• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

On 8/28/2019 at 3:57 PM, Buzzetta said:

Cannot decide if that's supposed to be 70's Stan Lee or if Roy Scheider is back from the dead. 

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 3.56.23 PM.png

I think that's Marc Maron.  I listen to his podcast "WTF" because he gets all the big celebrities and he's a fantastic interviewer.

On 9/5/2019 at 6:42 AM, bane said:

You know what, I felt exactly the same way after seeing the trailer. I couldn't be more disinterested. Which is really odd considering the actor & character involved. 

The trailer didn't compel me either.  But neither did the one for the Dark Knight.  This new trailer also didn't turn me off, so it's not indicative of anything in particular.  I couldn't get a feel for Ledger's performance in just three minutes so I don't expect to get a feel for Phoenix's either in just a trailer.

I was mostly looking forward to Nolan's film for two reasons--repeated viewings of Batman Begins that made me realize how great it was so I was ready for another, and the pre-movie hype about Ledger's performance.  Now we have even more pre-movie hype, so I'm starting to get excited.

On 9/5/2019 at 4:09 PM, Bosco685 said:

So there are critics and comicbook.com trying to imply Joker will motivate people to attacks others or even go as far as murder. Which is why the term 'loner incels' is being used towards folks excited to see the film. They forget there have been other comic book villains with destruction and murder messages.

It's particularly easy to make that association here because it happened with James Holmes being inspired by Heath Ledger's Joker.  They're not wrong, but that doesn't mean society as a whole has to stop making art just because some psychopath might take inspiration in fiction to do something insane.

560.Heathledger.JamesHolmes.jc.073012.jp

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

It's particularly easy to make that association here because it happened with James Holmes being inspired by Heath Ledger's Joker.  They're not wrong, but that doesn't mean society as a whole has to stop making art just because some psychopath might take inspiration in fiction to do something insane.

560.Heathledger.JamesHolmes.jc.073012.jp

That's not what the people making the claims noted. They said he dressed up as the Joker and started shooting people, implying the new film will inspire people to do the same.

As far as his being inspired by the Joker, that's also something to be careful with the facts. The judge in the case had his medical records unsealed, and it turned out he had violent thoughts for a long time and never even mentioned Batman, Joker or anyone else as his influence. Other than when he was arrested calling himself 'The Joker.

Psychiatrist’s handwritten notes on ‘Batman Killer’ James Holmes two months before he shot 12 people dead

And here are much of the details concerning the notebook he mailed out with his inspirations and motives noted.

A look inside the 'broken' mind of James Holmes

I think sometimes a fact sticks in our head with horrible cases like this and we start to add details to the facts that actually are not there. :preach:

Edited by Bosco685