• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL 3 (2020)
7 7

864 posts in this topic

On 5/4/2023 at 3:37 PM, media_junkie said:

So a too long film, that has a lot of potential great ideas that end up being half-assed and ends up following the MCU formula we have seen before.

Great!

Others seem to like Vol. 3 as a closure to the franchise. Though they feel Adam Warlock is a wasted character.

Time will tell what that means at the box office.

Well I've thought of how to non spoilers a review, and no one asked me but lol

The characters plight really feed off and compliment the other traits of those in circumstances as they appear, it's called teamwork people. Discoveries are made that sometimes lead to something new, even by characters that present themselves as dolts. Many a brave hero comes of it and the end isn't at all a a bad thing. A closer of a film, while closure is in the midst, all to help aid and benefit as a team to new things. .

If that sounded like a riddle, better that than cryptic haha. Basically it is a movie of learning to live and with each other, and to be a guardian of the Galaxy, retrospect these are the things that made the other movies great.

Although if this one doesn't "move you" it could be the time between films, but it has all the same elements that drew on each other for support and to compliment 🙏

On 5/4/2023 at 8:47 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Non-spoiler review

I liked it. It was my least favorite of the 3 but that doesn't mean it was bad. It was defiantly the best out of Phase 4/5. That said, the rewatchability is low but it had it's momments.

Ya last I watched was vol 2, been too long between movies, as I didn't watch the Christmas thing.

That said I was wondering where it was heading, I laughed when others didn't and vice versa, so idk how I could make it 'better" didn't fall flat though, was although my least favorite. I still think some would enjoy it. It's better than a popcorn movie. 

Just got back from the theatre. I liked it a lot. The haters are just projecting. It’s a good film. Only complaint is there are a few short scenes that I felt they could have done without.

Spoiler

Hoping Warlock “grows up” and is used more like the comic character in future films. They did a better job explaining that he was a bit premature when his mother explained to the High Evolutionary that he had taken him out of his cocoon too early and that he was still a child. With that said, his behavior the rest of the film made more sense. 

Ouch, if accurate- EDIT: it wasn't, did $17.5M (including Wed IMAX trilogy) matching A-M:Q

Distribution sources are telling us that Disney Marvel Studios’ final James Gunn movie, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, is doing around $14M in previews. As we always say, that can go higher or lower by the morning. Thursday previews kicked off at 3PM, and there were 100 Imax shows on Wednesday. Note, these figures do not come from Disney.

Compare to: DS:MOM $36M, T:L&T $29M, BP:WF $28M, A-M:Q $17.5M

Edited by paperheart

On 5/4/2023 at 9:08 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Although if this one doesn't "move you" it could be the time between films, but it has all the same elements that drew on each other for support and to compliment 🙏

On 5/5/2023 at 1:11 AM, Azkaban said:

(thumbsu thumbs up

very enjoyable, it moved me and that's all I can ask for out of a comicbook movie 

lol😂 I didn’t want to be the only one to say that.  There are a few scenes that gave me the “feels”.   There were quite a few poignant moments. 

On 5/4/2023 at 6:47 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Non-spoiler review

I liked it. It was my least favorite of the 3 but that doesn't mean it was bad. It was defiantly the best out of Phase 4/5. That said, the rewatchability is low but it had it's momments.

Agree with this take.  It's the worst of the 3, but to me, that's like saying "which is the worst of the first 10 Pixar films".  They're all good when compared against other movies, but compared amongst themselves, there's always a winner and a loser.

Spoiler

I really enjoyed the Rocket back story.  It was predictable, but emotional none-the-less.  I did not enjoy the use of Warlock.  In the comics, he's a very serious character.  Here, he's merely a child.  The character didn't do anything to advance the story and could have been omitted completely.

I saw it last night, and I liked it.

That said (and maybe I'm becoming a grumpy old man), but I really can't stand the theater experience any more. People constantly talking during the entire movie - and it appears whispering is no longer a skill most people have - people shouting things out that they think are "funny additions" to the movie, and just people being clowns in general really detract from what used to be one of my favorite things to do: seeing a movie at the theater on opening day. I still go to many of these because I hate having things spoiled for me online, but I wish there was some sort of premium streaming service where you could pay to watch new releases from the comfort of your own home.

Anyway, rant over. Now get off my lawn!

As for the movie itself (don't open this if you don't want spoilers):

Spoiler

I liked it from an overall story standpoint, and I thought there were some funny moments and some touching moments. I don't think it really did anything to "advance" the MCU, but sometimes a story is just a story, and it doesn't have to play too heavily into the entire, overarching universe.

I had a thought at the end that they could have done which would have been both gimmicky but also pretty novel:

Given the idea of the Multiverse in the MCU, I thought it could have been cool if they released the film with two different endings: the one we got, and a darker one that would be the opposite, where at least one of the characters dies. You film the two endings and release the movies, but it's completely random depending on what theater you watched the movie in as to what ending you get. In a sense, manufacturing a "Mandela effect" for movie goers (at least for a short time until everyone caught on), and playing into a Multiverse where there can be several different outcomes to events.

Probably a logistical nightmare, but I thought it could have been a cool idea.

Edited by Jesse-Lee