• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite title as a kid???

106 posts in this topic

What was your favorite title growing up, and what is your favorite title now? It might surprise you how much our tastes change over the years. My personal favorite was iron man. I couldn't get enough of him. I use to drain the quarter bins dry everywhere i went grabbing an issue here and there. I also used to indulge in a punisher book whenever i could. Now, i'm heavily into my j.l.a. hunting and the odd batman and robin back issue. I've gone from a marvel solo-character fan to a dc team-book fan. I'm curious to know what i'll be collecting in 15 years time. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As a little kid my Favs were Lil' Archie and Hot Stuff....

Then I found DC and Curt Swan's Superman....

Which then got bumped by Marvel and Romita's Spider-man....

By college time Byrne X-Men ruled...

But looking back now Avengers was always in a quality 2nd place throughout the years and is now my main emphasis in back issue collecting. I wished I had concentrated earlier on getting silverage Avengers.

If you mean Fav modern title...then Bendis' Daredevil is the one book I must get each month.

So if anything stands out to me over time is that I've gone to buying storyline content over artwork. Which is how the world is supposed to work as you get older and wiser.

Conan...Anything and everything CONAN. I was a nerdy little freak for that stuff. I still have lots of Savage Sword original art all over my house walls!

I also started to like stranger titles like Kent Williams "Blood: A Tale" series and anything touched by the hand of Sienkiewicz (not bad taste in art for a geeky teen, huh?)

Today, I still go for Conan (and I even scour back issue bins for old Savage Sword magazines, especially Buscema/Chan or Buscema/Nebres work), Daredevil, Ultimate Spider-Man, and NYX.

Lots of phases, all listed in order of preference...

Up until about sixth grade: Dennis the Menace, Mad, Little Archie, Jughead, Richie Rich, Sad Sack

Starting in seventh grade: Spider-man, Captain America, FF, Thor, Marvel Team-Up

In high school: Creepy, Eerie, Silver Surfer, Swamp Thing, anything Adams-or -Wrightson-related

Now: Batman, Superman, Dennis the Menace, Mad, Simpsons, Thor

wow, jeez. in chronological order; i think...

X-Men. Byrne instilled such a love for these characters in me that I kept buying the magazine even after he left, after Cockrum left - again - after Smith left, then Romita, then Silvestri...all the way until right about 275. I didn't even read the last forty or so. Heck, I bought the New Mutants, X-Factor and Excalibur, not to mention about a dozen four-issue limited series, too, strictly on the strength of those thirty-odd issues...

Fantastic Four. The Byrne years.

Avengers. The Perez years. Missed the Byrne ones somehow.

Thor. The Simonson years.

Daredevil. The Miller years.

The Hulk. 300 got me started, and I kept buying the thing in the hopes that it would turn good. Then I dumped the title right before McFarlane. doh

Actually, I had a decent little run of ROM, for reasons that escape me currently. I liked Akin & Garvey's style, I guess.

Moon Knight. Bill Sienkiewicz *ing RULED. Even if he was just an Adams clone at first.

American Flagg. Brilliant. Really.

Dreadstar. Hey, Starlin really worked hard on this title. Okay, it was decent for about ten issues, right up until the main villain got killed off. How do you keep a story going when the main bad guy dies?

Always a soft spot for the LOSH, too...and the Adventurers. Can't forget those cats