• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALL-BAKER COMICS
7 7

487 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

When I was a kid in the 1960s 1940s, a woman who lived downstairs from us had that sort of white streak in her hair.  It was the style apparently, although it always struck me as unappealing -- not as unappealing as the cover to PL 17, though. :insane:

FTFY!! :preach:

On 9/28/2017 at 10:27 AM, 29dukedog said:

I can't imagine what bearing Baker's sexual orientation could have on an evaluation of his work, itself.  Had he been hetero, could he have drawn women any more beautifully?  And, if gay, why aren't his male figures as equally magnificent?   

2c  

It doesn't matter in the sense that the drawings are what they are whatever Baker's backstory may be.  But you could say the same thing about any artwork, book, musical composition, or whatever.  You could say "Who cares about Fitzgerald's life?  His books are what they are."  But knowing Fitzgerald's life increases our understanding of the writing process and of the book and magazine publishing business in the early 20th century.  I think we are interested in the lives of comic book artists and in the history of the comic book business because we're fans and because we want to know about the process that produced the books -- both the artistic process and the publishing process.  

That Baker was a gay black man whose best work came during the 1950s when he was drawing heterosexual white couples in romantic situations is pretty darn interesting however you look at it.  

Just now, 29dukedog said:
5 minutes ago, tabcom said:

Thanks for the help 29dukedog

It's been great fun!  Thank you for the math!  

Thanks to both!  Tacoma, I mean talcum, I mean tabcom was able to finally pull this together after us technofeebs dithered over it for a year or two or three. 

4 minutes ago, sagii said:

I had the top two pegged right! It's been a blast. I'm at the office till 7, been looking in and out all morning.  Will opine further tonight. Thanks @tabcom you rock sir! 

FWIW, this is how I thought the final four would count down: 

4.  gce 12
3.  ss 4 
2.  pl 17
1.  cl 25

Remove the PL 17, and the rest is in the right order, at least.