• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What else do you collect??
18 18

1,547 posts in this topic

On 2/5/2020 at 7:49 PM, Robot Man said:

Anybody collect nodders or as they call them now "bobble heads"?

66nod1a.jpg

These are great! I wish I had a few more advertising ones. I find the occasional sports bobble, but all the advertising ones get gobbled up before people even unpack their trucks. The closest I get to these are the Dotz books.

2 hours ago, mlansdown said:

In addition to my comic book and art affliction, I also love early comic and advertising pinbacks.  I post some of my collection on my pinback website:  www.pinbacks.com

Here are some recent purchases that I haven't had time to file way in the collection yet:

pinbacks.jpg

So many great buttons here! All the Andy Gump ones jump out at me because I'm on a little Sunday funnies kick again, digging through some old sections and tearsheets. The Skeezix caught my eye, as did Buster, and about forty others.  :cloud9:

1 hour ago, pmpknface said:

No kidding!  I have a few other Taschen books, some smaller but I also have this one on magic posters from the early 1900's.  This one is also about 500+ pages.  I have it on display in a room at all times (for the moment, my daughter is only 16 months so there is a time coming...) using one of the Taschen display stands.  

Oh, it's got info from Ricky Jay if you know who he his.  If you don't google him and look at his videos.  It'll blow your mind!  He owns a bunch of the images pictured in this book.  If you dig anything "pulp" you'd totally love this!  There are also smaller volumes of this book broken up into 2 parts.  

Mind-numbing images for sure. I can't look at the book long - seriously. I get sensory overload. I'm prone to such. 

I didn't pull the trigger on the $200 volume when I first saw it years ago. I'm pretty sure I'll find it someday for $50 or so. The smaller volume has enough lithography on display to overwhelm as it is.

Taschen knocked this project out of the park, but then again, when don't they?  hm

Edited by PopKulture

10 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Yeah, Elvgren seems to have emerged as the most iconic of that Big 3 of pin-ups: Petty, Vargas, and Elvgren. That would've been unheard of in the 70's when Esquires were hotly collected and almost nobody even knew who he was. His style is so whimsical and his women so vivacious. Great stuff.  (thumbsu

He uses mostly one or two models. Supposedly, his wife. (Lucky guy). She was a doll!

8 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

These are great! I wish I had a few more advertising ones. I find the occasional sports bobble, but all the advertising ones get gobbled up before people even unpack their trucks. The closest I get to these are the Dotz books.

I’m probably that “gobbler”. Yeah, the advertising ones are real tough and can get pricey. I’ve got a few dealers that save them for me but they don’t find many any more. I’ve only seen one other Phillips 66 one. 

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

He uses mostly one or two models. Supposedly, his wife. (Lucky guy). She was a doll!

Total doll!  The paperback artist Robert Stanley used his wife as a model as well, along with a few other guys I've read about. That's a vertically-integrated household!  :idea:

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

I’m probably that “gobbler”. Yeah, the advertising ones are real tough and can get pricey. I’ve got a few dealers that save them for me but they don’t find many any more. I’ve only seen one other Phillips 66 one. 

Yep, you're definitely a gobbler! Wear the title with pride.  :devil:

Our area has a small band of them as well - guys a few years in the hobby longer than crabby me. You have to be really diligent to beat them to the punch, but it can be done. They're not too bad to deal with if they find something you want, unless of course it's slated for Morphy's or Heritage.  O.o

10 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

So many great buttons here! All the Andy Gump ones jump out at me because I'm on a little Sunday funnies kick again, digging through some old sections and tearsheets. The Skeezix caught my eye, as did Buster, and about forty others.  :cloud9:

You missed the More Fun comics one (in the paper holder). Also the Evening Ledger ones in the lower right corner is a “grail” set. From a PA newspaper. I’ve never seen the Skeezix ice cream pin. 

A lot of the Sunday funnies ones are a little more common. Although, I rarely run into even these in the wild much anymore. 

13 hours ago, AJLewandoski said:

Designer atomic era furniture. This set was produced in 1958 and is quite rare. I have almost all the pieces from the line in the ad, and even more that aren't featured. This piece just happens to be my favorite because it was my first, and I pulled it from a thrift store for a steal. (thumbsu

Congrats on some under-appreciated gems. I have a friend in Indiana who rents to a company that does nothing but mid-century and industrial. Their warehouse is always great to peruse.  Coincidentally, I was looking through a few issues from the 40's of Pencil Points the other day and your ad totally reminds me of the general feel of Points. I like all the depictions and renderings of glass curtain walls and open plans, theater designs, storefronts, etc. 

5 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

You missed the More Fun comics one (in the paper holder). Also the Evening Ledger ones in the lower right corner is a “grail” set. From a PA newspaper. I’ve never seen the Skeezix ice cream pin. 

A lot of the Sunday funnies ones are a little more common. Although, I rarely run into even these in the wild much anymore. 

Yeah, Felix, Minnie, and even Tracy-wannabe Dan Dunn! I can't gush about every one I like because I'd run out of space! The political buttons aren't half bad either, but like you, I appreciate the character and advertising buttons the most. :cloud9:

I'm a big fan of Korean and Japanese movies so I import a lot for my movie collection. That and comics are my big collections. I like collecting old science things too, but I havent bought much for this collection yet. I also used to collect old video game things and magic cards too. Sadly I dont have pictures of those on my phone at the moment.

g2f7530t70r11.jpg

54emmb0xggi11.jpg

2bqzoc42mey11.jpg

I like these a bit, but I don't collect the pricey ones.... and they can get real pricey. This is one of those Saturday Matinee movies featuring Steve Reeves.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

DSCN8672 (3).JPG

12 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Yeah, Felix, Minnie, and even Tracy-wannabe Dan Dunn! I can't gush about every one I like because I'd run out of space! The political buttons aren't half bad either, but like you, I appreciate the character and advertising buttons the most. :cloud9:

8696C65A-FEC8-433C-AB9A-E4C88B498A35.jpeg

14 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Congrats on some under-appreciated gems. I have a friend in Indiana who rents to a company that does nothing but mid-century and industrial. Their warehouse is always great to peruse.  Coincidentally, I was looking through a few issues from the 40's of Pencil Points the other day and your ad totally reminds me of the general feel of Points. I like all the depictions and renderings of glass curtain walls and open plans, theater designs, storefronts, etc. 

Pencil Points is fantastic, I have a handful of issues in my magazine rack. One of my other favorite designers, George Nelson, wrote a handful of articles for them in the 30's talking to some of the great architects of the era Le Corbusier and Mies van der Rohe, they're a great read.

The curtains in the background here are a screenprint by George Nelson. My wife managed to make it on to Antiques Roadshow with them. 

Oh and I suppose I collect arcades too since it happens to be in this picture :shy:

20200203_052842.jpg

7 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

I like these a bit, but I don't collect the pricey ones.... and they can get real pricey. This is one of those Saturday Matinee movies featuring Steve Reeves.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I think that one is by Reynold Brown. All his work saw a price bump when the book came out. Do you collect all manner of movie inserts or Steve Reeves stuff?  

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

8696C65A-FEC8-433C-AB9A-E4C88B498A35.jpeg

Great variety!! Old-timey stuff like Berry Bros. and some nice, sleek stuff like the Platter Pal and RCA buttons. That Liberty flour one jumps out to me, as does the Red Diamond Overalls. The clickers are great, too. First class stuff as always.  (thumbsu

10 hours ago, AJLewandoski said:

Pencil Points is fantastic, I have a handful of issues in my magazine rack. One of my other favorite designers, George Nelson, wrote a handful of articles for them in the 30's talking to some of the great architects of the era Le Corbusier and Mies van der Rohe, they're a great read.

The curtains in the background here are a screenprint by George Nelson. My wife managed to make it on to Antiques Roadshow with them. 

Oh and I suppose I collect arcades too since it happens to be in this picture :shy:

20200203_052842.jpg

Nice early one, but I don't recognize the game. Is it a Nutting? I used to have a Computer Quiz and other old stuff, but busted it up years ago to store more pinballs. Heartbreakingly, my brother and I sold a Maneater for $100 decades ago just to clear space. I really wish I had that one back!! I only have a few videos, being an EM guy and all. I have a Space Invaders and a silly car-crash game called Head-On. My brother kept a Sprint, too I think. Fun times chasing down those machines in the 80's.  :cloud9:

Edited by PopKulture

1 hour ago, PopKulture said:

Nice early one, but I don't recognize the game, Is it a Nutting? I used to have a Computer Quiz and other old stuff but busted it up years ago to store more pinballs. Heartbreakingly, my brother and I sold a Maneater for $100 decades ago just to clear space. I really wish I had that one back!! I only have a few videos, being an EM guy and all. I have a Space Invaders and a silly car-crash game called Head-On. My brother kept a Sprint, too I think. Fun times chasing down those machines in the 80's.  :cloud9:

Actually it's a Nintendo Vs. model from '84 affectionately known as a "Red Tent" plays up to 4 players and has monitors on both sides. I just bought it last weekend, that's why it's in my living room, and not with the rest of the games upstairs. It's a broader "Nintendo" collection, not only the arcades. Everything from the NES up until today, including the arcades, and imported stuff from their pre video game days in Japan. 

22005901.jpg