• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney/Fox Talks
3 3

731 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, AmazingComics413 said:

Did they ever reveal where the Avengers moved in Spider-Man Homecoming / who bought the Avengers tower?

Either I missed that part or they're saving that info for this.

IIRC the new Avengers HQ was first shown at the end if AOU. Tho i dont know who purchased the Stark/Avenger tower.

RUMOR: Hugh Jackman May Return As WOLVERINE In The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Wolverine_4.jpg

While Jackman maintains that he's done with the role, a new report about the planned Fox/Disney deal claims that he could return as Wolverine once everything pans out. "And yes, it’s true," Ain't It Cool News claims. "We may see Hugh Jackman return to Wolverine for this." This should strictly be categorized as a rumour for now but it's hard not to get excited over the possibility this might happen.

Would it be confusing to moviegoers? Well, Jackman has already played multiple versions of Wolverine in different timelines so it would be easy enough for him to appear as yet another James Howlett in the Marvel Cinematic Universe once this deal is finalised. His version of the iconic character standing alongside the likes of Captain America and Spider-Man would also be a massive box office draw.

Hype machine is still churning...anxious for some real news.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-11/fox-deal-is-said-coming-within-days-giving-murdoch-disney-stake

"With speculation mounting that a deal was in the works, the Murdochs -- Rupert and his sons Lachlan and James -- sent a memo to employees late last week.

'We want to address the headlines about us possibly talking to other companies about a potential transaction,” the Murdochs said in the Dec. 7 email. “While we can’t comment on market speculation, we do want to address the impact we know this is having on all of you. Uncertainty always breeds unease. In every way, our focus is on our businesses and on the welfare of all our colleagues.'"

Turns out there is a little hiccup with the Fantastic Four film rights: Fox doesn't own them. It licenses those rights.

Disney Closes In On Fox's Assets As Comcast Bows Out - But Will The FANTASTIC FOUR Be Part Of The Deal?

Variety reports that Disney has taken one step closer to finalising that deal with 21st Century Fox none of us have been able to stop talking about, as Comcast has seemingly decided that it's foolish to attempt to compete with that almighty Mouse money and bowed out of the chase.

So, pending an official announcement, it looks like a done deal. However, one set of Marvel characters that fall under the Fox umbrella may not be joining the party.

It turns out that Constantin Films still retains the production rights to The Fantastic Four, and even though they partnered-up with Fox for the past three movies, the fact that we have no idea how ownership of the property is currently divided means there is a chance that The Thing, Human Torch and co. won't be joining The X-Men in The MCU if the deal does go through.

It's interesting how over the years how many companies had the rights which then would be handed off to other companies - but not Marvel. Screenrant went into a little more details.

Disney’s Fox Acquisition Could Leave the Fantastic Four Behind

Constantin Films and 20th Century Fox spent years developing their big-budget Fantastic Four movie (thanks to an extension by Marvel in 1999) before finally releasing the product, co-produced by Arad and Marvel Enterprises, in 2005, starring Ioan Gruffudd, Jessica Alba, Chris Evans, Michael Chiklis, and Julian McMahon. While we don’t know the exact details of Constantin’s deal with Fox, the Hollywood studio does possess distribution rights for the characters (similar to Paramount Pictures once controlling distribution for Iron Man, Thor, and The Avengers), via Marvel’s 1999 agreement with the studio.

Constantin Films’ partnership with 20th Century Fox, though confounding to the uninitiated, actually isn’t unprecedented. For instance, Warner Bros. Pictures-owned New Line Cinema is responsible for producing each and every installment in Peter Jackson’s Middle-Earth series, and they are currently working in-tandem with Amazon Studios to bring J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle-Earth to life on the small screen, but New Line doesn’t actually hold the rights to Tolkien’s narratives; The Saul Zaentz Company (which operates as Middle-Earth Enterprises) does, and they license out the books’ film rights to New Line Cinema.

Unlike the aforementioned licensing contract between Middle-Earth Enterprises and New Line Cinema, Constantin Films is an actual production company that produces their films alongside their studio partners. Although Constantin Films’ agreement with 20th Century Fox remains unclear at this stage, as the fine print of their arrangement has never been made public, there’s always a chance they may be unwilling relinquish creative control of the franchise to Marvel Studios, should the Mouse House move forward with their acquisition of 20th Century Fox (and obtain the distribution rights to the Fantastic Four).

Contractually, Disney buying 20th Century Fox doesn’t grant them the film rights to the Fantastic Four, but they could conniving enough to inhibit Constantin Films from making another movie without their say-so. If Disney controls distribution, Constantin would have no choice but to work with the Mouse House (and, by extension, Marvel Studios) on another Fantastic Four movie.

If you're Constantin Films, I don't see who else you'd have do your production other than Marvel at this point.  What would motivate them to use anyone other than Marvel?  (shrug)

Edited by fantastic_four

45 minutes ago, sd2416 said:

The title to the article is misleading.  After you read what he said it's not a slam dunk "no".

If Daniel Craig came back to James Bond (after all he said about the franchise) there's always a chance for Jackman to put on the claws.  I'll start a petition if I have to!!!

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
Still walking

40 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

The title to the article is misleading.  After you read what he said it's not a slam dunk "no".

If Daniel Craig came back to James Bond (after all he said about the franchise) there's always a chance for Jackman to put on the claws.  I'll start a petition if I have to!!!

Was thinking the same thing. Offering a massive payday if they return opens doors many times. And over two pictures, they could go RDJ-level with Jackman.

Money and fame are a great motivator...even more so when work becomes scarce for actors.  For the studios too.  There's so much great content from historic epic fights Marvel and any other licensor (is that a word?) would have to really hate money not to cooperate to bring these to comic fan's mighty dollars:

Wolverine vs Spider-man

Wolverine vs Captain America

Wolverine vs Hulk

Wolverine vs Punisher

Wolverine vs <insert other badass Disney owned character here>

Either-way, I hope it works out and though it would be nice to get the FF into the movies, I'm more interested in getting Silver Surfer and their villians: Galactus and Dr. Doom.  I always felt it was the complexity of the villians that drive the story and bring out the depth in the super heroes.  Nevertheless, it's an exciting time to be a fan!

Thursday?!

Disney's Acquisition Of Fox Is Expected To Be Made 100% Official This Thursday

CNBC reveals that Fox and Disney are on track to announce a merger this Thursday. That's much sooner than most of us expected (despite reports that talks have been going well) and while an exact amount still hasn't been revealed, it's thought that the company will be paying upwards of $60 billion for 21st Century Fox's television and movie studios. So, where do things go for Fox from here? That's not clear. 

What we do know is that it's going to take time and it's been said over the past few days that 20th Century Fox may continue to exist as a separate company just like Pixar, Marvel Entertainment, and Lucasfilm (albeit with Disney in charge). That could still lead to a reduction in Fox's output but there are two franchises they're very excited to get their hands on; those are obviously Avatar and X-Men. 

CNBC: Fox, Disney on 'glide path' for Thursday deal announcement: Sources

• 21st Century Fox and Disney are on track for a Thursday deal announcement, sources familiar with the deal said.
  • Comcast dropped out of the bidding for the majority of Fox assets on Monday.
  • The Fox 'Spin Co.' remaining would be worth approximately $10 a share, sources said.

Wow!

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

I'm not clear on what's happening with the Fox network.  If Disney gets all or most of its content, what exactly will Fox be airing?

I think it is all News and Sports. No other TV or movie production operations.

21 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:
2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I'm not clear on what's happening with the Fox network.  If Disney gets all or most of its content, what exactly will Fox be airing?

I think it is all News and Sports. No other TV or movie production operations.

All the articles say the Fox television network and its dozens of local affiliate stations around the country remain owned by Fox.  But with the Simpsons, Family Guy, and whatever else Disney gets gone, I haven't heard what they'll be showing.

Edited by fantastic_four

49 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

All the articles say the Fox television network and its dozens of local affiliate stations around the country remain owned by Fox.  But with the Simpsons, Family Guy, and whatever else Disney gets gone, I haven't heard what they'll be showing.

It is going to be interesting. And since they are hinting at Thursday, I guess we will learn the arrangement soon enough.

I give it a 90% chance Fantastic Four goes back to Marvel for production.  Whether or not Constantin Films maintains their license is irrelevant to fans and really only relevant to Disney's profit margin; it's clear that Marvel will give Constantin their best return, most likely FAR better than Fox ever did.