• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Forgotten photos. Random stuff from a lost file...
3 3

348 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

And to quote Winston Churchill..."Never, never, never sell comic books..."  :smile:

"We shall read them on the beaches...."

3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Never has Bedrock given up so many comics for so few pieces of gold. 

"Without comics, all other virtues lose their meaning"

3 hours ago, tabcom said:

"Man, I wish I had this batch back!"

Every time I hear that lament, it reinforces my new motto, "Don't sell".

You can sell as long as you are trading up with your profits. 

On 12/20/2017 at 3:56 PM, MrBedrock said:

The two guys in the bottom picture are Roy Bonario (seated), who opened the first comic store in Houston - Roy's Memory Shop, and Drew Caldwell (standing with Superman 2), a local collector. Roy is in his mid 80s now and sells stuff at a local flea market and on eBay. He is the center of the monthly "old guys" get-togethers and still travels to OKC for OAF-Con. Drew comes in to the shop from time to time. He now buys old 35mm movies and shows them at area theaters but doesn't collect comics much anymore.

This store receipt is a relic from Houston Comicdom...

IMG_20180324_184239~2.jpg

5a3ad1a8ad8c8_Comicconvention1979Superman-2.jpg.9977483313de18b4f358e39f465c386e.jpg

Back in the early 70's I picked up this copy of All in Color for a Dime from the mall bookstore; Walden's back then I think. I remember learning so much from this book at the time and reading each chapter with gusto. Last weekend they had a paperback show in Glendale, CA and Richard Lupoff was there signing so I brought my book over for a quick signature. The show is great and very casual with lots of interesting material and prices that are quite reasonable. I managed to pick up a copy of Help magazine from the early sixties too!

tn_AICFDCover.jpg

tn_AICFDSignatureLupoff.jpg

tn_Help.jpg

3 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Back in the early 70's I picked up this copy of All in Color for a Dime from the mall bookstore; Walden's back then I think. I remember learning so much from this book at the time and reading each chapter with gusto. Last weekend they had a paperback show in Glendale, CA and Richard Lupoff was there signing so I brought my book over for a quick signature. The show is great and very casual with lots of interesting material and prices that are quite reasonable. I managed to pick up a copy of Help magazine from the early sixties too!

tn_AICFDCover.jpg

tn_AICFDSignatureLupoff.jpg

tn_Help.jpg

Good to know that Lupoff is still around.  

7 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Do you by any chance remember which books that was the receipt for?

Not exactly...The receipt was found in-between the front cover & first page of an Uncanny X-Men book that was just one of nearly a couple dozen each, of three different issues in an old comic distributor box...issue 140, 141, & 142...

A friend of mine used to work for Roy & would often received store credit as payment. Although, he would also buy whatever he wanted, like nearly two dozen copies of Marvel and DC present the X-Men and the Teen Titans...

Most likely, 'Uncle' Roy, or whomever rang up the sale, did not input single issues but rather grouped them together. The math would have been easy with 50¢ cover prices...

2 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

1971 / 1973 Seuling Comic Con

I saw this link to Alan Light's 8MM film of these Seuling Cons last night and thought I would share. Man did this bring back some memories. I remember the Hotel Commodore Ballroom like it was yesterday!

I remember that guy with the silly "sailor" hat. Wasn't he Murray Bishoff from the Buyer's Guide? I also remember un-bagged GA books under a large sheet of clear plastic. I also remember large un-bagged piles of Atlas and other pre-code horror for a buck a piece. Condition didn't matter although, I got a lot of pretty nice ones. Very casual and innocent times...

On 4/10/2018 at 1:59 PM, Robot Man said:

I remember that guy with the silly "sailor" hat. Wasn't he Murray Bishoff from the Buyer's Guide? I also remember un-bagged GA books under a large sheet of clear plastic. I also remember large un-bagged piles of Atlas and other pre-code horror for a buck a piece. Condition didn't matter although, I got a lot of pretty nice ones. Very casual and innocent times...

Yes that was Murray Bishoff. Funny but I also remember the un-bagged books under the thick plastic. I believe that was because of thefts and people running off with hundred dollar books. New York in the early seventies was no picnic and crime was always at hand. I also remember box after box of GA gems for a buck each and nice fifties comics for fifty cents with sixties comics for maybe a quarter. I used to bring $20. to these show and stuff a valise full of duck four colors.

My avatar was a great buy at one of these shows. The 256 pager Peter Pan Treasure Chest; supposedly a file copy for $20. A keeper!

1 hour ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

My avatar was a great buy at one of these shows. The 256 pager Peter Pan Treasure Chest; supposedly a file copy for $20. A keeper!

It would be nice to see a scan/picture of it. :foryou: