• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artist producing low quality work today...
2 2

55 posts in this topic

In your opinion;
who are the artist producing the lowest quality work today?

For me: Kevin Nowlan
when you see the covers he made for Hal Jordan Green Lantern
is like he is not trying anymore.

4354321.jpg

I'm not sure I agree at all, but I don't think this is forum (original art sub-forum) is the right area for this topic.  Unless you want to speculate on his value trend based on what you see or collectablility (which again appears to be different to what I see - a cover that seems drawn with the colorists input in mind, as well as a lot of trade dress).

Edited by GotSuperPowers?

17 minutes ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

I'm not sure I agree at all, but I don't think this is forum (original art sub-forum) is the right area for this topic.  Unless you want to speculate on his value trend based on what you see or collectablility (which again appears to be different to what I see - a cover that seems drawn with the colorists input in mind, as well as a lot of trade dress).

Almost every artist had a high and low point in his career,
I don't see why we cannot discuss the best and the worst of them...

25 minutes ago, MagnusX said:

In your opinion;

For me: Kevin Nowlan
when you see the covers he made for Hal Jordan Green Lantern
is like he is not trying anymore.

I need some clarification on your question.

Do you mean, which artist is producing art you don't like and therefore it's low quality? If that's the case, the topic will soon be swamped by Liefeld-haters and, thereafter, replies by Liefeld-fans, and it won't really go anywhere.

Do you mean, which artist used to produce art of a higher quality and has now gone downhill? If that's the case, I can think of several artists who I used to enjoy more but their style or approach has changed. I like the "old" Bill Sienkiewicz better than the one who wasn't following in Neal Adams' footsteps but that's on me, not him. Artistically, Bill S. was never going to grow as an artist if he continued following another man's style too closely. 

Or do you mean something else? From the image above, I think Kevin Nowlan was definitely giving an effort. In my eyes, that's a solid, professional comic book cover.

6 minutes ago, Hal Turner said:

I need some clarification on your question.

Do you mean, which artist is producing art you don't like and therefore it's low quality? If that's the case, the topic will soon be swamped by Liefeld-haters and, thereafter, replies by Liefeld-fans, and it won't really go anywhere.

Do you mean, which artist used to produce art of a higher quality and has now gone downhill? If that's the case, I can think of several artists who I used to enjoy more but their style or approach has changed. I like the "old" Bill Sienkiewicz better than the one who wasn't following in Neal Adams' footsteps but that's on me, not him. Artistically, Bill S. was never going to grow as an artist if he continued following another man's style too closely.

Or do you mean something else? From the image above, I think Kevin Nowlan was definitely giving an effort. In my eyes, that's a solid, professional comic book cover.

My question is:

In your own opinion
what artist had a decline in the art they produce today
compared to what they produce yesterday...

This will just turn into a thread on artists work people don't care for anymore. What does "decline in the art" mean? If an artist changes his or her style like JRJR or Bill Sienkiewicz, some will not like the change and consider it a decline. I can only see this thread going down the toilet.

I don't have any desire to add input to call out artists that may not be putting out the same quality as once before - pretty subjective and likely leads to bashing IMO. 

I would like to add that I don't feel the cover above is indicative at all the Nowlan is not trying. 

Kevin Nowlan can and does regularly pencil and ink circles around almost anyone in the industry.

That doesn't mean he's immune from creating less than perfect images. It also doesn't mean, should be create a particular image that isn't pleasing to anyone's particular eye, that his work is "Low Quality" across the board. 

Edited by comix4fun

JRJR is the worst artist out there and it's not close in my opinion.  How an editor can look at that and still publish it is beyond me.  I avoid everything he touches like the plague.  His older stuff is fine, but now ugh.

You know, I don't feel the need to criticize artists' work that I don't like. I'm not sure what purpose it serves. If I don't like it, I don't buy it. And, if others do, and drive up prices for it beyond where I think they should be, what do I care? I'm not buying any of it. Let those folks who like the art enjoy it. Or, if they are speculating on it, that's on them.

I buy stuff that I like. 

I probably have a higher opinion of Greg Land than most people. So what? It means I can buy some really great pages for much cheaper than I'd have to pay for them if he was a big favorite. That's good for me! Especially his later stuff where he's not doing as much photo-referencing (or tracing, for the people who like ragging on him). This hobby is really quirky, and tied to nostalgia and sentimentality so much that if a couple of collectors with deep pockets just happen to have the same sentimental attachment to a particular comic, by a particular artist, pages from that book could sell for quite a bit and ignite the market for that artist. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

I believe it is possible to have an objective conversation about comic art. But having attempted to do so on these boards in the past, I'm now in the camp that it is a bad idea for a public thread - as a group, we're not mature enough to handle it. Especially me, I always feel an incredible urge to post images of Liefeld's Enchantress... I rarely resist said urge.

16 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

I believe it is possible to have an objective conversation about comic art. But having attempted to do so on these boards in the past, I'm now in the camp that it is a bad idea for a public thread - as a group, we're not mature enough to handle it. Especially me, I always feel an incredible urge to post images of Liefeld's Enchantress... I rarely resist said urge.

I'm so glad I skipped the whole 90's comics scene. (thumbsu

5 hours ago, Pirate said:

JRJR is the worst artist out there and it's not close in my opinion.  How an editor can look at that and still publish it is beyond me.  I avoid everything he touches like the plague.  His older stuff is fine, but now ugh.

JRJR is a better artists than you, me and most who post here.

Just now, Brian Peck said:

JRJR is a better artists than you, me and most who post here.

What a dumb statement.

8 hours ago, cloud cloddie said:

I don't understand why this is even a thread. What a useless topic. 

We can criticize  films, music, books but criticizing  OA quality is useless?   (shrug)

Are we not mature enough to read other board members opinions on their likes and dislikes of  an artist without taking it personal and calling for  death by stoning.

if you can't emotionally handle someone disliking what your favorite artist is producing , then just avoid this thread.  

I think the discussion can be had, without personal attacks.  Keep it Civil.

Edited by Matches_Malone
Add

1 hour ago, Matches_Malone said:

We can criticize  films, music, books but criticizing  OA quality is useless?   (shrug)

Are we not mature enough to read other board members opinions on their likes and dislikes of  an artist without taking it personal and calling for  death by stoning.

if you can't emotionally handle someone disliking what your favorite artist is producing , then just avoid this thread.  

I think the discussion can be had, without personal attacks.  Keep it Civil.

This thread isn't about likes and dislikes. It was started solely for dislikes. 

On 7/30/2017 at 5:06 PM, MagnusX said:

In your opinion;

If the thread was 'which artists work has changed over the years', then I agree a discussion could be had. And has been in other threads, with positive and negative comments both, but constructive nonetheless. 

I stand by my opinion that a thread solely for calling out perceived subpar work is a useless thread. And insinuating immaturity and emotional deficiency seems more of a personal attack, but whatever. I'll chalk it up to you defining civil the same way you define productive discussion. (thumbsu

4 hours ago, cloud cloddie said:

This thread isn't about likes and dislikes. It was started solely for dislikes. 

If the thread was 'which artists work has changed over the years', then I agree a discussion could be had. And has been in other threads, with positive and negative comments both, but constructive nonetheless. 

I stand by my opinion that a thread solely for calling out perceived subpar work is a useless thread. And insinuating immaturity and emotional deficiency seems more of a personal attack, but whatever. I'll chalk it up to you defining civil the same way you define productive discussion. (thumbsu

I don't see where I defined a civil discussion and productive discussion as been the same.