• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a bad idea?
3 3

69 posts in this topic

I have wondered if it would be a good idea to sign your name in pen (not large but legible) on the back of the art you own with the date of purchase and eventually the date you sold it. The next owner would do the same. This would prove ownership if it is lost and also create a provenance directly on the piece. I don't think it would negatively affect the value and it would be interesting to see who else in your hobby has own your art. I don't see much negative in this. Do you?

It wouldn't impact the value at all I would imagine. It wouldn't solve the problem you're talking about either though... Once I owned it, I could write anything I wanted on to the back of it and modify anything anyone else wrote.

This may be one of those non-problem problems, people for the most part seem to have managed thus far, this seems primarily like a 'would be nice to know' or in certain rare circumstances 'suddenly needs to know.' But I'm not sure it would matter for the majority of transactions. Just my view on it.

Would you do that inside your 9.8 NM comics? And, do you care who owned your prized comics before you as long as YOU own it NOW? This is a terrible idea. Just keep a written record in its bag/mylar/portfolio if it's that important to you.

And, honestly, does provenance mean that much? Maybe I'm not looking at this issue correctly, but I don't care who owned it before me or who owned it before the previous owner.

Would you do the same thing if it was fine art? Say, a Picasso? Or the Mona Lisa?

Would you do it if it was a comic?

Seriously, there's so many other ways to keep track there is literally no reason to do what you are describing. Mister Browning has a fine suggestion just above this post.

I've got no problem with it and even did it recently. We're talking about 'the back' here - get real people! As to fine art, some of the coolest stuff on old paintings are on the back, artist's and gallerist's notes, old gallery, museum and exhibition stickers, stamps, etc. All very interesting, and all the more so the older the piece is and the more 'stuff' is on the back.

1 minute ago, Michael Browning said:

Would you do that inside your 9.8 NM comics? And, do you care who owned your prized comics before you as long as YOU own it NOW? This is a terrible idea. Just keep a written record in its bag/mylar/portfolio if it's that important to you.

And, honestly, does provenance mean that much? Maybe I'm not looking at this issue correctly, but I don't care who owned it before me or who owned it before the previous owner.

If you write on a comic it brings down the value so of course you wouldn't do that. That's a no-brainer. There was an auction of Graham Nash's collection of original art recently. Had he autographed the back of each page I can't help but think that would increase the value or would at least add a WOW factor to anyone you showed it to. When a celebrity has previously owned a piece it becomes more valuable. Just look at the sales of Nick Cage's comics. A COA can be lost but the signature on the back of the art stays with it. How about someone who is prominent in the hobby? Having the name of someone who is well known in original art collecting may make you piece more desirable as well. HA will mention the names of deceased collectors when there pieces become available for auction. So again I ask where are the negatives in doing this other than it being unfamiliar and scary to hobbyists?    

In defense of provenance, I Do think its cool to capture the history of our hobby. Just not on the objects. As many have said, I would record it elsewhere, and pass it along.

To answer the OP's post, unless it was a must-have piece for me, I probably would pass. I don't like autographs on comics either, generally. I certainly don't want scrawl on the cover of a key. I'd rather have the autograph separately, and only if it stems from a meanginful personal encounter. (Standing in line to fork over money does not meet my criteria of a meaningful autograph.) But that's just me; I know there's a market.

Cool creator, signature inside the book, book not a major key or rarity, I can live with that. 

I'm thinking as I type here --- kind of apples and oranges, perhaps, as I would not mind a creator signing a piece of OA -- in the margin.

3 minutes ago, Michaeld said:

So again I ask where are the negatives in doing this other than it being unfamiliar and scary to hobbyists?    

No negatives.

I'd rather have the the names of thirty collectors date-stamped before me on the back than a single large marker signature by Sal Buscema or John Byrne inside a panel!

9 minutes ago, vodou said:

I've got no problem with it and even did it recently. We're talking about 'the back' here - get real people! As to fine art, some of the coolest stuff on old paintings are on the back, artist's and gallerist's notes, old gallery, museum and exhibition stickers, stamps, etc. All very interesting, and all the more so the older the piece is and the more 'stuff' is on the back.

This happens with comics art too. I got a page of Romita Jr from his first issue of Iron Man, #116, and on the back, uninked, is a bust of Tony Stark. He was clearly working things out, and it makes the page a lot cooler, IMO.

16 minutes ago, Michaeld said:

If you write on a comic it brings down the value so of course you wouldn't do that. That's a no-brainer. There was an auction of Graham Nash's collection of original art recently. Had he autographed the back of each page I can't help but think that would increase the value or would at least add a WOW factor to anyone you showed it to. When a celebrity has previously owned a piece it becomes more valuable. Just look at the sales of Nick Cage's comics. A COA can be lost but the signature on the back of the art stays with it. How about someone who is prominent in the hobby? Having the name of someone who is well known in original art collecting may make you piece more desirable as well. HA will mention the names of deceased collectors when there pieces become available for auction. So again I ask where are the negatives in doing this other than it being unfamiliar and scary to hobbyists?    

Are you some kind of celebrity so famous that we just can't live without your signature on the back? And, is anyone going to remember the MichaelD collection? Only for the pieces that came out of it in this day and age. I mean, I love to know the history of stuff as I have been a comics historian and journalist for more than two decades, but I cannot believe anyone would think writing on the backs of art is a good idea. One light pencil doesn't show through, but when you start writing stuff in pen on the back of the art, it can bleed through or show through when you frame it. It's just an all-around dumb idea and I am amazed that it's even a question.

On the comicart-l group I argued against a dealer putting his ink stamp on the art he was selling from artists who he represented. I stand by that and argue against writing ANYTHING on the backs (or fronts) of comic art. If someone involved with production of the art didn't write it on there, it has no place on it, plain and simple.

26 minutes ago, vodou said:

You're talking about art on canvas and not WHITE PAPER through which the names can show and through which the ink can bleed. I don't think anyone buys original art because of the previous owner's name written in ink on the back.

I enjoy getting in vintage art and sadistically seeing the original (or close to it) sale price written on the back.  $250 for that Keown Hulk action page?  Cool!  $150 for that Nowlan New Mutants page?  Awesome!  :cry:

Now I wouldn't do it myself, but it's a nice artifact of a different time.  However, seeing a note for a page being blueline inks, that is something I think we should all be after.

Simon