• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney/Fox Talks
3 3

731 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

I was thinking of Murdoch, Trump called to congratulate on his big deal. Imagine if Disney controlled Fox News, the internet would explode. 

politics is not allowed on this board, you are going to get this thread shut down. 

And, as I already said, there was never an attempt to include News and Sports in the US, as Disney already owns ABC, and such a deal would immediately be blocked on anti-trust laws.

Edited by CBT

11 minutes ago, CBT said:

politics is not allowed on this board, you are going to get this thread shut down. 

And, as I already said, there was never an attempt to include News and Sports in the US, as Disney already owns ABC, and such a deal would immediately be blocked on anti-trust laws.

Wasn’t it you talking about the “loonie left” 

I forgot big brother is watching,  no more politics. 

1 hour ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

Wasn’t it you talking about the “loonie left” 

I forgot big brother is watching,  no more politics. 

my reference was about not wanting politics injected into entertainment like Star Wars, which is a little different than where the discussion started to head.

but fair point nonetheless, and agreed.

On 12/15/2017 at 2:31 PM, Darkowl said:

I would be fooling myself If I thought that GOTG was not in my top 5 favorites, and yes, it is a "truly great" film. I realize that this is my own opinion.

I keep two separate lists in my head--my favorite superhero movies, and separately the ones I think are best.  That top five list I gave was the ones that are objectively best.  The two lists are similar but not the same; for example, the Daredevil movie is in my personal top ten list, but I recognize that it's got a ton of problems that place it into the bottom half of all superhero movies.  But most of the problems didn't diminish my enjoyment of one of my favorite characters on-screen, and the film had enough strong points--particularly the soundtrack, which is DEFINITELY a top five superhero film soundtrack if you were to rate the movies on just that facet alone--that I enjoy re-watching it.

14 hours ago, CBT said:
14 hours ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

Funny how Trump has nothing bad to say about this merger considering how it’s his pal Ailes making the dough. 

yah, this thread is accelerating to forbidden territory of politics quickly.  You do know Ailes can't make money cause he is DEAD right?

The reason Disney/Fox isnt an anti-trust issue, is because they are leaving news and sports out of the deal, (Disney owns ABC), otherwise it would get blocked for sure. 

When has ANY studio merger been blocked by the Department of Justice?  Big merges have happened plenty of times over the past century, but I can't recall any of them being blocked.  We're talking about entertainment here, not something functional like phone or Internet services that causes them to watch mergers in that arena far more closely.

16 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

At the end of the day, it’s hard to shake the feeling that we may end up with an industry with fewer films, and less competition, which is never a good thing.

But people are happy about the movies Disney can make for us comic fans. They are making 6 comic movies a year after this deal. All the characters will be appearing. Movies like new mutants or shows like Legion will still be made because why not. This is Disney and we comic fans deserves it. Chances like Deadpool and Logan will still be made because Disney likes taking chances especially when competing against itself in a market that is gettting more and more crowded

um NO

Edited by jsilverjanet

58 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

But people are happy about the movies Disney can make for us comic fans. They are making 6 comic movies a year after this deal. All the characters will be appearing. Movies like new mutants or shows like Legion will still be made because why not. This is Disney and we comic fans deserves it. Chances like Deadpool and Logan will still be made because Disney likes taking chances especially when competing against itself in a market that is gettting more and more crowded

um NO

I agree. If FOX and Sony were generally as good as Disney when it came to making superhero films, then I would have to agree with Bosco, but I honestly could not be happier about Disney taking ownership of X-Men, FF, and the rest.

On 12/15/2017 at 10:42 AM, fantastic_four said:

They did, but it's that luck that creates the best films, and I think that's his point and it's a valid one.  DC similarly lucked out with Christopher Nolan and the Dark Knight films, but letting a great director make a great movie is the path to the best success.  It's also the path to the stinkiest bombs of all time, too, when you put the wrong directors on a film, so it's a double-edged sword.  :eek:  I put the top 5 superhero films of all time as something similar to this list:

1. The Dark Knight
  2. Spider-Man 2
  3. Batman Begins
  4. Logan
  5. Iron Man

I'm less sure about #5 on that list because the villain in that movie is lame, but the first hour of that movie is absolutely scintillating and the top four are solidly thought through.  All four of those were the result of a great director being given the freedom to execute a fantastic vision, and Quicksilver's point about Marvel directors not being given that freedom means we may only see consistently fun, solid movies, but no truly great ones.  I'm not sure he's wrong, but I'm also not convinced it's right, either, and I think it's absolutely possible for a top 5 film to come out of Feige's stable.  Either way it's an interesting idea to contemplate as we watch the movies come out the next few years.

love this list but personally would slot in GOTG and have Logan & Cap:WS just outside the top 5

48 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

I agree. If FOX and Sony were generally as good as Disney when it came to making superhero films, then I would have to agree with Bosco, but I honestly could not be happier about Disney taking ownership of X-Men, FF, and the rest.

That was a quote from the article I posted about the 5,000-10,000 employee layoff that could occur to achieve the $2B savings Disney is projecting. That's always the easy executive fallback is take out people to achieve savings.

But as far as Fox/Marvel properties go, we shall see how Disney treats them. Fox finally found a sweet spot with standalone great movies not forcing a larger franchise. Add to this an R-Rating. Disney has not venture down this path to prove it can pull it off the same way. Not with Marvel superhero movies.

53 minutes ago, Georgie123 said:

I haven't read the whole thread but with the merger how does it affect my favorite comic book character Namur sub-mariner in the movies

Namor is still owned by Universal. 

Edited by Chip Cataldo

2 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:
31 minutes ago, Georgie123 said:

I haven't read the whole thread but with the merger how does it affect my favorite comic book character Namur sub-mariner in the movies

Namoris still owned by Universal. 

That's just distribution rights, isn't it?  I know with Hulk Universal has distribution rights but not production rights which is why Marvel is free to put Hulk in whatever movie they want, but Universal gets the distribution cut of standalone Hulk movies.

14 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

That was a quote from the article I posted about the 5,000-10,000 employee layoff that could occur to achieve the $2B savings Disney is projecting. That's always the easy executive fallback is take out people to achieve savings.

But as far as Fox/Marvel properties go, we shall see how Disney treats them. Fox finally found a sweet spot with standalone great movies not forcing a larger franchise. Add to this an R-Rating. Disney has not venture down this path to prove it can pull it off the same way. Not with Marvel superhero movies.

Hard to see Disney going the R route considering the success they have with kid friendly movies. It ain’t broke so milk it, milk it! Hopefully not true as I’d like to see more in the Logan vein. 

5 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

That's just distribution rights, isn't it?  I know with Hulk Universal has distribution rights but not production rights which is why Marvel is free to put Hulk in whatever movie they want, but Universal gets the distribution cut of standalone Hulk movies.

If only there was a thread that took to time to post all clarifying articles and references on each of these characters. If only.

:nyah:

23 hours ago, bane said:

Fixed

?

Kathleen Kennedy was promoted to President of Lucasfilm and brand manager of Star Wars in 2012 -- she is the architect of these movies -- far more responsible for their story and direction than any of the individual directors or writers so far.

In fact, she has far more control of the Star Wars films than Kevin Feige did over the MCU films so far.

As such, it was on her say-so that a) Josh Trank was fired from the Han Solo movie; and b) the rumored editing and re-shoots of Rogue One happened under Tony Gilroy rather than Gareth Edwards.

Congress Members Pushing For Hearings On Disney-Fox Deal

Some top congressional are calling for hearings to investigate whether the merger would violate antitrust laws. Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn), the ranking member of the Senate Judiciary antitrust subcommittee, stated that the transaction was “another industry-changing merger, which would have major implications in television, film, and other media. I’m concerned about the impact of this transaction on American Consumers.”

Klobuchar says that she has requested Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah), chair of the subcommittee, and Sen. Chuck Grassley, chair of the Judiciary Committee, to schedule hearings on the transaction, though none have been scheduled so far. Lee and Klobacher were quick to schedule similar hearings when the AT&T and Time Warner merger was announced in October 2016.

In the House of Representatives, Rep. David Cicilline (D-RI), the ranking member of the House Judiciary’s antitrust subcommittee, called on his colleagues to take a look at the deal as he believes the United States is at a “monopoly moment.”

“Disney’s proposed purchase of 21st Century Fox threatens to put control of TV, movie, and news content into the hands of a single media giant,” Cicilline said. “If it’s approved, this merger could allow Disney to limit what consumers can watch and increase their cable bills. Disney will gain more than 300 channels, 22 regional sports networks, control over Hulu, and a significant portion of Roku.”

Those are some strong points for why not to allow this big a media provider.

6 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Sorry for misquoting you. My mistake!

A lot of people are getting kinda tripped up about the Disney and R rating "conundrum", but honestly, we only have Deadpool going strong at the moment, and Im not sure If anything will be done about Logan. Point being, people seem to be treating the situation as If Disney has to handle R rated movies on a grand scale, when they are really just a dent in the grand scheme of things. Regardless, Disney is smart. They will figure it out. Btw, The problem with Foxes sweet spot is that it was so short lived, we really have no idea how long they could have sustained it. When it comes to a good thing, Its much easier to be enchanted by perpetuation than termination.