• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some thoughts on the cover of X-Men 1
4 4

84 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

I’ve always wondered where this fight was taking place in order for Beast to have that strategically placed swing available from which to mount his attack...

Professor X in a helicopter, out of picture, dropping The Beast down on a swing?

23 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

While I do find the comments humorous, I love the cover and I think it is brilliant.
In one quick glance, Kirby is able to communicate all the essential elements of the new superhero team.  The major characters, sans the Professor, are there and their powers clearly displayed (other than Marvel Girl - I've often wondered if that was an edit - there's space in the white background to show the wavy lines that Kirby often used to delineate her powers).  The main villain and his powers are also clearly shown.
All of this could have been taken in by the reader with a quick glance while perusing the magazine rack.  The cover art was not meant to be a pinup with thoughts of after-market art resale value, its primary purpose was to clearly and concisely communicate character and story while enticing the reader into buying the issue.  It admirably performs those objectives. 

I'd never actually thought about any of the issues pointed out by the OP before joining the boards and seeing other threads like this one.

More interested in reading the contents.  On that basis, the cover works well enough.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

I’ve always wondered where this fight was taking place in order for Beast to have that strategically placed swing available from which to mount his attack...

It's at one of the millions of places in the world where there's a pure white background with no color variation or shadows.

I've never liked that cover as much as I wanted to. X-men 12 is a similar composition but much better IMO.

Edited by Greenlake

24 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

While I do find the comments humorous, I love the cover and I think it is brilliant.
In one quick glance, Kirby is able to communicate all the essential elements of the new superhero team.  The major characters, sans the Professor, are there and their powers clearly displayed (other than Marvel Girl - I've often wondered if that was an edit - there's space in the white background to show the wavy lines that Kirby often used to delineate her powers).  The main villain and his powers are also clearly shown.
All of this could have been taken in by the reader with a quick glance while perusing the magazine rack.  The cover art was not meant to be a pinup with thoughts of after-market art resale value, its primary purpose was to clearly and concisely communicate character and story while enticing the reader into buying the issue.  It admirably performs those objectives. 

:applause:

44 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

Nothing turns me off to someone's opinions on X-Men faster than calling Cyclops a richard.  The Professor was the jerk in the Silver Age, then Wolverine until they fleshed him out with Alpha Flight.

Cyclops was always my favorite X-Man growing up (shrug)