• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone here know David Crawford
1 1

42 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, NoMan said:

I'm no Paypal expert, but is the moral of the story here to never use Friends and Family? I believe I've bought some stuff here on the sale forum and they asked I used Friends and Family (not sure why? Why?) and it turned out fine. 

I use Friends & Family... when I buy something from Friends & Family.

Even when customers offer to use F&F without me asking, I still send them an invoice so they are covered. That's just me.

On 8/5/2017 at 8:43 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm not sure but maybe family and friends via papal doesn't incur fees? Either way I've always used the service's rendered..or in exchange for services .. I think that is the safe one, correct? You can get a refund on that one ??? ? But you have to pay 4% extra to get the correct amount....maybe family and friends doesn't have fees but doesn't get you any protection?

I ask since I'm a noob  when it comes to paypal... I've used it to pay for CGC SS, though I never thought that I could have been doing it wrong :shy:

As a buyer, you don't pay a fee either way.  As a seller, PP charges you a fee for the regular PP but not for the F&F PP because the F&F PP is intended for sending funds among F&Fs not for buying and selling.

As a buyer PP (in principle) covers you against shenanigans if you use regular but not if you use F&F.

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

As a buyer, you don't pay a fee either way.  As a seller, PP charges you a fee for the regular PP but not for the F&F PP because the F&F PP is intended for sending funds among F&Fs not for buying and selling.

As a buyer PP (in principle) covers you against shenanigans if you use regular but not if you use F&F.

Yes-- as a buyer you also pick up fees when sending money directly. Especially outside of ebay or on this site, Most of the time the fee is on the buyer paying on this site... (sketches and such) :shy: 

3 minutes ago, nepatkm said:

Yes-- as a buyer you also pick up fees when sending money directly. Especially outside of ebay or on this site, Most of the time the fee is on the buyer paying on this site... (sketches and such) :shy: 

Yeah I went to PayPal and checked. When you send money for goods and services you have to send enough for the Paypal fees to the facilitator for a sketch or even SS. So that when they get their money they subtract the fees and they get paid. lol I was just making sure, but I did it right. Cuz you're right ;) what I was talking about is just sending money for goods and services not an invoice... Or a purchase on credit or such... thanks!!

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yeah I went to PayPal and checked. When you send money for goods and services you have to send enough for the Paypal fees to the facilitator for a sketch or even SS. So that when they get their money they subtract the fees and they get paid. lol I was just making sure, but I did it right. Cuz you're right ;) what I was talking about is just sending money for goods and services not an invoice... Or a purchase on credit or such... thanks!!

Yeah ... Ends up being about 3.5% more added on to your total.

In this particular case, I believe they had done business before without a hitch (does that qualify them as "friends"?) but all it takes is one bad turn...As we can see...Yes, the "victim" shares some responsibility but it still does not negate the fact that they have been ripped off.

And yes, I agree, you should pay PayPal's fees for using their service as well.  Had they paid the goods and service route, we may not be having this conversation.

2c

31 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

In this particular case, I believe they had done business before without a hitch (does that qualify them as "friends"?) but all it takes is one bad turn...As we can see...Yes, the "victim" shares some responsibility but it still does not negate the fact that they have been ripped off.

And yes, I agree, you should pay PayPal's fees for using their service as well.  Had they paid the goods and service route, we may not be having this conversation.

2c

He did say this "THE JUNK BOOKS HE SENT ME. THERE WAS TWO BOOKS IN THERE THAT HE OWED ME FROM A APRIL DEAL". 

But yes, that certainly doesn't negate getting ripped off. 

On 8/5/2017 at 4:47 PM, NoMan said:

I'm no Paypal expert, but is the moral of the story here to never use Friends and Family? I believe I've bought some stuff here on the sale forum and they asked I used Friends and Family (not sure why? Why?) and it turned out fine. 

I've been asked here a few times as well and always decline.   Mainly because it's against board rules and there's no recourse to get your money back.  Also, PayPal has been known to take the FF option away if it's being abused.

I didn't know who David was but I do now. Thanks.

Edited by HighRadArt

On 8/4/2017 at 11:57 PM, sd2416 said:

I was following that mess on fb.  Looks like he came back, pleading his case.  Then he archived the group and shut it down

He was a person_without_enough_empathy

The group has been unarchived...Apparently he is still the "owner" but not "involved"...There is a video posting "explaining" the status quo (why do this FB guys love doing videos in their cars?)...Not sure if the original postings about the scamming have been scrubbed or not.

CGC Comics Club (Facebook)

Edited by Wall-Crawler

18 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

The group has been unarchived...Apparently he is still the "owner" but not "involved"...There is a video posting "explaining" the status quo (why do this FB guys love doing videos in their cars?)...Not sure if the original postings about the scamming have been scrubbed or not.

CGC Comics Club (Facebook)

I dont see the scamming posts.  imagine that 

1 hour ago, sd2416 said:

I dont see the scamming posts.  imagine that 

Nope.

I also wonder about the "ethics" of a group being "owned" by a (alleged?) scammer but not "operated" by him.  Seems calculated, wait for the 'heat' to die down then open it back up 'under new management'.

I think I'm turning cold as I age.  My heart goes out to these people...then I read "I sent payment via Friends and Family".  Suddenly, ALL compassion from me goes flying out the window. 

If you're aware of the risks of using Friends and Family outside of the intended purpose, don't be surprised or go crying to anyone when you get scammed.  If you're unaware of the risks, then what the heck are you doing using a service you don't understand?  :makepoint:

It seems simple, but the allure of saving 3% is apparently irresistible to some because this same story keeps happening over and over and over and over...

I have people offer to send me payment via Friends and Family and I always politely decline.  Using goods and services allows me to print a shipping label directly through paypal and the tracking gets attached to the transaction automatically so the buyer is always aware of what's going on.  For most transactions, that convenience alone is worth the 3% paypal charges; let alone the protections should something go wrong. 

On 9/9/2017 at 0:28 PM, Wall-Crawler said:

Nope.

I also wonder about the "ethics" of a group being "owned" by a (alleged?) scammer but not "operated" by him.  Seems calculated, wait for the 'heat' to die down then open it back up 'under new management'.

Same thing I thought.