• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite title as a kid???

106 posts in this topic

Definitely Avengers. Was a bit of a Marvel Zombie and wouldn't even think of giving DC comics a second glance. I didn't "discover" Eisner, EC, and Barks until I was in college. Now I still read Avengers, but don't think I would say they are my favorite title....

As a kid in the mid 70's I would read

Beagle Boys

Super Goof

Mickey, Donald, Daisy

A little later on It turned to;

Archie , Jughead & rest of the gang.

As a teenager in the mid-late 80's

Judge Dredd. (Inspired by the guys from Anthrax. Song= I am the Law)

In my mid 20's during 1994-1996

X-Files

In my early 30's thru now.

(I have finally discovered Marvel Superheroes.)

Reading Marvel Masterworks hardcovers Eg: FF, Daredevil, The Avengers etc, etc

Also reading 1940's Blackhawk Comics smile.gif

What was your favorite title growing up, and what is your favorite title now? It might surprise you how much our tastes change over the years. My personal favorite was iron man. I couldn't get enough of him. I use to drain the quarter bins dry everywhere i went grabbing an issue here and there. I also used to indulge in a punisher book whenever i could. Now, i'm heavily into my j.l.a. hunting and the odd batman and robin back issue. I've gone from a marvel solo-character fan to a dc team-book fan. I'm curious to know what i'll be collecting in 15 years time. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Justiceleaguer, did you ever notice whenever you went to the quarter bins that the owner looked at you and thought, "cheapskate."

Sad Sack cloud9.gif

Absolutely - when I was a kid I loved Sad Sack thumbsup2.gif

As a pre-teen my fave was Captain America - Kirby, Steranko, Colan era.

A brief fling with ECs

and then in high school - The Freak Brothers headbang.gif

As an adult it switches around - probably 100 Bullets and Eightball right now- in the recent past going backwards - Sandman Mystery Theatre, Shade The Changing Man (Veritigo), & Hate all come to mind.

Archie until I was 9.

Action and Superman until Miller started writing Daredevil(when I was 15).

I was a big Cerebus fan for a while, until Dave went batty.

Starman just plain rocked. Great book from the first issue on.

These days, it's Bendis' Daredevil, Y the Last Man, Astonishing X-Men, Planetary. There's too much great work happening these days to pick just one.

Justiceleaguer, did you ever notice whenever you went to the quarter bins that the owner looked at you and thought, "cheapskate."

And our winner of the For-Gods-Sake-Get-Some-New-Material Shill Award is bu...I mean, devilneedswork! 27_laughing.gif

Kid - X-Men, ASM, Groo, Batman, Punisher

High School - Usagi Yojimbo, Bone, Scud, Thieves & Kings, Starchild, Ballads & Sagas, Milk & Cheese, Punisher

Now - Conan, Optic Nerve, Goon, Red Star, Hellboy, Punisher

When I was a kid I loved Iron Man and Losh...

I never read an X-men or a FF book before I was deep into my twenties....they just weren't available confused-smiley-013.gif

And our winner of the For-Gods-Sake-Get-Some-New-Material Shill Award is bu...I mean, devilneedswork! 27_laughing.gif

Red Hook, my comment wasn't intended as an insult. I just wanted to know if he gets the look from owners thinking cheapskate. Not all comic owners are nice guys as any longtime comic purchaser would know. Besides, you can just do a search on the bad experiences some members go through in a comic shop. You're reading too much into it. By the way, since you like to follow me around and check up on what I write and reply like a troll for some reason, calling me devilneedswork, even though my name is right there-- you obviously need better prescription glasses. That's not a joke, that's a fact. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Started reading U.S. comics when I was 9 (1972/3), and was into all the DC horror books, as well as Batman, JLA, Superman. And of course Mad magazine.

Three years later, I got into the Marvels: Daredevil (my favorite at the time, partly because back issues were cheap), Warlock, Cap, Spidey (when I could find them - they weren't distributed), FF, Avengers.

By the early 80s, in my late teens, my interest in Super-hero comics was waning a little and I got into UGs and ground level comics. Still bought the quality work such as Swamp Thing, DK, Watchmen, V, etc.

Now I still read a handful of books - Y, Conan, Planetary, 100 Bullets, Tom Strong, and the odd miniseries such as the Bullseye origin 5 parter or Thor: Vikings. And Daredevil, after all these years.....

frank_gehry_worldcup2004_trophy.jpg

Avengers

I started buying comics new with issue 101 stopped with issue 170 or so. My favorite story arc off the rack on the title was the Roxxon/hellcat storyline. I got free or bought everthing but number 1 as a teen. My favorite back isse storylines were Kree/Skrull, Yellowjacket/Ultron. I couldn't stand the earlier books Don Heck drew. I remeber he did a 2 story arc during the mid 140s and reading them after reading the Roxxon Perez stuff was like Watching Star Wars Episode One. For shorter runs I thought the Starlin Captain Marvel and Warlock series were fantastic at the time.

I collected again in my 20s and early 30s from about 86-93 and really liked the X-Men at first but the book deteriorated so badly I didnt miss reading it when I got married and stopped collecting. Other storylines I really liked were Akira, V for Vendetta, Sandman, Simononson's Thor( still great) and the Silver Surfer series. I'm re reading that now and love the art. I always liked Steve Ditko's Dr. Strange and I think Rodgers/Lim both pay homage to Dirtko with the style used on the series

Elementary School: Superman, Sad Sack and Richie Rich

Junior High School: Mad

High-School: FF, Spidey, Thor, Dr. Strange

College: Undergrounds, Conan

Title of the '90s: Hate

Current Fave: Simpsons

Red Hook, my comment wasn't intended as an insult. I just wanted to know if he gets the look from owners thinking cheapskate. Not all comic owners are nice guys as any longtime comic purchaser would know. Besides, you can just do a search on the bad experiences some members go through in a comic shop. You're reading too much into it. By the way, since you like to follow me around and check up on what I write and reply like a troll for some reason, calling me devilneedswork, even though my name is right there-- you obviously need better prescription glasses. That's not a joke, that's a fact. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Try the BS somewhere else, dude. Not buying it. You're a shill. You came on and in your first 10 posts you insulted several established board members. Not only are you a shill, you're a jerk. makepoint.gif