• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of My 50 Year Junk Obsession
16 16

3,216 posts in this topic

Around the corner was Ritchie Munchin. Some just draw dropping books way out of my league but always talk a little baseball with him. Got there just as he was putting out his famous stacks of $10 and $5. each GA and SA. Just readers but some fun stuff that I just couldn’t resist. He always “salts” the piles a bit. Since I was there first, I picked them all out! 

IMG_9297.jpeg

IMG_9287.jpeg

IMG_9288.jpeg

IMG_9289.jpeg

IMG_9286.jpeg

Saw a guy at the flea market yesterday with tables full of magazines and books all just strewn around. He had a bunch of just OK Men’s sweat mags, crime mags and  a couple digests. I picked out about a half dozen or so and asked the price. I figured they would be the usual $5. to maybe $10. price. Instead, it told me they “varied”. He proceeded to quote me $40.-$60. apiece prices. He really had no idea and mentioned “internet” prices. He might have been somewhat correct on a couple but, I wasn’t about paying that unless they were spectacular and they wern’t so I just left them. Haven’t seen any old PBs in the wild for quite a while. 

A very cool item I spotted at the flea market was this cool Aesops Fables stuffed doll from the late 1920’s. Talk about rare. I have had a few different characters from this small series over the years but rarely see them anymore. We both remarked how sadly, no one remembers these characters any more but she was firm on $450. So I shuffled off…

IMG_9298.jpeg

Bob, good to see you at the show. The Fight Comics you picked up from Dale had such beautiful colors!

One vendor who had some amazing pulps was Bedrock - he had boxes of CGC slabs of many early ERB related pulps (Argosy and Blue Book). He also had some sweet raw romance pulps from 1933. Terry also had several boxes of raw pulps, including Weird Tales going back to 1926. I bought 11 pulps at the Con and am very happy with them.

Overall, Torpedo Con was a fantastic show for me as a collector!

Edited by sacentaur

On 7/22/2024 at 8:11 AM, sacentaur said:

Bob, good to see you at the show. The Fight Comics you picked up from Dale had such beautiful colors!

One vendor who had some amazing pulps was Bedrock - he had boxes of CGC slabs of many early ERB related pulps (Argosy and Blue Book). He also had some sweet raw romance pulps from 1933. Terry also had several boxes of raw pulps, including Weird Tales going back to 1926. I bought 11 pulps at the Con and am very happy with them.

Likewise Steve. Always great to see a fun fellow collector. Might be insignificant to most but I’ve been after a nice copy of that Fight forever.

Down to Rangers #3 and about 20 Planets to be done with FH.

None of the pulps I saw were in my wheelhouse. Those romance ones Ritchie had were tempting but not what I’m after.

Was happy to pick fresh dealer’s stock without the hassle and expense of SDCC. I got a nice small pile of cool stuff. Fun show.

On 7/22/2024 at 8:11 AM, Deathlok said:

Great postings, RM!  I see you are local to me as well.  I been out of it for awhile, but knowing that Glendale had TorpedoCon may get me back into it.

Was a great show. Lots of fun folks and something for every body with out the hassle and expense of the big shows. You really should give it a try next year. One of the best SO CA shows! 

I was there on Sunday.  The attendance looked pretty light. Dealers were pretty much closing down 30-40 minutes early.  Pricing seems more realistic than last year’s event.  

On 7/22/2024 at 10:10 AM, Robot Man said:

So, instead, I settled on this early turn of the century advertising heavy chipboard hanging sign for $25. Early football? Soft drink. A steal.

IMG_9300.jpeg

Close… he’s a rugby player. It’s a British brand. 

On 7/22/2024 at 12:27 PM, Robot Man said:

Down to Rangers #3 and about 20 Planets to be done with FH..

All Fiction House?! That’s super impressive! Those early oversized Jumbos are tough! 

Big historic runs like that are a testament to persistence.  :golfclap:

On 7/22/2024 at 8:11 AM, sacentaur said:

It was nice bumping into you and chatting as well Steve.  Hope you picked up something good at the show! :cheers:

On 7/21/2024 at 7:18 PM, Robot Man said:

IMG_9283.jpeg

Check out Chamber of Chills 19 there… it doesn’t even have a “classic cover” notation! At least not on the right, where it usually is located…

CGC must’ve run the well dry of “classic” designations by assigning that moniker loosely of late to every pulp with a skull, skeleton, almost-naked girl, girl in a tube, etc…