• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.4 All-Star 8 up for auction
2 2

258 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

Hindsight they should have been one day apart... the WW1 with white pages a nice buy. One reason metro and the Arabic buyer of the impossible collection did not bid could be on religious grounds in putting a woman in the spotlight without proper head covering, I know the WW movie was banned by a few Arabic countries so this could be a issue on metro's participation and a reason why the book did not break a million.

This is the stupidest, most ignorant post I've ever seen from you, which is really saying something.  

1 hour ago, tth2 said:
10 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

Hindsight they should have been one day apart... the WW1 with white pages a nice buy. One reason metro and the Arabic buyer of the impossible collection did not bid could be on religious grounds in putting a woman in the spotlight without proper head covering, I know the WW movie was banned by a few Arabic countries so this could be a issue on metro's participation and a reason why the book did not break a million.

This is the stupidest, most ignorant post I've ever seen from you, which is really saying something.  

I usually don't mind and on some occasions even appreciate Mmehdy's posts but this one ... no words.

On 8/28/2017 at 6:18 PM, tth2 said:

It is a shame some board members are "racially insensitive" to the possibility  that there  could be a culture clash with American Super hero's  and ones beliefs.  I am not advocating  that superman wear a turbin in the Indian comic book editions. I am simply stating that some beliefs  might differ from ours depending where you grew up and the structure of government which instills a moral code of what is right and proper for its members of society.

While one might disagree with that moral code one must still respect not dismiss it just because you might be "above" that system or more modern in terms of which is right/wrong from a USA viewpoint. In that world, it is "reality"...right or wrong it exists and over time could hopefully change for the positive in terms of a USA viewpoint.

Edited by Mmehdy

2 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

It is a shame some board members are "racially insensitive" to the possibility  that there  could be a culture clash with American Super hero's  and ones beliefs.  I am not advocating  that superman wear a turbin in the Indian comic book editions. I am simply stating that some beliefs  might differ from ours depending where you grew up and the structure of government which instills a moral code of what is right and proper for its members of society.

While one might disagree with that moral code one must still respect not dismiss it just because you might be "above" that system or more modern in terms of which is right/wrong from a USA viewpoint. In that world, it is "reality"...right or wrong it exists and over time could hopefully change for the positive in terms of a USA viewpoint.

Mitch, all kinds of western comics have women without head coverings. If it was THAT big an issue to him he wouldn't collect Superman in particular (due to Lois Lane) or western comics in general.   

Youre trying to put yourself in Ayman's shoes which is great but you're way off base here.  I'm not super educated on Lebanon but what Lebanese friends I've had have been very far from the picture you're painting.    Ayman has also been photographed in western dress at western events such as the exhibition of his collection so he's bound to be perfectly comfortable with the different clothing traditions and presumably not in the slightest bothered by a woman without a head covering.

Edited by Bronty

Mitch,

San Diego's a bit conservative, but it is still California.  C'mon, you know better than to make assumptions like that.  

Ayman Harriri graduated from Georgetown U., a Catholic school, and states he decided to buy Wonder Woman comics after he met Gal Gadot (an Israeli) on the set of Superman-Batman.  Based on that personal history, Mitch, I don't think he's any sort of fundamentalist.  Given that his father was assassinated by Hezbollah, he's probably anti-fundamentalist.  This is him and his wife.  No burka in evidence.

saad-hariri-and-his-wife-attend-the-elie

11 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

Jesus you are stupid.  

14 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

I'm going to revisit this because just noting how stupid you are doesn't do justice to how incredibly and callously ignorant you are.  A few points for you to consider: 

1) not all people with brown skin are Muslim.  40% of Lebanese are Christian.  It's probably got one of the deepest Catholic histories of any country in the world. 

2) not all Muslims are extreme fundamentalists.  Especially those from Lebanon.  

3) 1% of Indians are Sikh.  Some others wear "turbins", but this ridiculous stereotype is what gets good people shot by uneducated dipsticks.  

Don't try to turn it into a moral argument just to save face.  

33 minutes ago, buttock said:

I'm going to revisit this because just noting how stupid you are doesn't do justice to how incredibly and callously ignorant you are.  A few points for you to consider: 

1) not all people with brown skin are Muslim.  40% of Lebanese are Christian.  It's probably got one of the deepest Catholic histories of any country in the world. 

2) not all Muslims are extreme fundamentalists.  Especially those from Lebanon.  

3) 1% of Indians are Sikh.  Some others wear "turbins", but this ridiculous stereotype is what gets good people shot by uneducated dipsticks.  

Don't try to turn it into a moral argument just to save face.  

Outstanding retort, Dan - but there's no reasoning with such a clownish buffoon.

On 8/28/2017 at 0:21 PM, rob_react said:

And... there are no Larson copies of any of these books. 

That's correct - all three issues fall outside of the Larson time range.

The only Larson All-Stars are 1, 4, 5 (which I own), and 6.

There are no Larson Sensations or Wonder Womans.

The price gap between all star 8 and Sen1 depends on a great number of things.  

I like Sen 1 a little more because she's on the cover.   Slabs made me care about covers more than in the past.

I would always pick action comics 7 over a 2,3,4,5, or 6.

or a detective 29 over a 28.  

I think first full cover feature appearance means a lot.  I'm glad there are so few first appearances that are absent from the cover.

I'm not saying the Sensation should be worth more than the All Star 8 I just prefer it.