• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.4 All-Star 8 up for auction
2 2

258 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I thought the sensation 1 was the best of the 3

DO we have anyh clue what the seller's purchase price was on these books?  I realize it was reported they both came from a previously unknown find.

Perhaps also a lack of marketing/advertising/word of mouth on these books too. Unlike major auction houses where you get a catalog, email notifications, etc. I seriously forgot about these books had I not been checking the boards.

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
2 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Seems like the Sen 1 sold too low compared to AS 8. It sold for more than half of what the AS 8... Looked like a bargain to me.

Or maybe as8 sold too high?

+1

Exactly my thinking also as compared to what the other 2 books sold for, especially with respect to the Sensation 1 which from my point of view is the tougher book to find and yet was in the highest grade out of the 3 of them.  hm

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Exactly my thinking also as compared to what the other 2 books sold for, especially with respect to the Sensation 1 which from my point of view is the tougher book to find and yet was in the highest grade out of the 3 of them.  hm

2 9.4 copies already graded of Sensation 1 probably didn't help the price. Having the next highest copy of AS 8 being only a 9.0 creates a larger disparity between the best copy and the next best one. 

21 minutes ago, TeddieMercede said:

2 9.4 copies already graded of Sensation 1 probably didn't help the price. Having the next highest copy of AS 8 being only a 9.0 creates a larger disparity between the best copy and the next best one. 

(thumbsu

6 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:
28 minutes ago, TeddieMercede said:

(thumbsu

I believe it's still too early in the grading game to draw any definitive conclusions as to the actual scarcity of HG copies.  :gossip:

Were the All-Star books not considered to be the go to run to collect with the early GA collectors and you was not deemed to be a true GA collector unless you had the All-Stars in your collection?  Definitely not the case anymore although if this thinking was actually out there in the old days, than there might be a number of nice raw AS 8's still out there sitting in private collections waiting for the right time to be graded.  hm  (shrug)

On 8/22/2017 at 3:43 PM, clarkkentdds said:

As I correctly predicted Metro would be the buyer of the AC 1 9.0 for around $3M, I predict Metro will also be the buyer of this book. 

I think $900K is about the right price.

Even if it is not Hariri who ultimately ends up with this book, there is another collector who can throw down this kind of coin and collectors WW. He recently bought the Sup 1 5.5.

Fun to watch!

Well, it looks like you were wrong about Metro, but I think you got closest to the price.

On 8/23/2017 at 8:55 AM, sfcityduck said:

I'm not going to be surprised in the final spread between the AS 8 and the S 1 is around 2:1.  I am going to be surprised if the spread between the S 1 and WW 1 doesn't tighten up.  Not only is this the highest graded and white WW 1, but the historical extras with this book are one of a kind and it has a historical cache that cannot be duplicated.  So I'm expecting final prices to reflect a more compressed spread something like $600K/$310K/$280K.

Boy was I wrong.  Final spread was $936/$399/$226.  Only think I got right was the price on the WW 1 went down.  Spread from the AS 8 was over 2:1.  Spread from the S1 to WW 1 was almost 2:1.  

Whoever got the WW 1 should be extremely happy.  A great book, historic, with great extras.  

On 8/26/2017 at 9:46 AM, szavisca said:

I'll still be shocked if the ww1 goes less than 300k... can't imagine he'd accept a loss on a book like that.  I still have to think he must have had private offers or guarantees of bids or something.

You're not bringing people into a supermarket with a sale on 12 packs of diet Coke here... He'd probably have made a big enough splash to get the comic book worlds attention just offering the sensation 1 and as 8.

Well, unfortunately for Adams, it looks like this theory got shot down as Pristine had to absorb a pretty sizeable loss in order to put themselves in a position to offer up the trifecta of WW books. 

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Instead of having this auction end in a last second snipe fest with what happens on eBay and CL auctions, I think it would be a lot more fun and interesting to watch it in the CC auction format with the 3-minute extended time period bidding process. 

Any thoughts as to whether these auctions might have ended higher if they had been using CC 3-minute extended time bidding format, especially with how bids were coming in on these 3 books in the final minute.  hm

Did they simply run out of time before they got everybody's final top end bids in?  (shrug)

4 minutes ago, szavisca said:
7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, unfortunately for Adams, it looks like this theory got shot down as Pristine had to absorb a pretty sizeable loss in order to put themselves in a position to offer up the trifecta of WW books. 

Hey ... don't quote this one!! Quote my more recent " boy was I wrong" and "sucks for selling his other ww1s"...yeesh kick a man when he's down :) 

Oh, now I see that one by going back into the thread.  doh!

Shows you that your memory tends to become selective as you start to get up there in age.  (:

24 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Well, it looks like you were wrong about Metro, but I think you got closest to the price.

Maybe Metro used a broker to get the books for them.

52 minutes ago, szavisca said:

That being said CCs +3 min per higher bid is my least favorite of the formats..

When you say this, are you thinking more from the point of view of being a bidder, as opposed to being a consignor?  hm

7 hours ago, szavisca said:

I'd love to see the metric analyses on why these companies go with their particular auction formats...I'd think with the money these companies make off this stuff there's some pretty sophisticated math determining how they maximize their profits out of it.

I'd be shocked if the company's had studied that issue.