• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALL-BAKER COMICS
7 7

487 posts in this topic

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 6:43 PM, 29dukedog said:

I knew there was at least one other example of Giordano borrowing from Baker.  Brides in Love #3, Charlton, Apr., 1957, bears more than a passing resemblance to the first panel of this page from Teen-Age Romances #19, Dec., 1951.  (Now this panel made for a pretty good cover.) 

(Both are borrowed from the DCM):  

BridesInLove3_4_57.jpg

tar19_page.jpg

Kind of a coincidence this thread has recently been resurrected; not long ago I finally found a solid Fine/Fine+ copy of Brides in Love #3, which I've been after for a while.  I haven't made a new scan of it yet, tho. 

The cover is an outright Baker homage.  Giordano could've changed so much about the background, but he followed the original panel very closely (and the main foreground woman's figure is reproduced almost line for line).  

3 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Kind of a coincidence this thread has recently been resurrected; not long ago I finally found a solid Fine/Fine+ copy of Brides in Love #3, which I've been after for a while.  I haven't made a new scan of it yet, tho. 

The cover is an outright Baker homage.  Giordano could've changed so much about the background, but he followed the original panel very closely (and the main foreground woman's figure is reproduced almost line for line).  

Is it?  Were they known to be friends?  Seems like an odd way to do an homage -- reproducing a single (not all that memorable) panel.  Reproducing a cover like DS 17 might have been more of an homage, although maybe that would have run a greater risk of copyright problems. hm