• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF15 value - will the market 'crash'?
3 3

280 posts in this topic

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:09 PM, lou_fine said:

Just noticed my FedEx receipt that I received a month ago from Metro with the books that I won from the Jon Berk auction.

Invoice description was marked as "Used Comic Books" and Customs Duty was calculated as $0.00, but had to pay only the 5% GST tax plus an additional $10.00 handling or processing fee.  :gossip:

Hence, as I said earlier, Custom duties no longer applies to comic books shipped from the USA into Canada and has been that way for awhile now.  :whee:

Maybe I should  just keep this quiet, but I do not believe this is correct. Just thank Metro for being so nice. That is a big benefit of dealing with them -- for me it was anyway. Trust me, if they put the true $$ that you paid, you'd pay duty.  My Comic Shop  puts full disclosure $$ for customs, even when I asked them to match what Metro does, and they said no, and I paid believe me.... but never again.

and for what it's worth, I also don't know why I am talking about this in the AF15 thread.....

Edited by fishbone

On 1/5/2018 at 1:09 PM, fishbone said:
On 8/3/2017 at 8:09 PM, lou_fine said:

Just noticed my FedEx receipt that I received a month ago from Metro with the books that I won from the Jon Berk auction.

Invoice description was marked as "Used Comic Books" and Customs Duty was calculated as $0.00, but had to pay only the 5% GST tax plus an additional $10.00 handling or processing fee.  :gossip:

Hence, as I said earlier, Custom duties no longer applies to comic books shipped from the USA into Canada and has been that way for awhile now.  :whee:

Maybe I should  just keep this quiet, but I do not believe this is correct. Just thank Metro for being so nice. That is a big benefit of dealing with them -- for me it was anyway. Trust me, if they put the true $$ that you paid, you'd pay duty.  My Comic Shop  puts full disclosure $$ for customs, even when I asked them to match what Metro does, and they said no, and I paid believe me.... but never again.

and for what it's worth, I also don't know why I am talking about this in the AF15 thread.....

Yes, but if there were applicable Customs duties to be applied, should they have not charged it onto the amount owing?  hm

Especially since they had already invoiced me for the 5% GST taxes which was added to my amount owing.  :frown:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, but if there were applicable Customs duties to be applied, should they have not charged it onto the amount owing?  hm

Especially since they had already invoiced me for the 5% GST taxes which was added to my amount owing.  :frown:

There has not been Customs duty on comic BOOKS entering Canada from USA for more than 10 years that I can remember. If Canada Customs classifies your 'used comic books' as COLLECTIBLES (e.g. portfolio or comic book original art category) 2c, then Customs will assess you both gst and PST rate based on the province one resides in. Collector can then appeal to Canada Customs, and say the goods are comic BOOKS, thus tax should be reduced/recalculated based on the correct category.

Edited by aardvark88
sp.

30 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:
2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

There has not been Customs duty on comic BOOKS entering Canada from USA for more than 10 years that I can remember. If Canada Customs classifies your 'used comic books' as COLLECTIBLES (e.g. portfolio or comic book original art category) 2c, then Customs will assess you both gst and PST rate based on the province one resides in.

That's what I had figured in terms of no additional Customs duty charges for comic books anymore.  (thumbsu

Are you sure about the PST tax portion since I believe that I was charged for the additional 5% GST taxes only, with the PST box left blank.  (shrug)

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

(thumbsu

Are you sure about the PST tax portion since I believe that I was charged for the additional 5% GST taxes only, with the PST box left blank.  (shrug)

There should be no PST (just the 5% gst) on vintage/new comic BOOKS or graphic novels in Canada. There is PST on portfolios, comic t-shirts, original comic art, sketches, Pop toys.

On 8/13/2017 at 7:40 PM, peewee22 said:
On 8/13/2017 at 5:36 PM, Glassman10 said:

Indeed. I have a lot of VISA and MC I've gotten in the last six  years. It has actually outperformed 'the books" and I can sell it tomorrow. I'm keeping the stock and selling the book but not for the same reasons. The stock makes complete sense as an investment. The  book is really a passion.  I've had that AF15 for fifty years. Any further arguments just aren't rational.  Love what you love. 

Yes, love what you love. But don't misinterpret what people are saying. AF15 is an investment. Not like a stock, but it's dollar returns are as green. (thumbsu

But if it represents a down home payment for the kid, by all means, fullfill that dream.

Being a long time collector, I guess I will always see these books first and foremost as a treasured collectible, and if they happen to go up in value, that's just an extra bonus I was fortunate and happened to get from collecting them.  (thumbsu

But at the prices that some of these books such as AF 15 is going for, I can certainly understand the viewpoint of them as being an investment.  And yet from a personal point of view, I can never see myself spending the kind of money that it would take to buy an AF 15 in today's marketplace.  Likewise, I can never see myself buying into the digital cryptocurrencies which seems to be the latest hot investment fad after listening to the airheads on CNBC spew about them every single day while I was on my Australian and New Zealand cruise last month.  :blahblah:  :blahblah::blahblah:

I guess I am just more of a traditionalist when I think of investing, and yet I find myself willing to toss a bit of money into some of the highly volatile cannabis stocks even though virtually all of the financial analysts are warning against them and some of the investment houses are still refusing to process transactions involving these kinds of stocks.  :whatthe:

So, I guess I should never say never as I just might find myself bidding on an AF 15 one of these days, and it'll be at that point where these books will have crossed over the line from being just a collectible for me and sadly, becoming more of an investment for me.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

Spiderman took over # 1 spot long time ago from those two. Almost 1 billion at box office for a not so great flick and collectors keep lining up to collect Spiderman out there. 

Love Batman can't stand Super Man there's someone for everyone. Spiderman is for me!

15 hours ago, lou_fine said:

So, I guess I should never say never as I just might find myself bidding on an AF 15 one of these days, and it'll be at that point where these books will have crossed over the line from being just a collectible for me and sadly, becoming more of an investment for me.  hm

My 950 comics were never an investment-more of an obsession and I paid nothing for them beyond newsstand prices. Only one other person knew I even had them. When I think of all the times they could have been destroyed in a flood or  fire or from mice  in their moves across the country, I came to see that keeping them  had no future benefit for me at 68. The boy having a down payment is a better thing. BUT, once I sold the whole mess to Storms, I decided to get some books I never had read- all Dr Strange and I really enjoy them. No slabs, no 9.4's, just the comics.  The VISA/MC? All it does is to shave a percentage every time you use it. It doesn't lend money.  I would do that way before Cannabis stock or bitcoins- particulary bitcoins. I still remember a friend who was busted for grass in 1968 in high school. The judge gave him the choice of jail or Vietnam. He took Vietnam and died there. That left a sour taste for the rest of my life. 

But don't get me wrong, I love the comics and buy what I love, even now. Just no more AF15 for me. No slabs, just books. 

12 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

Spiderman took over # 1 spot long time ago from those two. Almost 1 billion at box office for a not so great flick and collectors keep lining up to collect Spiderman out there. 

Love Batman can't stand Super Man there's someone for everyone. Spiderman is for me!

If you are going based on movie grosses, then Iron Man far eclipses Spidey from a Marvel perspective. You could also argue that Wolverine is more popular based on the X-movies + collectors keep lining up to collect Wolverine.

Overall, Batman is still king across multiple platforms. Spidey has a ways to go to catch up, or even regain the heights in popularity it had when the original Sony movies came out.

2 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

Lou Fine can just swap that $1,000 speculative play on crytocurrency from last year straight across for AF #15 Cgc now. :wishluck: Looks like the sheep are all lining up to roll the dice on cryptocurrency now. Talked to my buddy yesterday who is traditionally satisfied with a steady GROSS :cry: 2% return on his mutual fund money who for some strange reason is looking glassy-eyed at those huge blockchain returns and wants to speculate today for these 'guaranteed' returns next year.