• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney/Fox Talks
3 3

731 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Chip Cataldo said:

I don't believe you. Not after everything that happened and was said publicly & privately. It doesn't bother me now, but it is what it is. 

if i recall correctly we did the opposite of that. i can only speak for myself in the end and do not want you to drop dead

9 hours ago, Chip Cataldo said:

I don't believe you. Not after everything that happened and was said publicly & privately. It doesn't bother me now, but it is what it is. 

Shame you feel that way Chip, you're a great contributor to the forum and I enjoy reading your posts in the movie section.

5 minutes ago, bane said:

Shame you feel that way Chip, you're a great contributor to the forum and I enjoy reading your posts in the movie section.

Especially every time he points out a movie needs more boobs.

(:

But I agree. No to taking a life. Including your own. Life is too wonderful for that.

Just now, Quicksilver Signs said:

Are any Disney superhero movies memorable? There are no stakes or drama, you KNOW the hero will prevail and be back for a sequel. Spoiler alert: the Avengers will beat Thanos with minimal casualties. They’re great popcorn fare and a good way to get out but  not sure any would be in my top 20 of great movies. Recently, Fox with Deadpool and Logan are the ones that stand out imo.

To me, GOTG sticks out like a sore thumb (in a good way) from the rest of the superhero movies. Rocket has easily become one of my all time favorite characters because of it. Btw, Disney doesn't make theme park rides based off characters, movies, or themes that aren't memorable. 

"There are no stakes or drama, you KNOW the hero will prevail and be back for a sequel."

This is true for just about every single superhero movie ever made. It's THE superhero formula. 

Edited by Darkowl

The Feige era movies are memorable, of course they are.  But I do agree that most of them don't crack the top 5 superhero films of all time, whereas Logan most definitely does.  But I also wouldn't put ANY of them in the bottom half of all superhero movies, either.  They're turning out consistently good content.  But to say none of them crack the top 20?  Yes, some do.  Avengers does.  Iron Man does...you could say that preceded Disney's purchase of Marvel in 2009, but it's Feige that dictates these movies, not Disney, so you should be looking at the movies of the Feige era when this Marvel cinematic universe began.  Homecoming and Civil War are top 20, not top 10 though.

Just now, sonicyouth1 said:

a Hulk Vs Wolverine movie... omg..

how will this not make 2 billion?

Could you imagine what that would do to the value of Hulk 181?!

Edited by Darkowl

Just now, fantastic_four said:

The Feige era movies are memorable, of course they are.  But I do agree that most of them don't crack the top 5 superhero films of all time, whereas Logan most definitely does.  But I also wouldn't put ANY of them in the bottom half of all superhero movies, either.  They're turning out consistently good content.  But to say none of them crack the top 20?  Yes, some do.  Avengers does.  Iron Man does...you could say that preceded Disney's purchase of Marvel in 2009, but it's Feige that dictates these movies, not Disney, so you should be looking at the movies of the Feige era when this Marvel cinematic universe began.  Homecoming and Civil War are top 20, not top 10 though.

It's really simple. Just compare Disney's track record to Fox's track record when it comes to superhero films. FOX got really lucky with Logan and Deadpool, and if it was up them them, those movies never would have been made in the first place. Disney is at least smart enough to know what sells. 

Edited by Darkowl

21 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

FOX got really lucky with Logan and Deadpool, and if it was up them them, those movies never would have been made in the first place.

They did, but it's that luck that creates the best films, and I think that's his point and it's a valid one.  DC similarly lucked out with Christopher Nolan and the Dark Knight films, but letting a great director make a great movie is the path to the best success.  It's also the path to the stinkiest bombs of all time, too, when you put the wrong directors on a film, so it's a double-edged sword.  :eek:  I put the top 5 superhero films of all time as something similar to this list:

1. The Dark Knight
  2. Spider-Man 2
  3. Batman Begins
  4. Logan
  5. Iron Man

I'm less sure about #5 on that list because the villain in that movie is lame, but the first hour of that movie is absolutely scintillating and the top four are solidly thought through.  All four of those were the result of a great director being given the freedom to execute a fantastic vision, and Quicksilver's point about Marvel directors not being given that freedom means we may only see consistently fun, solid movies, but no truly great ones.  I'm not sure he's wrong, but I'm also not convinced it's right, either, and I think it's absolutely possible for a top 5 film to come out of Feige's stable.  Either way it's an interesting idea to contemplate as we watch the movies come out the next few years.

Edited by fantastic_four

Why are folks so afraid that Disney won't produce R-rated superhero films?

If their approach to the MCU so far has demonstrated anything, it's that they are very very smart about how they approach superheroes.

Also - Disney's produced R-rated film literally for decades, esp. through their Touchstone Pictures and Buena Vista imprints.

A short list includes:

• Pretty Woman
  • Crimson Tide
  • Con Air
  • The Rock
  • Dead Poets Society
  • Starship Troopers

All Rated R, all Disney.

Just now, fantastic_four said:

They did, but it's that luck that creates the best films, and I think that's his point and it's a valid one.  DC similarly lucked out with Christopher Nolan and the Dark Knight films, but letting a great director make a great movie is the path to the best success.  It's also the path to the stinkiest bombs of all time, too, when you put the wrong directors on a film, so it's a double-edged sword.  :eek:  I put the top 5 superhero films of all time as something similar to this list:

1. The Dark Knight
  2. Spider-Man 2
  3. Batman Begins
  4. Logan
  5. Iron Man

I'm less sure about #5 on that list because the villain in that movie is lame, but the first hour of that movie is absolutely scintillating and the top four are solidly thought through.  All four of those were the result of a great director being given the freedom to execute a fantastic vision, and Quicksilver's point about Marvel directors not being given that freedom means we may only see consistently fun, solid movies, but no truly great ones.  I'm not sure he's wrong, but I'm also not convinced it's right, either, and I think it's absolutely possible for a top 5 film to come out of Feige's stable.  Either way it's an interesting idea to contemplate as we watch the movies come out the next few years.

I think James Gunn was given the freedom to execute a fantastic vision, which is one big reason why Guardians was way more successful than what we all thought it was going to be. I would be fooling myself If I thought that GOTG was not in my top 5 favorites, and yes, it is a "truly great" film. I realize that this is my own opinion.

When it comes down to it, Disney has won my faith and trust when it comes to superhero films. I have faith that they will be making some groundbreaking films within the next 10 years. Now that they have rights to some of our favorite characters, It seems like the possibilities are endless. 

Edited by Darkowl

Just now, kdoginohio said:

will we get a decent FF film out of this? maybe a REAL Galactus, or would that compete with the Mad Lavender Titan?

It's interesting that Disney has already been going in that direction. I've always wanted to see a well done Silver Surfer movie. I finally have hope that it's going to happen. 

Former Thing Actor Wants His Chance to Fight Hulk Now That Disney Bought Fox

thing-ben-grimm-chiklis-1066456-640x320.

Now that Disney has agreed to purchase 21st Century Fox, turning the rights of the Fantastic Four over to Marvel Studios, fans are anxiously awaiting the chance to see their favorite characters interact on the big screen for the first time.

For Michael Chiklis, this means a larger-than-life showdown between The Thing and The Incredible Hulk.

Chiklis is best known in the comic community for portraying Ben Grimm, a.k.a. The Thing, in the first two Fantastic Four films. Hours after Disney announced the purchase of 21st Century Fox, the actor took to Twitter to tell fans all about the fight he wants a piece of.

BShugMM.png

Interesting.

5 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Why are folks so afraid that Disney won't produce R-rated superhero films?

If their approach to the MCU so far has demonstrated anything, it's that they are very very smart about how they approach superheroes.

Also - Disney's produced R-rated film literally for decades, esp. through their Touchstone Pictures and Buena Vista imprints.

A short list includes:

• Pretty Woman
  • Crimson Tide
  • Con Air
  • The Rock
  • Dead Poets Society
  • Starship Troopers

All Rated R, all Disney.

Anything more recent?