• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

I'm interested in the movie because of the King of Comedy vibe. I like the look from the trailer. It looks like a FILM. So visually, it should be interesting. I'm hoping it doesn't give birth to a whole new slew of edgelords. Maybe it really has something to say. We shall see. If not, it should at least be pretty and well acted, from what I understand. I can live with that.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Joker is tracking for a domestic opening weekend haul of over $82 million. That estimate comes from the industry-leading NRG, while some services have the debut as low as $77 million or as high as $87 million.

If Joker does turn in an opening weekend in line with NRG's projections, it will break the record for biggest domestic opening weekend in October. The current record-holder is Venom, Tom Hardy's PG-13 anti-hero romp that, in spite of its poor critical reviews, opened to $80.2 million in its opening weekend. Venom went on to earn more than $856 million at the global box office, a substantial hit for its $100 million budget.

Joker sitting at 75% right now with the latest FRESH critic review.

RT_Joker01.JPG.a568b8bf3cd3d70071a58a6e0ddd8469.JPG

But what's weird is that latest review is from a black film critic site that noted all this is with Joker is yet another 'crazy white man killing people film' but she notes it as FRESH and gives it a 7.0/10 overall rating.

RT_Joker02.JPG.611c5635782e7ac1dd8554644bfcbfea.JPG

RT_Joker03.JPG.78cace5f9fd42f14c4bd945d64811fb7.JPG

Critics are weird.

Edited by Bosco685

12 hours ago, paperheart said:

don't know if it's due to the extensive media coverage or that IT2 is rapidly fading away and won't be competition but Joker "stock" keeps rising, now estimating $225-240MM US

https://www.hsx.com/security/view/JOKER

Not everybody lives on the internet or is breathlessly following every obscure article posted about this movie.

It 2 was never going to be competition for Joker.

But Hustlers (women)

Gemini Man (date nighters)

Addams Family (families)

and

Zombieland 2 (Halloween crowds)

Are.

-J.

During a live interview someone from The Telegraph wanted to get a reaction, so they asked Joaquin Phoenix if he is concerned people are going to start killing others after seeing his performance. So he walked out of the interview.

Now the Wokesters are celebrating getting a reaction out of him, and stating it confirms this film is violent garbage. So sweet!

Kind of like when Robert Downey JR had an interviewer play him like this during an Avengers interview, asking him about when he used to take drugs in his younger day.

Edited by Bosco685

And there you have it.

The_Telegraph01.thumb.jpg.bc75625f80e4cd1107f2ed8ac028f064.jpg

The interviewer asked the question that he did of Joaquin Phoenix so as to create a story which could be used later to drive higher sales. But unlike with Robert Downey Jr. (no slight against him for walking out), Phoenix came back to complete the interview after WB asked him to. Why, heck if I know.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

And there you have it.

The_Telegraph01.thumb.jpg.bc75625f80e4cd1107f2ed8ac028f064.jpg

The interviewer asked the question that he did of Joaquin Phoenix so as to create a story which could be used later to drive higher sales. But unlike with Robert Downey Jr. (no slight against him for walking out), Phoenix came back to complete the interview after WB asked him to. Why, heck if I know.

Yeah, but in the Downey Jr. sit-down interview, the interviewer blindsided RDJ when he began asking questions that had nothing to do with the Avengers movies or movies in general but about his shady past, when RDJ was there as part of the movie's press tour. 

The journalist in the Phoenix press meet (not a sit-down interview) actually asked him a question (an offensive question, I agree) about the Joker movie and the affect it might have on audiences. 

Not really the same scenario.

36 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Yeah, but in the Downey Jr. sit-down interview, the interviewer blindsided RDJ when he began asking questions that had nothing to do with the Avengers movies or movies in general but about his shady past, when RDJ was there as part of the movie's press tour. 

The journalist in the Phoenix press meet (not a sit-down interview) actually asked him a question (an offensive question, I agree) about the Joker movie and the affect it might have on audiences. 

Not really the same scenario.

No, it actually is. Take those MCU glasses off. Asking an actor if they think their performance is going to lead to murders immediately conveys:

1) An unprofessional interviewer

2) Someone with an agenda that could get worse with each question

3) An ignorant person as no studies have clearly shown games, TV shows or films have led to murderers (Psychology Today (August 2015): Do Violent Video Games Contribute to Murder?)

So just like the jerk that right at the onset was building up to hit Robert Downey Jr. with a zinger (Downey even says to him 'Your leg is bouncing up and down - ask your question'), this was meant to convey a negative message. No matter the interview result.

Edited by Bosco685

10 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

It was a trick question, a setup, a lose lose scenario. If he agreed with it influencing viewers he screws over the studio/film, if he disagrees he gets blasted by all the click baiters. Super smart to simply walk out.

Exactly! Only an ignoramus would assume sitting there and going along with the setup questions to a woke perception makes sense.

And he only went back to complete the interview once WB confirmed there would be no further questions like this. Which in itself says a lot about the studio and Phoenix.