• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL 3 (2020)
7 7

864 posts in this topic

I'm not a Warlock comic fan so I don't really have a solid opinion on how he was portrayed but I heard a lot of fans didn't like the portrayal.  That said, it didn't really bother me since I knew he was suppose to "child like" in his origin. Any Warlock fans have an opinion on his portrayal?

On 5/7/2023 at 6:55 AM, fastballspecial said:

Not a fan overall. Didn't like the music choices they didn't fit except for Beastie Boys.

I haven’t seen the film yet, but I did look at the music track listing.

Not a patch on Awesome Mix Vol 1, which lived up to its name.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 5/7/2023 at 11:56 PM, Xenosmilus said:

. Any Warlock fans have an opinion on his portrayal?

I haven’t seen it yet, but the general opinion seems to be that they’ve gone the humorous route. The Starlin fans like myself would require a dark, intense psychodrama similar in tone to Joker, but that’s not commercial at all, especially when that’s complicated by using a character unknown to the majority of the general public, excluding those who’ve played the excellent PS5 GOTG game.

So, soon it’ll be very interesting for me to see how he’s portrayed and how badly he’s messed up in the film. (You can just hear the positivity there.)

On 5/7/2023 at 7:08 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I haven’t seen it yet, but the general opinion seems to be that they’ve gone the humorous route. The Starlin fans like myself would require a dark, intense psychodrama similar in tone to Joker, but that’s not commercial at all, especially when that’s complicated by using a character unknown to the majority of the general public, excluding those who’ve played the excellent PS5 GOTG game.

So, soon it’ll be very interesting for me to see how he’s portrayed and how badly he’s messed up in the film. (You can just hear the positivity there.)

Yeah, that’s what I’ve heard too but I was thinking it could be “forgiven” since he was just “born” and GOTG always took the humerus route. If he is supposed to be dark they could easily mature him in follow up portrays I hope…?

Saw it tonight and agree with @crassus - there was little to dislike aside from the length. Feige would do well to remember that not everyone who goes to see these movies is a comic/MCU geek that wants them to be almost 3 hours long. I suppose a successful Director is allowed more latitude to be self-indulgent, but that doesn't necessarily mean you're making the movie better. 

Since I thought length was a problem, it's weird to add that I also thought Warlock could/should have been used more and with a little different story arc.  There was an obvious moment where he should have turned from heel to face, but he needed some convincing. I thought the High Evolutionary was a bit too one-dimensional as a villain, but I did like how they tied Rocket into the story. 

It was a satisfying ending to the 3-movie arc and while it couldn't recapture the sheer joy of the first, it was definitely the 2nd best GotG movie.  I will very much look forward to a non-Gunn Guardians, or perhaps a Star-Lord movie and also hope we'll see more of Warlock.

@gadzukes 

Thats a spoiler, maybe delete it buddy.

Edited by Beige

On 5/8/2023 at 7:35 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

This is bunk and you know it.

When I he comic people are criticizing Adam Warlock being portrayed as humorous when I don’t think I heard anyone laugh at one thing he said, including myself, he also came in like a bat out of hell showcasing his power in his very first scene, I know people are just looking to complain.  I’m open to hearing what your complaints are though.  

On 5/8/2023 at 11:17 AM, Axelrod said:

Better than estimated Sunday performance for a $118M U.S. weekend.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/box-office-guardians-galaxy-vol-151307933.html

Maybe a sign that word of mouth will be good.

Unfortunately, still below the initial $130M-$146M estimates which then dropped to $120M late in the week.

On 5/8/2023 at 11:24 AM, Bosco685 said:

Unfortunately, still below the initial $130M-$146M estimates which then dropped to $120M late in the week.

How are these estimates determined exactly? I know nothing about the business side of movies, can you give the ABCs of who makes these estimates and on what basis?

On 5/8/2023 at 11:50 AM, crassus said:

How are these estimates determined exactly? I know nothing about the business side of movies, can you give the ABCs of who makes these estimates and on what basis?

Based on pre-sales, along with social media chatter, and engment.  Plugged into an algorithm based on historical performance.   Several companies do these estimates.

On 5/8/2023 at 11:50 AM, crassus said:

On 5/8/2023 at 12:05 PM, drotto said:

Based on pre-sales, along with social media chatter, and engment.  Plugged into an algorithm based on historical performance.   Several companies do these estimates.

What he said. :cheers:

On 5/8/2023 at 11:05 AM, A.Romeo said:

When I he comic people are criticizing Adam Warlock being portrayed as humorous when I don’t think I heard anyone laugh at one thing he said, including myself, he also came in like a bat out of hell showcasing his power in his very first scene, I know people are just looking to complain.  I’m open to hearing what your complaints are though.  

I liked the movie, but I did not like Warlock, granted I never cared much about him in the comics either. Like you I didn't find he was ever laugh out loud funny, or that he was particularly humorous (to be fair almost everyone in the movie at some point or another was trying to be humorous). I could see some individual scenes that they may have intended to be humorous, but that wasn't my problem with the character. I just thought he added nothing to the film. Maybe the point was just to intro him and save anything meaningful for later...the "bat out of hell" entrance was impressive as spectacle, but if it had not been Warlock, but instead Intergalactic Generic Space Goon #5, nothing would have been added or lost for the rest of the film. I think (I speculate obviously) what critics of Warlock didn't like was the specific portrayal of him as empty and infantile...which is imo the main reason he added nothing to the film- there was nothing there to begin with....

On 5/8/2023 at 11:05 AM, A.Romeo said:

I haven't seen the movie, but dismissing criticism as "people just want to complain" is a baseless defense of movies. Plenty of people have bemoaned the runtime not being justified.

On 5/8/2023 at 12:35 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I haven't seen the movie, but dismissing criticism as "people just want to complain" is a baseless defense of movies. Plenty of people have bemoaned the runtime not being justified.

I have not seen it yet, and have avoided spoilers.  The consistent criticisms I am seeing are.

1. Too long

2. Warlock mishandled

3. Animal scenes may be too intense for some.

4. Connected with above,  may not be as family friendly.

Edited by drotto