sure there are customs duty charges for books going from Canada back into the United States.

I always thought there were no customs charges because the books were originally printed and distributed from the United States, and hence, are simply being returned back to their country of origin.  Now, if the book was going from the United States, that would be a completely different story, although I believe duty may have now been eliminated due to the Free Trade agreement.  hm

I believe you just have to ensure that you have all of your paperwork done up properly.  But I am definitely not the best person to ask since i don't ship books back and forth across the border.  (shrug)

I am only making an assumption based on us having to pay duty on any cross border purchases that are being brought from the us to Canada. I believe it has less to do with the original manufacturing country , but rather canada levying a toll on any goods being brought over that were purchased in the us. For example if I purchased a DVD player being sold by let's say the Sony store in Chicago and shipping it over I would still be on the hook for the duty even though it was manufactured in China . So I'm just assuming the same would be true in the opposite scenario. And dealing with customs holds is a whole other kettle of fish........

16 minutes ago, Bigsexy said:

I am only making an assumption based on us having to pay duty on any cross border purchases that are being brought from the us to Canada. I believe it has less to do with the original manufacturing country , but rather canada levying a toll on any goods being brought over that were purchased in the us. For example if I purchased a DVD player being sold by let's say the Sony store in Chicago and shipping it over I would still be on the hook for the duty even though it was manufactured in China . So I'm just assuming the same would be true in the opposite scenario. And dealing with customs holds is a whole other kettle of fish........

The USA doesn't play the same we Canadians do.

Sending an item from Canada to the USA does not incur duties

Sending an item from USA to Canada does incur duties.

That said some postal companies will charge a fee regardless to "process" the package through customs.

Just now, Iceman399 said:

The USA doesn't play the same we Canadians do.

Sending an item from Canada to the USA does not incur duties

Sending an item from USA to Canada does incur duties.

That said some postal companies will charge a fee regardless to "process" the package through customs.

Well that is interesting, On the plus side at least our dollar seems to be making a bit of a charge as of late. Thanks for the clarification on this!

2 minutes ago, Bigsexy said:

Well that is interesting, On the plus side at least our dollar seems to be making a bit of a charge as of late. Thanks for the clarification on this!

Some items you pay only HST, like comics, and maybe a brokerage fee. Depending on the value declared a lot of the time you pay nothing.

Some items you will pay HST + duty.

Some items depends on where they were manufactured (Can, US, Mexico - exempt) as well.

Edited by Tbone911t

4 minutes ago, Tbone911t said:

Some items you pay only HST, like comics, and maybe a brokerage fee. Depending on the value declared a lot of the time you pay nothing.

Some items you will pay HST + duty.

Some items depends on where they were manufactured (Can, US, Mexico - exempt) as well.

There ya go.  Very well laid out. (worship) 

Going into the USA they don't charge "HST" or equivalent.