• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best "Bang" for my Buck
2 2

37 posts in this topic

Well, I've "narrowed" it down so to speak.  So, out of the follow which would you choose for my $500?

Avengers 4 - can get about a 1.5 raw.

Detective Comics 359 - A CGC 3.

Silver Surfer 4 - figure I can get about a CGC 7

Werewolf by Night 32 - a 5/6 CGC

Batman Adventures 12 - a CGC 9.0

Long Shots

Hulk 181 - 1.0 missing the MVS

Action Comics 252 - 1.0

The IH 181 and AC 252 would be great but I doubt I'd fine anything for the price I can pay.

30 minutes ago, Brewcrewfan77 said:

Well, I've "narrowed" it down so to speak.  So, out of the follow which would you choose for my $500?

Avengers 4 - can get about a 1.5 raw.

Detective Comics 359 - A CGC 3.

I'm torn between the two.  I guess it boils down to which character you like more.  

11 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I'm torn between the two.  I guess it boils down to which character you like more.  

I personally would save that 500.00 and add to it to get something you really want.

Edited by oakman29

9 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I personally would save that 500.00 and add to it to get something you really want.

Agree.

I may have missed it but what do you really like?

Personally, I would not buy any book that was missing the MVS, centrefold, etc.  I would also avoid a restored book "just to have a copy" unless you are into some GA/SA key that would be completely unaffordable otherwise. 

I don't have a particular favorite per se' but out of the ones I listed above those are the ones I've had my eyes on the longest.  The only book I would really ever consider that wasn't 100% complete would be IH 181 and if it were only missing the stamp.  I'm not an investor so it would be for my personal collection so if it just was missing that and the price was acceptable, I'd take it.  The others would all have to be 100% non restored complete.

I don't want to add onto the 'spend more money' bandwagon but if you look at long term growth using gpa or gocollect.com (free), I seem to notice more often than not the 8.0-9.2 range is growing stronger than anything in a 1.0-5.0 grade range.  

Here's a perfect example.

http://comics.gocollect.com/priceguide/view/134510

Click "All time" and look at how the return has changed on a giant size xmen 1 in a 8.5 grade vs a 5.0 grade.  (33% vs 5%).

Edited by 90sChild

4 hours ago, 90sChild said:

I don't want to add onto the 'spend more money' bandwagon but if you look at long term growth using gpa or gocollect.com (free), I seem to notice more often than not the 8.0-9.2 range is growing stronger than anything in a 1.0-5.0 grade range.  

Here's a perfect example.

http://comics.gocollect.com/priceguide/view/134510

Click "All time" and look at how the return has changed on a giant size xmen 1 in a 8.5 grade vs a 5.0 grade.  (33% vs 5%).

Interesting. Sad but true for me though, as I'm debating buying an ASM 50 SS by john romita and stan lee cgc 4.0 or a new mutants 98 cgc 9.4... believe it or not the NM is cheaper by about $100 but I don't own a ASM 50 yet. Long story short I'm having buyers remorse before I even make a purchase....

Why? Why do you have to make logistical sense? lol

:tink:

3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Interesting. Sad but true for me though, as I'm debating buying an ASM 50 SS by john romita and stan lee cgc 4.0 or a new mutants 98 cgc 9.4... believe it or not the NM is cheaper by about $100 but I don't own a ASM 50 yet. Long story short I'm having buyers remorse before I even make a purchase....

Why? Why do you have to make logistical sense? lol

:tink:

That is an interesting comparison and I might actually lean towards the ASM 50 on that one. Modern/Copper in 9.4 seems to be alot less desirable than a Bronze 9.4. 

Nm98 is also trending downwards quite a bit lately be sure to look into that.  You could say a downswing is always a chance to buy, but I think it will be hard to ever hit that original hype from the first deadpool movie ever again.   http://comics.gocollect.com/priceguide/view/155574