• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artist / gallery editions actual size OA book thread

15 posts in this topic

I looked around for a thread about these and couldn't find one.  Sorry if there already is, pls point me in that direction.

My family loves getting me one of these for Christmas and I was going to say get the G.I.Joe one, but it looks like it's been canceled??

That's a bummer..  I really like these books and would love to read more about them if anyone has some opinions. 

I have the Frank Miller Daredevil, Dark Knight, and Marvel classic cover ones.

I have about 20; My top 5 are:

Don Rosa life and times of Scrooge McDuck

Wally Wood

Jack Kirby Thor

Stan Sakai Usagi Yojimbo book 1

Al Williamson Empire Strikes Back

The Frank Miller Ronin and Steranko Nick Fury are my honorable mentions. Graham Ingels and Bernie Wrightson Swamp Thing are on my wish list

there is a thread in this forum re: artist editions but i cant find it at the moment. Theres also another forum that discusses artist editions here:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/marvelmasterworksfansite/artist-editions-discussion-thread-idw-dark-horse-e-t19964.html#.WOMTIpFHaf1

Excellent read on the SIN CITY AE:

http://www.printmag.com/comics-and-animation/sin-city-collectors-edition/

And I imagine, a peek behind the scenes for most AEs in general.

I also had a chat with Scott Dunbier on my podcast:

http://felixcomicart.libsyn.com/the-felix-comic-art-podcast-episode-6-scott-dunbier

We actually discuss AEs quite a bit throughout various episodes...needless to say, I'm also a huge fan!

I have a bunch as well. 

I think the Wally Wood and the Born Again ones are my favorites. But I've got about ten of them in a logjam close behind.

The Byrne FF one and the two EC volumes are ones I find myself revisiting quite a bit

I've got a few including the first Simonson Thor, the Born Again, and the Kirby Fourth World. Recently picked up the Samnee Daredevil one, which was really cool. I like the details they throw in to some of the editions as one-offs, like -script companions for the Samnee Daredevil edition, and the braille in the Born Again one along with some of the recreated vellum overlays. 

Also the Kirby Fourth World one is gigantic. 

On 12/5/2017 at 6:36 PM, Knightsofold said:

I looked around for a thread about these and couldn't find one.  Sorry if there already is, pls point me in that direction.

My family loves getting me one of these for Christmas and I was going to say get the G.I.Joe one, but it looks like it's been canceled??

That's a bummer..  I really like these books and would love to read more about them if anyone has some opinions. 

I have the Frank Miller Daredevil, Dark Knight, and Marvel classic cover ones.

Someone in the GI Joe thread told me it might have been cancelled. It's sad to see that quote. I was looking forward to that one. I don't know what he means when he talks about orders. I've never pre-ordered these Artist Editions. I just see talk about them, usually in the monthly previews and get them when they are released. I think a few of the early ones were fairly low runs too. And some aren't flying off the shelves. Surely they could have made the GI Joe Artist Edition for us fans.

I have the Rocketeer, Gil Kane Spider-Man I think the first one, and recent Wrightson ones. Also the Vampirella one which is the same but by a different company.

I've got the Kirby FF books, the Romita Spideys, and the Miller DD's.  All good stuff.  I'd like to get the Simonson Thor volumes and the Steranko.  My fave so far is the Mark Schultz Xenozoic Tales...the art looks amazing at 14x20".

IMG_0114.JPG

Edited by The Shoveler
replacing with a slightly better pic

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:33 PM, GeneticNinja said:

Someone in the GI Joe thread told me it might have been cancelled. It's sad to see that quote. I was looking forward to that one. I don't know what he means when he talks about orders. I've never pre-ordered these Artist Editions. I just see talk about them, usually in the monthly previews and get them when they are released. I think a few of the early ones were fairly low runs too. And some aren't flying off the shelves. Surely they could have made the GI Joe Artist Edition for us fans.

I have the Rocketeer, Gil Kane Spider-Man I think the first one, and recent Wrightson ones. Also the Vampirella one which is the same but by a different company.

The solicitation is done through Diamond.  They first solicit orders from dealers through Diamond before they set the print run.  I think in general, the orders for AEs has softened as many collectors buy them at conventions or order direct.  I'm sure if you could get enough other fans to join you (via Kickstarter or some other method), that may be cause to reconsider.  I'd also love to see it made. 

On 12/11/2017 at 11:22 AM, comiconxion said:

The solicitation is done through Diamond.  They first solicit orders from dealers through Diamond before they set the print run.  I think in general, the orders for AEs has softened as many collectors buy them at conventions or order direct.  I'm sure if you could get enough other fans to join you (via Kickstarter or some other method), that may be cause to reconsider.  I'd also love to see it made. 

Dealers meaning normal and online comic shops? I know I see Midtown Comics saying I can pre-order items from the Diamond catalog for cheaper. I never do as I've never pre-ordered stuff that far in advance that I can remember. Plus I remember the days when comics were always late.

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

Quite excited by this:

http://comicbuzz.com/dark-horse-to-debut-lone-wolf-and-cub-gallery-edition/

I've talked about this before, but manga art is primarily held by the publisher. Given DH's relationship with Koike/Studio Ship, this was a natural. Can't wait to get it.

considering that the full story is thousands of pages, I wonder which story they will published, because I assume it won't be everything.

Malvin

I'll pick this up. Dark Horse have been reprinting the Usagi Yojimbo books in deluxe hardcovers (not oversized unfortunately, not exactly an 'artist edition') and have printed... I think 7 books at this point. It'd be nice to see this go a similar route but I'm not holding out hope on that.