• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOW US YOUR GOLDEN AGE CANADIAN COMICS
12 12

1,826 posts in this topic

EC....have you heard of Canadian Grape Nuts Cereal give aways?

I've a Dime Comics...no #... And it advertises other titles inside.

Still part attached is the paste on GrapeNuts advert that was on cerealbox and comic..ripping the cover unfortunately...was sure I've posted it..but was elsewhere I gather.I will.see if I can find my image.

EC....have you heard of Canadian Grape Nuts Cereal give aways?

I've a Dime Comics...no #... And it advertises other titles inside.

Still part attached is the paste on GrapeNuts advert that was on cerealbox and comic..ripping the cover unfortunately...was sure I've posted it..but was elsewhere I gather.I will.see if I can find my image.

ActiveGiveaway_zpsed33fd85.jpg

If Stephen will allow me to expand on that those came out right after the main runs of dime and active were finished. WECA was either over or about to be over and Bell was trying to manoeuvre his business in the new environment. New dime, new active etc are the beginnings of those efforts. Therefore likely 1946 as WECA ended then. Stephen or Jim or some of the others can correct me but I think those are the first bells that had distribution into the US

Any chance of posting the pics Stephen? I don't think the link works for me as I have my posts per page set to a non default amount so links that reference page numbers don't work for me and for anyone else with my settings

HISTORY:

WEIRD SUSPENSTORIES ARE IN FACT A HYBRID OF CRIME SUSPENSTORIES, PUBLISHED BY SUPERIOR COMICS, WITH THE EXPRESS PERMISSION OF THE ENTERTAINING COMICS GROUP (EC), IN TORONTO FROM OCTOBER 1951-DECEMBER 1951, EXACTLY ONE YEAR FOLLOWING THEIR AMERICAN COUNTERPARTS.

ISSUES # 1-3 ARE CITED AS THE ONLY ISSUES KNOWN TO EXIST, AND FEW COPIES HAVE SURFACED IN THE PAST 50 YEARS. THE INTERIOR OF THESE BOOKS ARE IDENTICAL TO CRIME SUSPENSTORIES # 1-3, BUT HAVE CANADIAN HOUSE ADS, AND THE LETTER PAGES HAVE BEEN DROPPED.

LEGISLATION WAS PASSED IN CANADA WHICH MADE IT A CRIMINAL OFFENCE TO IMPORT CRIME COMICS INTO CANADA BETWEEN 1949-1953, HENCE THE WORD “WEIRD” REPLACED “CRIME” ON THE COVERS OF THESE COMICS. THIS LENDS AN ESOTERIC ELEMENT TO THIS GENRE AND ONLY 2-3 COPIES OF EACH BOOK ARE KNOWN TO EXIST.

WSSCGC1-3.jpg