• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Hell I don't get paid or look for followers or clicks with my predictions, I do it for fun and to stoke friendly debate, and FYI, my batting average on here is better than his lol.  

And come on dude, how can you be so wrong with your projections, even when numbers are already starting to roll in?? :eyeroll:

So... no hyperactive articles about Joker smashing pre-sale numbers records ? (shrug)

-J.

Tickets just went live the other day, Friendly Debate. :insane:

8 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Tickets just went live the other day, Friendly Debate. :insane:

Only when you don't take things personally.  :foryou:

First day ticket pre sales are the ones that make the headlines.  Big pre sales usually happen when multiple organizations/groups make bulk buys.  Given that the biggest October opening ever, prior to Venom, was way down in the $55MM range, I would expect to be seeing something about gangbsuter pre-sales for this movie  being a supporting indicator that this it is going to "smash records!".  

-J.

1 minute ago, Jaydogrules said:

Only when you don't take things personally.  :foryou:

First day ticket pre sales are the ones that make the headlines.  Big pre sales usually happen when multiple organizations/groups make bulk buys.  Given that the biggest October opening ever, prior to Venom, was way down in the $55MM range, I would expect to be seeing something about gangbsuter pre-sales for this movie  being a supporting indicator that this it is going to "smash records!".  

-J.

You mean attempting to convey someone manipulates numbers so as to make other movies look better? Nah. Nothing personal there. That's just you being you.

We shall see on those sales soon enough.

10 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

You mean attempting to convey someone manipulates numbers so as to make other movies look better? Nah. Nothing personal there. That's just you being you.

We shall see on those sales soon enough.

Funny how my rough "numbers" (which are always pulled from industry accepted percentages) ended up being so close to what Deadline ended up reporting, ain't it? Lol

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 minute ago, Jaydogrules said:

Funny how my rough "numbers" ended up being so close to what Deadline ended up reporting, ain't it? Lol

-J.

Actually, not really. Your Spider-Man: Homecoming vs Wonder Woman was so far off, I even heard you scream all the way here. :insane:

And another, though she is very concerned the film was not responsible with covering gun control and mental illness.

Joaquin Phoenix's best performance in years - spellbinding - a strong argument why he becomes Joker.

4.5/5 overall

Good on this critic though she didn't feel the film was fresh, she made it clear it was nothing about the violence or assumption it would lead to copycats.

RT_Joker05.thumb.png.32a7a1b697d96c42ff9e54841b7d15a6.png

FILM BUNKER: Joker Review

This is an age-old argument, with even Plato being concerned with the status and place of imitative arts. I want to make it clear that, when reviewing this film, I am not taking a stance on its justification, or lack thereof, of its violent content, or of what violence it could insight from the masses—really, it’s not something that I believe anyone can predict (I mean, who would have thought that Pepe the Frog would become a racist hate symbol? Or that My Little Pony would mobilise a bunch of grown men to swarm conventions meant for little girls?). Instead, I wish to review the film less for its socio-textual value, and more for the product that was presented to me on screen. Strangely enough, despite the film receiving an incredible amount of hype (with the chatter of Oscar buzz mixing with the panic-inducing terrorist threats), I found it to be painfully average, lacking any real depth, and, speaking as a Batman fan, a missed opportunity.

Joker is a film that seems to think it holds more depth than it actually does, and suffers from the tired Hollywood origin-story obsession. Unfortunately, the bleak nature of the film and its basic level of competence meant that I could not even enjoy this on an ironic level (as I did with the absolutely awful, but beautifully bad Robin Hood origin movie). Is it unwatchable? Definitely not—Phillips’ direction is quite well-manicured and Phoenix’s performance is decidedly magnetic. However, would I watch it again? Probably not. While I have been accused of being anti-DC after my lukewarm Aquaman review, I definitely am not; in fact, it is my love of the wider Batman canon that makes me feel like Joker may have had promise at some stages in its runtime, but didn’t quite land its intended punchline.

Edited by Bosco685

On ‘Joker,’ ‘The Hunt’ And The Myth Of Movies That Inspire Violence

We are one week from the domestic debut of Todd Phillips’ Joker. At this point, the thing most likely to inspire copycat violence during/after the release of the Joaquin Phillips super villain origin story is the constant media chattering about whether the release will inspire copycat violence. As this madness unfolds, mostly (I hope) in the bubble that is Film Twitter, we should remember that A) 99.99995% of the universe hasn’t seen the movie yet and B) the filmmakers and the studio are being forced to answer hypothetical charges that their (mostly unseen) movie will inspire copious copycat incidents, despite (almost) no movie ever actually inspiring mass violence.

James Holmes didn’t dress up as the Joker nor was he explicitly inspired by Chris Nolan’s Batman sequel when he opened fire during a midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, Colorado on July 20, 2012. Columbine school shooters Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris were not bullied outcasts or members of the “Trench Coat Mafia.” They were not cosplaying as Neo and reenacting The Matrix’s climactic office lobby shootout when they shot up their school on April 19, 1999. Even the attack on a subway ticket tooth employee initially blamed on Money Train was unrelated to that Woody Harrelson/Wesley Snipes action-comedy. The thieves who infamously forced robbery victims to drink bleach before shooting them planned to commit a robbery/homicide months prior to watching Magnum Force.

There are a few movies over the decades, like Taxi Driver, A Clockwork Orange and Natural Born Killers, which have inspired real-life violence. However, and this is a key distinction, they have mostly inspired the specifics of violent action rather than the violent act itself. Individual pieces of pop culture, be it movies, TV or video games, don’t turn empathetic people into murderers. We know this because the science says as much again, and again and again. Even the rise of violence in PG-13 flicks (as post-Columbine pressures and the allure of worldwide box office glory led Hollywood to nip-n-tuck arguably R-rated genre films like Taken and White House Down into the PG-13 box) ran parallel with a decrease in violent crime from 1985 to 2015.

The Todd Phillips-directed movie may be terrible and toxic. It may even be a sympathetic-but-judgmental portrait that, like Edward Norton’s American History X, will get lionized in the wrong ways by those who see the protagonist looking cinematic as he misbehaves. It may be, dare I hope, a feature-length variation on the life-scaled villain origins that made Batman: The Animated Series so compelling. Or, warts and all, it may just be a decent studio programmer, a mid-budget, “real movie” character study that, absent the super villain IP, might have failed to break out even in the Easy Riders Raging Bulls era. Fun fact: The King of Comedy earned $2.5 million domestic in 1983. Either way, Joker isn’t going to inspire anyone to do anything they didn’t already want to do.

With just one week to go, Warner Bros.’ super-villain origin film Joker is on track to score the biggest opening weekend in cinema history. Current data suggests Joker will debut to $75-85 million stateside, the higher end of which would pass current record-holder Venom’s $80 million bow last year. But there is good reason to think Joker can fly past tracking to finish with $100 million when it hits theaters next weekend.

Most updated tracking points to a freshmen weekend of $80+ million for Joker. To make any use of tracking data, it’s important to understand a few things about tracking. First and foremost, box office tracking is merely a snapshot of a given moment, and how effective marketing has been in a particular instant. Additionally, tracking is notoriously fickle, with wide variance in accuracy rates. Lastly, tracking is ultimately best guesswork, including suggested expectations from rival studios.

All of those points are interrelated and affect one another. The fact box office tracking is a snapshot of marketing effectiveness and reflects guesswork by rival studios, for example, is partly why it can be so inaccurate. Marketing measurements often fail to account for demographics who overindex on social media platforms, and who get a large portion of their marketing exposure via advertisements and discussions on social media. And of course, guesswork by rival parties has all sorts of built-in problems.

Joker is a film about one of the most popular and well-known villains in pop culture, directly tied into one of the most popular and recognizable superhero brands – Batman. The film is getting rave reviews; it has been the subject of controversial concerns and extreme media hyping of that controversy; it already has Oscar buzz; and it’s had fantastic marketing. Then consider it has the theatrical playing field all to itself for the first weekend and weekdays. This is a recipe for over-performance.

Personal note: I spent the last two weeks in the England, Scotland, and Ireland, and advertisements for Joker are EVERYWHERE in those countries – buses, billboards, subway station posters, TV ads, and so on put Joker in front of me wherever I went, and I constantly overheard people talking about it every time an ad or other type of marketing was present.

Even if Joker winds up with “only” $75-80 million in its domestic bow, though, that will be enough to make it the second-highest grossing October release in history, assuming it grosses enough to pass Halloween’s $76 million last year. With a $55 million budget and probably a similar number for marketing costs, Joker will be well on its way to profit territory by end of business next weekend, so even the lowest-end opening estimates will be a pretty sizable win and point toward a huge worldwide total box office result.

So my own prediction for Joker’s opening weekend is now increased to $85-90 million, with a shot at $90-100 million if the stars align properly over the next week. I’ll have more updates and coverage of Joker in the days and weeks ahead, so be sure to check back soon.

5 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

:roflmao:"It's gonna make a 100 mill because people in Scotland are talking about it!". What a hack.  But then this guy is a known DC partisan.  Let's ignore the obvious demographic problems this movie will have, let's make our predictions based on the amount of posters we see in England.  Lol.  Gaaaawd. Also, DC will spend AT LEAST $100MM on P&A for this film, a bare minimum for a film with a worldwide release, regardless of what the (alleged) production budget is (see, for example, "The Nun").

And speaking of truly terrible, miserable, epic failure of box office projections, remember this little gem from this same "professional Forbes writer"?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2018/10/05/review-venom-is-the-bane-of-sonys-superhero-plans/amp/

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

:roflmao:"It's gonna make a 100 mill because people in Scotland are talking about it!". What a hack.  But then this guy is a known DC partisan.  Let's ignore the obvious demographic problems this movie will have, let's make our predictions based on the amount of posters we see in England.  Lol.  Gaaaawd. Also, DC will spend AT LEAST $100MM on P&A for this film, a bare minimum for a film with a worldwide release, regardless of what the (alleged) production budget is (see, for example, "The Nun").

And speaking of truly terrible, miserable, epic failure of box office projections, remember this little gem from this same "professional Forbes writer"?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2018/10/05/review-venom-is-the-bane-of-sonys-superhero-plans/amp/

-J.

yes, this guy was better when he was the founder of Herbalife.  Forbes, notoriously, seems to hire movie guys who can't do numbers. Shazam, gut told him $600-700MM, should have stuck with his brain.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2019/03/23/review-shazam-is-electrifying/#1ec554202171

1 hour ago, paperheart said:

yes, this guy was better when he was the founder of Herbalife.  Forbes, notoriously, seems to hire movie guys who can't do numbers. Shazam, gut told him $600-700MM, should have stuck with his brain.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2019/03/23/review-shazam-is-electrifying/#1ec554202171

doh!

Oy vay lol.  I forgot about that one.  

Should have stuck with the pyramid schemes.  

-J.

Basically, if you are against this movie for its "problematic messaging" (Need to take a shower just for having said that phrase), you need to be consistent and call for the banning of all violent video games, movies, TV shows, News Coverage, and books. If you are, so be it I dont agree but at least its honest.