• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL 3 (2020)
7 7

864 posts in this topic

On 10/12/2021 at 8:44 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Strange Tales #178-181, Warlock #9-11, Avengers Annual #7, and Marvel Two-in-One Annual #2 make up some of the best post-60's Marvel Comics storytelling ever. The early Jim Starlin story arc of Adam Warlock vs Magus and Thanos with a Soul Stone in the middle of it all.

As far as discovering Adam Warlock, I was too young to discover those Strange Tales comics, but old enough in the 80's to find these Fantasy Masterpieces Lee Surfer reprints around with the interesting "back story" character before Warlock made a comeback in the 90's Infinity Gauntlet. Before the days of trade paperbacks and Marvel Unlimited, that's how many of us were introduced to older characters and older stories, reprints series like Fantasy Masterpieces and Marvel Tales.

I love when you speak for everyone else. 

talk-about-credibility-michael-che.gif.93a0369d41ed0c1cc3581e40ef4f7e6c.gif
:baiting:

Kind of like when you and Chester (of Spike & Chester fame) noted it was odd I was even here. I don't even collect CGC books.

(:

On 10/12/2021 at 8:50 AM, Bosco685 said:

I love when you speak for everyone else.

I mean, is there some other way that kids who grew up in the 80's and 90's could discover older comic book stories that I'm not aware of? (Besides paying cash for older comic books at the comic shop or having a dad who collected)

On 10/12/2021 at 9:22 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

I mean, is there some other way that kids who grew up in the 80's and 90's could discover older comic book stories that I'm not aware of? (Besides paying cash for older comic books at the comic shop or having a dad who collected)

Your assumption was your experience spoke for most. Trust me. Jim Starlin's Warlock contributions were legend long before any reprints. Which is why they have been in demand for decades.

According to sources, a number of actors have been in contention for the role since at least late August, with Bridgerton breakout Regé-Jean Page considering it and 1917‘s George MacKay on the shortlist.

On 10/12/2021 at 9:26 AM, Bosco685 said:

Your assumption was your experience spoke for most. Trust me. Jim Starlin's Warlock contributions were legend long before any reprints. Which is why they have been in demand for decades.

Yes, I know that Jim Starlin and Warlock were around way before I discovered them. I was speaking for most comics readers who discovered those stories (or comic books) for the first time in the 80's or 90's. Adam Warlock wasn't a big cross-over character because he died at the end of Avengers Annual #7 and didn't reappear in continuity again until the Infinity Gauntlet series of the early 90's. If us readers who were either young or neophytes discovering comics were going to discover Adam Warlock before the Infinity Gauntlet, it was most likely in the Fantasy Masterpieces reprints or the Warlock Special Editions that came out a little later. The only other reprint I can think of was the Hulk Marvel Treasury Edition that featured the Hulk Warlock Counter-Earth story.

On 10/12/2021 at 10:43 AM, Bosco685 said:

Again, love how you speak for many

Love how you take me out of context just for the sake of argument. Most comics readers who were young or new to comics in the 80's and discovered Adam Warlock did so through Fantasy Masterpieces reprints or the Warlock Special Edition reprint.

If James Gunn makes another 70's early 80's rock soundtrack for GOTG3 the way he's done for the first two movies, a great "theme song" for Adam Warlock would be "Doctor My Eyes" by Jackson Browne. It's music is energetic and upbeat, yet it's meaning is infinitely sad. Only issue is it's owned by DC Daddy Warner Bros.

On 10/12/2021 at 1:28 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Love how you take me out of context just for the sake of argument. Most comics readers who were young or new to comics in the 80's and discovered Adam Warlock did so through Fantasy Masterpieces reprints or the Warlock Special Edition reprint.

Unfortunately with your track record of establishing alternative comic book and movie history, it's hard not to.

Just realize you set that stage up for yourself.

On 10/12/2021 at 1:51 PM, Bosco685 said:

Unfortunately with your track record of establishing alternative comic book and movie history, it's hard not to.

Just realize you set that stage up for yourself.

When I talk comic book and movie history, I state researched facts. If I post something wrong, I retract or fix it. My track record should be nearly 100% accurate and correct, not counting something I might have posted erroneously and fixed if I caught it or somone pointed it out (which happens to the best of us). I went to college. I know how this works whether it's professional-related or hobby-related like this forum. Or at least how it should work.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 10/12/2021 at 2:00 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

When I talk comic book and movie history, I state researched facts. If I post something wrong, I retract or fix it. My track record should be nearly 100% accurate and correct, not counting something I might have posted erroneously and fixed if I caught it or somone pointed it out (which happens to the best of us). I went to college. I know how this works whether it's professional-related or hobby-related like this forum. Or at least how it should work.

This you posting the old RDJ 2008 interview quote?

On 8/25/2020 at 7:15 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

"You know what? F-ck DC Comics. That's all I have to say and that's where I'm really coming from." - Robert Downey Jr.

1794139471_RDJinterview.thumb.JPG.5bdd4b8d9c6c408306b87b640f4a637a.JPG

What college class taught that form of discussion? Because you should get your money back.

1. Disney had to avoid the issue of one more blonde male hero. We all know this. It's a law. 

2. It seems they did so [attempted to do so] by hiring an offbeat character actor, even a very tall & blonde one. 

3. Warlock is ultra emo. Disney needed an actor. I believe this chap can act.

4. Actors are expected to act; that is, to render performances of characters divergent both from themselves & their previous characters. Michael Keaton?  

5. My initial reaction was horror. I too am a Warlock fan. I'm an Adam Warlock fanboy.

6. I am processing this casting & doing so intellectually, aesthetically, emotionally, & from a business point of view.

7. Young is good if Marvel wants AM around for another decade or two. RDJ, ScarJo, Samuel Jackson, & that Mark Ruffles Chips dude are too old for this krapp. 

8. AM isn't a leading man type & shouldn't be. He is an insane, super emo cosmic nutjob. He's an oddball. This casting seems correct. 

9. AM is finally entering the MCU!

10. All will be well. I know this because no one has yet recommended he start bulking-up. We've matured a bit as a fandom.    

On 10/12/2021 at 5:00 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Warkock to me is not a young character.  Needs to be played by someone in their 30/40's.  

Kid Warlock?  rantrant

Time unload all related Warlock issues, this hiring sucks!  

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 1.58.01 PM.png

Adam Warlock is the epitome of a character "born" into his prime. Adam Warlock should most definitely be a younger person, not someone in their 40's LOL. One wouldn't know the diff anyway because the actor will be covered in gold paint and makeup. It's something about Will Poulter himself that James Gunn or Kevin Feige wanted.

On 10/12/2021 at 3:35 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Adam Warlock is the epitome of a character "born" into his prime. Adam Warlock should most definitely be a younger person, not someone in their 40's LOL. One wouldn't know the diff anyway because the actor will be covered in gold paint and makeup. It's something about Will Poulter himself that James Gunn or Kevin Feige wanted.

Men aren't in their prime anywhere close to 28 physically or mentally. 

After the latest Suicide Squad movie James Gunn is a complete hack.  He has one good movie and has been a total fraud ever since.  Also a lover of sick joke media postings, but thats another topic. :shy:

On 10/12/2021 at 8:49 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Men aren't in their prime anywhere close to 28 physically or mentally. 

After the latest Suicide Squad movie James Gunn is a complete hack.  He has one good movie and has been a total fraud ever since.  Also a lover of sick joke media postings, but thats another topic. :shy:

Eh, I'd say a man is physically in his prime in his late 20's. Look at most professional athletes. They are in their prime in their late 20's. Either way, when we meet Adam Warlock in GOTG3, he may literally have just emerged from his cocoon as a young man, a "baby" so to speak. When "Him" emerged from his cocoon in Fantastic Four #67 and tried to steal Thor's girlfriend Sif in Thor #165, that was a young Adam Warlock trying to figure out his place in the universe. It makes total sense for Adam Warlock in GOTG3 to be played as a young man naive in the universe but in peak physical condition as he will be the Sovereign's perfect weapon.

On 10/12/2021 at 6:08 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Eh, I'd say a man is physically in his prime in his late 20's. Look at most professional athletes. They are in their prime in their late 20's. Either way, when we meet Adam Warlock in GOTG3, he may literally have just emerged from his cocoon as a young man, a "baby" so to speak. When "Him" emerged from his cocoon in Fantastic Four #67 and tried to steal Thor's girlfriend Sif in Thor #165, that was a young Adam Warlock trying to figure out his place in the universe. It makes total sense for Adam Warlock in GOTG3 to be played as a young man naive in the universe but in peak physical condition as he will be the Sovereign's perfect weapon.

Yes and no.  Physically I see your point but for me 28 I was still not even close.  IMO a Mens prime if they actually try is 30-49.  Most girls want Brat Pitt at 38 over 28.  

I hope he does well, I just was hoping for a more of Chris Hemsworth kind of actor though.  We shall see......