• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALL-BAKER COMICS
7 7

487 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Inaflash said:

Which one of your sales threads will this be posted in?

Something post-mortem.

We've discussed this in the past... but I have a feeling a few newer Baker fans have joined the party recently, so... 

Here's another cover that often gets credit for being a Baker; Secrets of Love and Marriage Vol.2 No.1, Charlton, Aug., 1956.  It's not him, but at least this one's an honest mistake, since it's a direct swipe of a panel Baker did draw, in Teen-Age Temptations #8, June 1954 (two years earlier).  The Charlton cover is probably by "Spoon" Giordano (or, as Andy calls him, Duck Giordano)...     

SecretsOfLoveAndMarriage1.jpg

TT8_pg3_pnl3.jpg

21 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

We've discussed this in the past... but I have a feeling a few newer Baker fans have joined the party recently, so... 

Here's another cover that often gets credit for being a Baker; Secrets of Love and Marriage Vol.2 No.1, Charlton, Aug., 1956.  It's not him, but at least this one's an honest mistake, since it's a direct swipe of a panel Baker did draw, in Teen-Age Temptations #8, June 1954 (two years earlier).  The Charlton cover is probably by "Spoon" Giordano (or, as Andy calls him, Duck Giordano)...     

TT8_pg3_pnl3.jpg

Wasn't there an eBay seller who kept listing copies of this book noting that it might be a Baker cover?  Or maybe he just kept listing the same copy over and over. 

I can't seem to find a scan of my copy, but there's another Charlton romance book where Giordano rips off the cover to TAR 43. 

Edited:  Found a scan.  Not sure if this is my copy or not.

T2eC16VyMFIcv1K1BSN5tVHY60_57_zps4063aad

Edited by Sqeggs

2 hours ago, szavisca said:

You old schoolers who can't even remember what you have.. :) 

I guess if you dig through the pile and find out that this is your copy it must be something like finding a 20$ bill in the pocket of a jacket you haven't worn in years.  Or in the case of this book would it be more like a 5$ bill?

If only I had an extra copy of TAR 43 in there somewhere!

I knew there was at least one other example of Giordano borrowing from Baker.  Brides in Love #3, Charlton, Apr., 1957, bears more than a passing resemblance to the first panel of this page from Teen-Age Romances #19, Dec., 1951.  (Now this panel made for a pretty good cover.) 

(Both are borrowed from the DCM):  

BridesInLove3_4_57.jpg

tar19_page.jpg

Edited by 29dukedog

On 10/2/2017 at 12:30 PM, Sqeggs said:

This illo is really a knockout! 

On 10/3/2017 at 8:37 AM, 29dukedog said:

TT8_pg3_pnl3.jpg

I also see hints of Kubert (son of sinbad-ish) and ditko in the cover.  Almost like it was an Iger studio collaboration.

On 10/3/2017 at 9:03 AM, Sqeggs said:

I can't seem to find a scan of my copy, but there's another Charlton romance book where Giordano rips off the cover to TAR 43. 

Edited:  Found a scan.  Not sure if this is my copy or not.

T2eC16VyMFIcv1K1BSN5tVHY60_57_zps4063aad

I guess we old timers can't see very good either, cause the bottom left of the pic says "talesofsuspense"...Now, why would that be on your pic if it were your copy?  :baiting:

1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I guess we old timers can't see very good either, cause the bottom left of the pic says "talesofsuspense"...Now, why would that be on your pic if it were your copy?  :baiting:

Well, they don't do too good a job of policing their boxes at cons ....