• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beckett
3 3

418 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, shadroch said:

Does the coin hobby have anything near the size of ComicCon or the NY and Chicago Cons? I dabble in coins and went to what was presented as a major show in Las Vegas several months ago.  It wasn't much to speak of. Biggest show I ever attended, but I've been to some auctions here that drew more people.

The problem with modern coins is they make them in the 100 millions, so they will never be rare. That's why I always get a kick out of comic guys who complain that NM#98 has a print run of about 200,000. That 200,000 would be considered a low modern circulation coin compared to the 100 millions of modern coins made.

1 hour ago, comicdonna said:

I think the largest in the US is FUN in Florida, and takes place in January.  It doesn't even come close to comparing to comic conventions. 

The shows are smaller because they showcase what the show is about , i.e., Collecting coins.  They don't have cosplay, pop culture, film, whatever list  movie stars signing autographs in them..etc.  The aren't the zoos that modern comic book conventions have become.

Edited by Lucky Baru

Someone saying Voldy (in itself so strange, we get warnings on this board for saying who we are talking about) is folding or failing is simply lying, and projecting their own misinformation.  TATS were falling behind, despite staffing from 6 to 34 members in a few short years in the new company, because the submissions were so overwhelmingly ahead of the projections.  Beckett partnership has long list of positives, which I cant list for same reason I cant name who I am talking about, warnings/strikes though in general getting access to more infrastructure/staff/funds to catch up on TATS and expand product offerings, is a positive.

It is not a secret that certain old time vendors, who simply did not want to touch a graded book for years, now deal exclusively in Voldy slabs, look at Tomorrows Treasures online and show offerings for instance, you wont see a CGC, and if he gets one, cracks it. Steve B has long time relationships and respectfully answers all questions and concerns to such an extent that we have a top 2, and everyone can co exist while completely ignoring existence of the "other" with no downside as grading in itself is such a tiny portion of overall comic industry.

12 hours ago, Foolkiller said:

I certainly prefer CGC to Voldy for a variety of reasons and I generally agree that CGC books sell better than Voldy.  With that said, I don't think the disparity is quite as wide as you might imagine.  It's also a good thing overall for collectors and consumers for there to be legitimate competition.  There are dealers who sell only Voldy slabs and there's no shortage of people clamoring to buy them.  If there's a nice book, you evaluate the same as you do any slab, you look at the book.  There's no blanket rule for me that I won't buy or sell a Voldy slab.  My preference is my experience with CGC, but there are plenty of books in Voldy slabs I have and will continue to pay the same or more than a CGC book.  It just depends on the actual book, which I believe is always the case for the educated collector, what's the slogan?  Buy the book, not the label.  

Clearly, according to JDR, you have loads of C-B-C-S slabs to dump. 

48 minutes ago, gcstomp said:

Someone saying Voldy (in itself so strange, we get warnings on this board for saying who we are talking about) is folding or failing is simply lying, and projecting their own misinformation.  TATS were falling behind, despite staffing from 6 to 34 members in a few short years in the new company, because the submissions were so overwhelmingly ahead of the projections.  Beckett partnership has long list of positives, which I cant list for same reason I cant name who I am talking about, warnings/strikes though in general getting access to more infrastructure/staff/funds to catch up on TATS and expand product offerings, is a positive.

It is not a secret that certain old time vendors, who simply did not want to touch a graded book for years, now deal exclusively in Voldy slabs, look at Tomorrows Treasures online and show offerings for instance, you wont see a CGC, and if he gets one, cracks it. Steve B has long time relationships and respectfully answers all questions and concerns to such an extent that we have a top 2, and everyone can co exist while completely ignoring existence of the "other" with no downside as grading in itself is such a tiny portion of overall comic industry.

I have bought CGC slabs from tomorrow's treasures so that comment is not true.  Richie hasn't cracked out CGC books in awhile.  He used to before he started slabbing with Steve B.  Richie has taken a long time to join the world of slab-o-maniacs.

13 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Cheerleader?   Not really.  I just give props where props are due. And Voldy slabs sell less EVERYWHERE. The volume of sales on eBay and Facebook alone easily eclipses all other venues combined.  And you forgot Amazon and Craigslist.  The discounts Voldy slabs have gotten are memorialized in multiple threads and discussions in both the GA and SA sub forums.   It's real and it's palpable.  There are people who openly avoid their slabs and services because it doesn't make good business sense to use them if you ever plan on selling. Some of the snarky, personal attacks you see are from people who knowingly bought a lesser product at a discount from a knock-off start up, and are now upset and nervous about it because the company has gone belly up and needs to be saved by a notorious card company stalwart.   You get what you pay for. I don't mind paying CGC prices for CGC slabs because I'm getting a solid product from the market leader who created the industry nearly 20 years ago.  They have EARNED that premium.  A company folding up as quickly as Voldy did and then SELLING OUT (pun intended) to who they did, only validates what I have always thought of them all along- they were a bogus also-ran just one tick above PGX.

-J.

Craigslist......:roflmao:

3 hours ago, mysterio said:

What do the cosplayers at coin shows dress as?

I actually suggested in the coin forum, that cosplayers might help get more people to the conventions.  None of the coinees were amused. 

1 minute ago, comicdonna said:

I actually suggested in the coin forum, that cosplayers might help get more people to the conventions.  None of the coinees were amused. 

They may lobby to get you a strike for that suggestion! lol

I get that they buy tickets, but I do miss the good old days before "professional" cosplaying showed up.

Edited by mysterio

25 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
  13 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Cheerleader?   Not really.  I just give props where props are due. And Voldy slabs sell less EVERYWHERE. The volume of sales on eBay and Facebook alone easily eclipses all other venues combined.  And you forgot Amazon and Craigslist.  The discounts Voldy slabs have gotten are memorialized in multiple threads and discussions in both the GA and SA sub forums.   It's real and it's palpable.  There are people who openly avoid their slabs and services because it doesn't make good business sense to use them if you ever plan on selling. Some of the snarky, personal attacks you see are from people who knowingly bought a lesser product at a discount from a knock-off start up, and are now upset and nervous about it because the company has gone belly up and needs to be saved by a notorious card company stalwart.   You get what you pay for. I don't mind paying CGC prices for CGC slabs because I'm getting a solid product from the market leader who created the industry nearly 20 years ago.  They have EARNED that premium.  A company folding up as quickly as Voldy did and then SELLING OUT (pun intended) to who they did, only validates what I have always thought of them all along- they were a bogus also-ran just one tick above PGX.

-J.

Interesting side point. I was at the Louisville Derby Con last week and a dealer had several slabs from that garage in the Northwest.

I asked him why do you have so many of these you know about the reputation right? He told me sure he did, but he was still made a good market up on the book and it was much cheaper for him to slab. He planned to continue to use them because he told me they sometimes inflate grades as well so it helps him.  I walked away just stunned. 

30 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

4 hours ago, comicdonna said:

I think the largest in the US is FUN in Florida, and takes place in January.  It doesn't even come close to comparing to comic conventions. 

The shows are smaller because they showcase what the show is about , i.e., Collecting coins.  They don't have cosplay, pop culture, film, whatever list  movie stars signing autographs in them..etc.  The aren't the zoos that modern comic book conventions have become.

Nor the attendance or entertainment. I hate all that stuff too, but more dealers come which is all I care about.

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

I have bought CGC slabs from tomorrow's treasures so that comment is not true.  Richie hasn't cracked out CGC books in awhile.  He used to before he started slabbing with Steve B.  Richie has taken a long time to join the world of slab-o-maniacs.

That's true, while he submits exclusively to Voldy, he absolutely has and will sell you CGC slabs.  He no longer cracks out CGC (and hasn't for about two years) because he's caught the wave of the fact that to max out value it has to be in a holder on certain types of books.  

17 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

...a dealer had several slabs from that garage in the Northwest.

I asked him why do you have so many of these you know about the reputation right? He told me sure he did, but he was still made a good market up on the book and it was much cheaper for him to slab. He planned to continue to use them because he told me they sometimes inflate grades as well so it helps him.  I walked away just stunned. 

This surprises or stuns you?

Across all fields, there are an alarming number of collectors and dealers who couldn't care less about the actual grade, authenticity or existence of restoration. To them, all that matters is that **someone** "certified" it.

31 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Interesting side point. I was at the Louisville Derby Con last week and a dealer had several slabs from that garage in the Northwest.

Why are his remarks so 'stunning' ? His remarks would apply to CGC also. He submits because there is a good markup on the book. Ditto CGC. Sometimes he gets inflated grades, assuming this means higher than he thought the book graded, ditto CGC.  Don't even try to rebuttal that CGC never overgrades. LOL.

23 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

This is 100% accurate. 

However...

The value of Voldy slabs even before this announcement was made was always appreciably less than CGC slabs.  Yes, there will still be an intrinsic value to the books within the slabs, but to maximize slab values and protect slab investments, CPR to CGC.

-J.

This statement still is not true. I have had no issue getting equal money regardless of holder. This can be for SA or modern variants, I have not had to sell for less because of a case.

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Why are his remarks so 'stunning' ? His remarks would apply to CGC also. He submits because there is a good markup on the book. Ditto CGC. Sometimes he gets inflated grades, assuming this means higher than he thought the book graded, ditto CGC.  Don't even try to rebuttal that CGC never overgrades. LOL.

"On Site grade bump"

16 hours ago, Foolkiller said:

I certainly prefer CGC to Voldy for a variety of reasons and I generally agree that CGC books sell better than Voldy.  With that said, I don't think the disparity is quite as wide as you might imagine.  It's also a good thing overall for collectors and consumers for there to be legitimate competition.  There are dealers who sell only Voldy slabs and there's no shortage of people clamoring to buy them.  If there's a nice book, you evaluate the same as you do any slab, you look at the book.  There's no blanket rule for me that I won't buy or sell a Voldy slab.  My preference is my experience with CGC, but there are plenty of books in Voldy slabs I have and will continue to pay the same or more than a CGC book.  It just depends on the actual book, which I believe is always the case for the educated collector, what's the slogan?  Buy the book, not the label.  

"Educated Collector" no, if you were an "educated collector" you would already know that 1 company is a hack and the other is infallible. Name 1 time CGC has made a mistake, times up, you can't (because I didn't let you). But in all honesty, if the book presents as graded it sells for FMV plastic grading company aside. I have bought and sold quite a few of both, and I can honestly say that I haven't had any issues since the "new case" debacle awhile back where I had to keep sending books back, had to have books pressed to try and retain grade, etc.

Both companies will continue to have ups and downs and as time goes on there will be (2) major grading companies. And I will continue to use CGC at some point in time, most likely once I feel their grading is consistent again.