• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL 3 (2020)
7 7

864 posts in this topic

I wonder how Gunn would handle the X-Men or FF? Something in me thinks he could make a really interesting Fantastic Four movie. 

On 7/29/2021 at 2:10 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I wonder how Gunn would handle the X-Men or FF? Something in me thinks he could make a really interesting Fantastic Four movie. 

Oof. I would keep his mitts off of any other title. Same with Waititi. I can only handle so much comedy. At some points I want/need some stakes and gravity.

I really would like to see a serious MCU property. Even with how good Infinity War was, you had scenes like Banner tripping over a rock. At some point you have to self-reflect and recognize when enough is enough.

On 7/29/2021 at 8:49 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Oof. I would keep his mitts off of any other title. Same with Waititi. I can only handle so much comedy. At some points I want/need some stakes and gravity.

I really would like to see a serious MCU property. Even with how good Infinity War was, you had scenes like Banner tripping over a rock. At some point you have to self-reflect and recognize when enough is enough.

I was thinking more that he might just grasp the weirdness factor that needs to be present if they're doing their origin story, but I do feel FF allows for some comedy between Johnny and Ben, Ben and Reed, Johnny and Sue, and Sue and Reed, and Reed and everyone, when appropriate. Just no toilet paper grabbing, and not so much the first movie. 

Could he grasp the vast Kirbyness of it all? The fact they're more explorers than anything else? I don't know. That's what got me wondering. I do want a more serious FF, that's for sure. I want a wondrous movie. Could Gunn get that, and tone down his humour some? I think so, thinking back to Guardians 1 and them coming upon Knowhere. That was the right scale. 

On 7/29/2021 at 7:14 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I was thinking more that he might just grasp the weirdness factor that needs to be present if they're doing their origin story, but I do feel FF allows for some comedy between Johnny and Ben, Ben and Reed, Johnny and Sue, and Sue and Reed, and Reed and everyone, when appropriate. Just no toilet paper grabbing, and not so much the first movie. 

Could he grasp the vast Kirbyness of it all? The fact they're more explorers than anything else? I don't know. That's what got me wondering. I do want a more serious FF, that's for sure. I want a wondrous movie. Could Gunn get that, and tone down his humour some? I think so, thinking back to Guardians 1 and them coming upon Knowhere. That was the right scale. 

I don't think that Gunn can go more than 1 minute without breaking the atmosphere with a joke. His 3rd Acts are all ridiculous. As much as I love GotG Vol. 1, the dance-off is pure cringe. There's literally no good reason that Ronan doesn't just destroy him and Xandar right there.

On 7/29/2021 at 9:18 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't think that Gunn can go more than 1 minute without breaking the atmosphere with a joke. His 3rd Acts are all ridiculous. As much as I love GotG Vol. 1, the dance-off is pure cringe. There's literally no good reason that Ronan doesn't just destroy him and Xandar right there.

Yeah that does make me cringe. I'm imagining Mr Fantastic's bachelor party from Rise Of The Silver Surfer in place of that. It ain't pretty. 

On 7/29/2021 at 7:14 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I do want a more serious FF, that's for sure.

Except - we basically got that with the Josh Trank FF.

Your mileage may vary, but I actually really liked the first half of the Trank FF film.

It only truly fell apart in the last half hour.

On 7/29/2021 at 2:10 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I think James Gunn's world is that of the anti-hero and the misunderstood. Anything else and I think he's not making an honest film. The Fantastic Four movie needs to be more pure of heart than Gunn might be comfortable with.

I think this John Watts guy might be a good fit for the First Family. Nothing fancy, just get the characters right. They're explorers and they're a family. Visually, however, the Fantastic Four poses problems. How do you make a stretching guy not look silly in real life? How do you make a woman who turns invisible visually compelling? How do you make the Thing not look fake? This movie has to nail the Thing.

A lot is riding on this Fantastic Four movie. The MCU needs them. I think Marvel gets it right or at least comes a lot closer than what's come before.

On 7/29/2021 at 11:45 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Except - we basically got that with the Josh Trank FF.

Your mileage may vary, but I actually really liked the first half of the Trank FF film.

It only truly fell apart in the last half hour.

You're not wrong, as they did go for a serious film. The writing was just bad, though. I didn't find any of the characters compelling, and although the director has said that Fox butchered his film somehow, it felt really poorly directed too.

They had some decent actors and none of them had good performances in that movie. I really have a difficult time thinking of a single redeeming scene from that movie. I only saw it once, on cable TV.

X-Men went for some serious-toned films, too. Either of them could likely be done justice by the MCU in a serious environment. You can still have the humor between Johnny and Ben while maintaining a serious atmosphere for the group, especially now that the multiverse consequences be involved.

Yeah, it all derives from "funny books", and well-timed comedy is an important factor for any movie, but this could be the direction that the MCU needs to maintain its relevance and success. It's just like how I think that SHAZAM brings that comedic balance to Worlds of DC.

James Gunn did his fair share of killing off characters in The Suicide Squad, but that was DC and it was rated R. So what about Gunn’s upcoming film for the MCU? Will Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 feature character deaths? Gunn says yes.

“Guardians of the Galaxy has a family film element to it, so I’m telling that story to a lot of different people. When Rocket says to Drax, ‘I’m gonna shoot you in the face and kill you,’ we don’t as an audience think in two seconds he’s going to pull out his gun and we’re going to see Drax’s face disappear. In this movie, The Suicide Squad, they say they’re going to shoot each other in the face, and they not only say it, they actually do it. We know that can happen at any time.”

Gunn added:

“Whereas in Guardians, yes, obviously I killed Yondu, I killed the big original Groot, but it isn’t the same thing. We know most of them are going to make it out alive. At least for two movies.”

Gunn continued:
“The last Marvel project, who knows, but I see it as my last Guardians movie,” Gunn told ET about Vol. 3. “I’m a guy who never says never because I’ve seen too many people say ‘never’ and be pulled back into the fray, so I wouldn’t say that. But I see it as being my last Guardians movie. I know [Drax actor] Dave [Bautista] sees it as being his last Guardians movie, and Dave and I are pretty much attached to the hip on those projects. So I don’t see me going on and doing any more after that.”

Suicide Squad has him on a superhero killing spree :ohnoez:

On 8/9/2021 at 4:02 PM, Bosco685 said:

Suicide Squad has him on a superhero killing spree :ohnoez:

One of the things that The Dark Knight Rises did right was killing off Batman while giving Bruce Wayne a happy ending. It often comes down to one or the other. Do you kill off most of the characters at the end of a trilogy? Not a happy ending. Do the Guardians just stop trying to save the galaxy? Doesn't feel right.

The problem with bringing characters back (Loki, Gamora, Vision) is that you violate the meaningful end to their character.

On 7/29/2021 at 11:33 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

I think James Gunn's world is that of the anti-hero and the misunderstood. Anything else and I think he's not making an honest film. The Fantastic Four movie needs to be more pure of heart than Gunn might be comfortable with.

I think this John Watts guy might be a good fit for the First Family. Nothing fancy, just get the characters right. They're explorers and they're a family. Visually, however, the Fantastic Four poses problems. How do you make a stretching guy not look silly in real life? How do you make a woman who turns invisible visually compelling? How do you make the Thing not look fake? This movie has to nail the Thing.

A lot is riding on this Fantastic Four movie. The MCU needs them. I think Marvel gets it right or at least comes a lot closer than what's come before.

I thought they did a good job with Korg in Thor: Ragnorak...they can do something similar for Thing. Moe concerned about your comment on Mr. Fantastic to be honest.

See the source image

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is set to begin principal photography by the end of the year, and helmer James Gunn is hard at work plotting away every shot involved in the film. As has been the norm throughout the filmmaker's career, he's been busy storyboarding the entire feature, sketching out one card per shot in the movie. Sunday afternoon, Gunn posted his latest accomplishment, the biggest stack of storyboards he's completed for the film yet.

As the director himself says, it only covers seven-and-a-third -script pages.

:whatthe:

Depending on who you talk to, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 may have found its Adam Warlock. Saturday morning, rumors quickly spread around the internet suggesting Will Poulter has been cast as the fan-favorite cosmic character. The rumors are rooted in a report from The Cosmic Circus, which says their sources have indicated there's been chatter "going around behind the scenes" that supports the casting claim.

Also of note is that as of this writing, James Gunn has yet to debunk the report, much like he's done with other such internet rumors. Though Cosmic Circus makes note they don't feel comfortable enough to claim it as a definitive report, they suggest all signs are pointing toward it being accurate.

Interestingly enough, Will Poulter was once set to star in Amazon's Lord of the Rings television series but dropped out because of scheduling conflicts. That took place in early 2020, and the series has already been renewed for a second season. Perhaps Poulter and his camp had already been in talks with Marvel Studios and they didn't want to get locked down because something was brewing.