• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED
1 1

196 posts in this topic

I won this cool book in a little haiku contest here a while back from a cool boardie and I am going to pass it on as a gift as well.(thumbsu

The first 3 people who can in 50 words or more tell about the first time they read a comic and knew they loved it will get an opportunity to win this book tomorrow. Shipping in US is included- Canada- I need you to cover $10.

The way the winner of those 3 will be chosen will be a group PM and the one who chooses the closest number from a pre-selected number between 1-50 wins. A 3rd party will even be selecting the number. 

IMG_5102.JPG

IMG_5103.JPG

My father gave me a quarter and told me to buy a newspaper for him and I could buy myself a comic, at the candy store on the next block.  This was 1967 when, even here in NYC, you could send a five year old kid to the store by himself and not worry about it.  I stood in from of the rack of comics for 10 minutes trying to decide what to buy, it came down to two books a Batman and a Fantastic Four. Although I loved Batman and was Batman for Halloween that year, I chose the Fantastic Four. Paid for the 10 cent paper, the 12 cent comic and brought him back the change. There was something about the Thing, and the Human Torch. They did impossible things and looked so cool while they did it--and they were so funny.  The pages were so busy with action, anything could happen. Little did I know that I picked up a book that was telling such an amazing story and I walked in right in the middle--Kirby and Lee in their prime--and I had to keep reading to see how it would end!   FF remained my favorite comic for many years to come.

Edited by JohnnyR
Update

26 minutes ago, JohnnyR said:

My father gave me a quarter and told me to buy a newspaper for him and I could buy myself a comic, at the candy store on the next block.  This was 1967 when, even here in NYC, you could send a five year old kid to the store by himself and not worry about it.  I stood in from of the rack of comics for 10 minutes trying to decide what to buy, it came down to two books a Batman and a Fantastic Four. Although I loved Batman and was Batman for Halloween that year, I chose the Fantastic Four. Paid for the 10 cent paper, the 12 cent comic and brought him back the change. There was something about the Thing, and the Human Torch. They did impossible things and looked so cool while they did it--and they were so funny.  The pages were so busy with action, anything could happen. Little did I know that I picked up a book that was telling such an amazing story and I walked in right in the middle--Kirby and Lee in their prime--and I had to keep reading to see how it would end!   FF remained my favorite comic for many years to come.

Our first contender. Very cool story! 'nuff said

2 hours ago, JohnnyR said:

What was the issue?

I like this story idea, but I'll pass the freebie...

I bought my first book in spring of '75 and I was hooked. I didn't have many comics so I read this one many times, many of the other books I were reader hand me downs from my brothers. I never had any money growing up so I picked up pop bottles on the highway to recycle so I could afford to buy candy, sodas, slurpees and comics. Throughout the years I collected many books, but was a completist for Amazing. It took many years (over 35 off and on) to complete my run AF15–ASM 700.

But once I had them all my journey wasn't complete until I had Stan sign my first copy on the Indica. The old convenient store is still here in Durham that I bought my cherished copy from still exists today. This will be the only book I don't think I can sell...

127433.jpg.bf3119c4354c20dccf033d0cccd1b

127434.jpg.8eb8eaf887111bc51f35d635ed66f

Alright, If I am lucky enough to win, I will pass this book on to a young collector friend who loves old horror comics but can't afford many. Here is my story.

I don't remember the first comic I ever bought with my own money. I did get a lot from family friends and other kids. I did buy some with my meager allowance. Mostly DC War and Batman. There were no Marvel superheros at that time. I went to my grandparents house during the summer one year for a couple weeks. My grandpa went to the cigar store on day and told me I could buy some comics. I don't remember what I bought exactly except for two. I got a Spiderman #4 and MAD Magazine #72. Never saw a Marvel and Spiderman blew me away. The fact that he was a regular kid with "great responsibility" really got my attention. I had also never seen a MAD Magazine. Also just knocked me out. So different than a comic book and just so funny. This could be considered a cross roads for me. From that time on, I became a Marvel Zombie and bought every Spiderman off the stands from that time on as well as most of the other Marvel Titles (except Thor). But the MAD made me a collector. I decided then and there that I wanted to have a complete collection of them. I searched them out everywhere I could and actually paid the huge sum of $2.00 for #9 a year or so later. A couple years later I got my grail. MAD #1 from Howard Rogofsky for $15.00. This was the origin of this crazy obsession I have kept with pretty much my whole life. 

55 minutes ago, Wally's Comics said:

I like this story idea, but I'll pass the freebie...

I bought my first book in spring of '75 and I was hooked. I didn't have many comics so I read this one many times, many of the other books I were reader hand me downs from my brothers. I never had any money growing up so I picked up pop bottles on the highway to recycle so I could afford to buy candy, sodas, slurpees and comics. Throughout the years I collected many books, but was a completist for Amazing. It took many years (over 35 off and on) to complete my run AF15–ASM 700.

But once I had them all my journey wasn't complete until I had Stan sign my first copy on the Indica. The old convenient store is still here in Durham that I bought my cherished copy from still exists today. This will be the only book I don't think I can sell...

127433.jpg.bf3119c4354c20dccf033d0cccd1b

127434.jpg.8eb8eaf887111bc51f35d635ed66f

Great story Wally! I remember collecting pop bottles from trash cans and alleys myself. 3 cents for a small one and 5 cents for the big ones. Dragging around a red wagon. I also cut lawns with a push mower and did yard work until I was old enough to get a paper route. I also whined and begged my parents for some as well which wasn't easy as my folks didn't have a lot of extra money and four kids to support.

The first comic I ever read was in 1954 or 1955. I discovered many years later it was Tales From The Crypt 45, the hungry rat cover and story. My Father worked as caretaker on a ranch and my Mother cleaned the owner's house which was a Summer residence for them. Their teenage son had his room with a chest in it where he stashed his valuables.. Being curious and a young boy I opened it to find the comic stashed there. I sat and read the comic. The teenage boy whom I never met probably would have killed me had he known. The hungry rat story scared the heck out of me and I never forgot it, though I was now hooked on comics which I purchased every week with my 25 cent allowance. As I grew older and got into collecting EC horror titles, I discovered the Tales From The Crypt 45. Still a disturbing story and among the best I've read with the dog eats dog ending, literally. For those who haven't read it, read it if you get the chance.

Edited by misterrmystery

20 minutes ago, misterrmystery said:

The first comic I ever read was in 1954 or 1955. I discovered many years later it was Tales From The Crypt 45, the hungry rat cover and story. My Father worked as caretaker on a ranch and my Mother cleaned the owner's house which was a Summer residence for them. Their teenage son had his room with a chest in it where he stashed his valuables.. Being curious and a young boy I opened it to find the comic stashed there. I sat and read the comic. The teenage boy whom I never met probably would have killed me had he known. The hungry rat story scared the heck out of me and I never forgot it, though I was now hooked on comics which I purchased every week with my 25 cent allowance. As I grew older and got into collecting EC horror titles, I discovered the Tales From The Crypt 45. Still a disturbing story and among the best I've read with the dog eats dog ending, literally. For those who haven't read it, read it if you get the chance.

Yeah, good one. Similar story for me but it is Shock Suspensestories #9. Got a small pile of ECs from my uncle as a kid. My mom caught me reading one and it got torn up. I hid the rest up in the tree house with other "objectionables" such as MAD magazine and Playboy. The story? "Carrion Death" scared the out of me and still is the one of the most horrific stories I've ever read in a comic. 

4 hours ago, Wally's Comics said:

What was the issue?

it was it was Fantastic Four number 68. I never knew how lucky I was to catch the tail end of what many people say was the greatest story in the history of comic books told over roughly Fantastic Four 25 through Fantastic Four 75. There is a website that calls it the calls at the Great American novel.  how lucky I was to find myself being entertained by two giants of comic books --Jack Kirby and Stan Lee. I immediately found myself years later when comic book collectible stores opened up in the seventies searching for the rest of those great Fantastic Fours. Later on I read and loved Spider-Man, some Batman, even a little Superman, but it all seemed just a little shy of the beauty of those stories about Reed Sue Johnny and Ben. Add Silver Surfer and Galactus,  Crystal and the   inhumans,  and our old friend Doctor Doom,  and we have this incredible story about a family that just happens to have super powers. Simply Amazing. And happy birthday to Jack Kirby who would have turned 100 years old this week. He was truly the king of comics.