• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney/Fox Talks
3 3

731 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

They could always do a reverse house of M

No More Mutants”

I believe they were already planning to do this, as "No More Superheroes" at some point.  Wanda is definitely going to be big in phase 4.

With A4 having to rebuild the destroyed universe, it wont be hard to have x-men and FF be part of it.

I think they add them in slowly.  Do something like have Fassbender show up as Wanda's Father in a after credits stinger, etc.

Do the illuminati and have Charles and Reed meeting with them, etc

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

I thought Fox’s Wolverine was tamed a bit more than the comics so I can imagine Disney’s will be even tamer but we may at least see him in yellow and blue costume

@Logan510

I think they convince Jackman to play a multi-verse displaced Old Man Logan, (grab at the log scene from Logan), concurrent with a new young actor to play wolverine.  He can be a mentor, get the audience hyped, but not have to get in such shape, nor have to make such big time commitments to just do supporting cameo type roles.

8 minutes ago, CBT said:

Do something like have Fassbender show up as Wanda's Father in a after credits stinger, etc.

Just imagine after credits of A4, wanda back at home, looking sad cause Vision is gone, and turns to see Fassbender standing in the doorway.

"Dad?"

cut to black

THR: 'X-Men,' 'Fantastic Four' in Flux After Fox-Disney Deal

After the release of Avengers 4 in 2019, Marvel Studios' deals with some of its marquee actors are set to expire, including those of Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans, among others who have been around since the MCU’s big bang, and whose salaries have become astronomical. The inbound characters, whether in stand-alone movies or fancy crossovers, are bound to give an injection of freshness to the MCU and the comic book movie genre in general, but fans should know this wish fulfillment is a double-edged sword.

“If Disney is an NFL team, then every movie on the calendar is like a Heisman Trophy winner,” says one insider. “This raises the bar of what is a theatrical release.”

And while some execs are already relishing rebooting (and recasting) Wolverine, a Logan spinoff centering on Wolverine's daughter X-23 is likely not going to go far at this stage. Deadpool as an R-rated franchise seems safe for now, but Fox’s broader X-Men strategy, run by writer-producer Simon Kinberg, seems up in the air. 

“[Feige] is going to be asked, ‘Do you want to continues on these developments paths?’” says one executive.

And while Fox was in a position to take risks on movies like Deadpool and New Mutants, which is promising to be a darker and more horror-based take on the usual cape content. Disney is seen as more of a safe player. 

Indeed, comics author and former Marvel writer Mark Millar, who co-created Kingsman and Kick-, expressed concern about the future of Fox’s Marvel offering, tweeting Thursday: "A sequel to a $55M movie that made $800M is not a risk. My concern is that a gamble like Deadpool will not happen now. We'll see."

Looks like Wolverine may get some early attention.

6 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Why?

She's done a masterful job with the Star Wars franchise so far.

3 movies. 3 wins.

Han Solo might falter, given the director musical chairs, but I've got faith in her vision and Ron Howard's ability to execute.

Dangerous priorities, anyone pushing identity politics into entertainment needs to be perma-banned from life.

23 hours ago, Darkowl said:

To me, GOTG sticks out like a sore thumb (in a good way) from the rest of the superhero movies. Rocket has easily become one of my all time favorite characters because of it. Btw, Disney doesn't make theme park rides based off characters, movies, or themes that aren't memorable. 

"There are no stakes or drama, you KNOW the hero will prevail and be back for a sequel."

This is true for just about every single superhero movie ever made. It's THE superhero formula. 

True for sure. But stepping out of the formula could make a good movie an awesome movie. I think Disney is falling into the continuity trap, which will get even muddier now. There’s no reason you couldn’t have a stand alone Avengers movie where half the heroes die in a more realistic “war”  It’s just a story and it can be retold again however way a writer sees fit. Call it a What If saga

as I said I still enjoy the superhero movies, they just don’t stick with me. 

Unrelated: I like the new Spider-Man except for his Stark suit, he already has great powers, why would he need all those enhancements. You would think more Shield agents would have these suits or at least Black Widow and Hawkeye

2 hours ago, Chip Cataldo said:

Her job is to make money for Disney, and she's doing that. She's doing just fine. 

If you think having another star wars movie with the original cast reappearing, "making money", is due to her you are sadly mistaken.

Star Wars will always make lots of money.  But letting people with agendas run properties will always lead to quality and success limitations.  Anyone who thinks its important to check off a gender and race checklist, rather than make the best movie possible, is not someone who should be in charge.  The end result, regardless of the audience drawing power of the product (Star Wars), will always be less than it could have been. 

One of the reasons MCU has done so well is they have resisted the loonie left's pressures, and stuck to the original material for the most part, succumbing only on a few supporting characters.  Now, having successfully recreated the comics on the big screen, REAL diverse characters, true to their source material (black panther, captain marvel), can also succeed spectacularly.  While forced fake diversity attempts elsewhere continue to fail royally.

If Star Wars' relaunch of movies, solo films, and live action TV, does ever start to stagnate or falter, it will with certainty be because people like Kathleen Kennedy were focusing on agendas and politics, and not making the best product possible for the fans.

Edited by CBT

I'm not sure I understand your point about identity politics, at least with reference to TLJ.  Nobody changed the original characters to create a shakeup for diversity's sake.  With the next generation of stories, they've hired actors that reflect more of the human spectrum of their audience.  I'm not sure what it costs them narratively -- how does introducing a character like Rose prevent them making the 'best product possible'?  

Also, I do like the fact that in the SW universe no one really comments on a character's race, gender, or background too much (beyond the effects of one's parents).  The characters are revealed by what they say and do.  

But if your point is more about the movie's preachier moments, I get that -- subtlety is usually the best route in storytelling on that point.  Show us, don't tell us.

Dan

No surprise here when it comes to a merger of properties. But still sad going into the holidays.

The Disney-Fox Deal Could Lead To 5,000-10,000 Lost Jobs

disneyfoxfeature.jpg

According to a report from Rich Greenfield, an analyst with BTIG, this acquisition could very well lead to 5,000 to 10,000 lost jobs.

“Disney expects over $2 billion in synergies from the Fox acquisition, with the overwhelming majority of that from cost-savings–meaning job cuts. In order to reduce costs by upwards of $2 billion, we believe Disney will need to cut well-over 5,000 jobs and the number could easily swell toward 10,000 given the high degree of overlap between the two companies around the world.”

He isn’t the only one who is waving a red flag with this deal. While it could mean great things for geeks, there are still a lot of questionable economics on the whole thing. At the end of the day, it’s hard to shake the feeling that we may end up with an industry with fewer films, and less competition, which is never a good thing.

5 minutes ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

Funny how Trump has nothing bad to say about this merger considering how it’s his pal Ailes making the dough. 

yah, this thread is accelerating to forbidden territory of politics quickly.  You do know Ailes can't make money cause he is DEAD right?

The reason Disney/Fox isnt an anti-trust issue, is because they are leaving news and sports out of the deal, (Disney owns ABC), otherwise it would get blocked for sure. 

14 minutes ago, CBT said:

yah, this thread is accelerating to forbidden territory of politics quickly.  You do know Ailes can't make money cause he is DEAD right?

The reason Disney/Fox isnt an anti-trust issue, is because they are leaving news and sports out of the deal, (Disney owns ABC), otherwise it would get blocked for sure. 

I was thinking of Murdoch, Trump called to congratulate on his big deal. Imagine if Disney controlled Fox News, the internet would explode.