• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Forgotten photos. Random stuff from a lost file...
3 3

348 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:
2 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

My avatar was a great buy at one of these shows. The 256 pager Peter Pan Treasure Chest; supposedly a file copy for $20. A keeper!

It would be nice to see a scan/picture of it. :foryou:

+1

Then in the late seventies the Seuling show moved to Philadelphia which was fun. It was there that this next book claiming to be a file copy appeared and I picked up for probably $10 or so. After that I didn't see many but I was also off to college and starting work in the eighties and wasn't too deep into the comics world that decade.

tn_WDCS1101.jpg

45 minutes ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Well I've posted this before but her it is again. This was probably purchased at the 1977 or 1978 Seuling con for I believe $20; though I may have bargained to $15. It was the first time I bought something claimed to be a file copy. I don't know if it is but it certainly appeared unread. I've been tempted to slab it but it has a great splash panel that would be lost to time if I did slab it. Great book.

tn_PPTT1.jpg

So did I miss you post the splash page or was that an intentional cliffhanger? (shrug)

4 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Well I've posted this before but her it is again. This was probably purchased at the 1977 or 1978 Seuling con for I believe $20; though I may have bargained to $15. It was the first time I bought something claimed to be a file copy. I don't know if it is but it certainly appeared unread. I've been tempted to slab it but it has a great splash panel that would be lost to time if I did slab it. Great book.

tn_PPTT1.jpg

Well now we need a picture of the splash panel. :foryou:

(Didn't see your reply above but leaving this so that you know others would like to see the panel. :) ))  

Edited by Badger

On 4/12/2018 at 12:48 PM, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I also remember the un-bagged books under the thick plastic. I believe that was because of thefts and people running off with hundred dollar books. New York in the early seventies was no picnic and crime was always at hand.

The clear plastic display method was prevalent at the early Houston shows as well. I vividly remember standing in front a table at a 1973 Houston mini con at the old Royal Coach Inn staring at a stack of Mystics and Daring Mysterys under plastic, thinking "someday I will have some of those".

26 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

The clear plastic display method was prevalent at the early Houston shows as well. I vividly remember standing in front a table at a 1973 Houston mini con at the old Royal Coach Inn staring at a stack of Mystics and Daring Mysterys under plastic, thinking "someday I will have some of those".

I wouldn't think you were all enough to reach the table then. Oh, that's right you ARE the tall Texan...:baiting:

3 minutes ago, Robot Man said:
32 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I wouldn't think you were all enough to reach the table then. Oh, that's right you ARE the tall Texan...:baiting:

I can remember looking at those books but I can't remember how tall I was as a ten year old. One of my teachers called me "Slim", a pretty good tall kid nickname.

3 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

staring at a stack of Mystics and Daring Mysterys under plastic, thinking "someday I will have some of those".

And now you do, only they are wrapped in the plastic rather than just under it.

On 3/20/2018 at 7:29 AM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Found a couple forgotten things recently.  The first is a copy of the Dec. 1973 Houston Comic Collectors Association Newsletter, given to me by my late-friend Willie Patterson.  Bedrock knew Willie, and should know what this club was.  The 2nd item is a postcard from someone named Barry Bauman who lived in Oakland in 1967.  Does anyone know who he was/is?  He was offering me 3 Superman comics.  I do not remember contacting him, or how I might have met him.  I do know that I did not buy the issues due to a lack of funds at the time (I was only 14).  I know this because when I did buy those issues 25 years later they cost a lot more than $10, $7, and $7...

39110664270_ca14da21af_c.jpg

40920302251_d94f86303a_c.jpg

Wow, Barry Bauman! I only know the name because a friend of mine who was a kid in Oakland in the 60s wrote a great essay about 1960s comic collecting for an adult education class he was taking. Barry had the upstairs attic room in his parents' house with maybe 10,000 40s and 50s comics. His secret source was the Holmes Book company, a multi level downtown bookstore in Oakland that dated to the 1890s, I believe.

I believe Barry got out of comics by the early 70s and died very young, possibly a car crash. (If anything in the articles contradicts this, go with the articles.)

51 minutes ago, HouseofComics.Com said:

Wow, Barry Bauman! I only know the name because a friend of mine who was a kid in Oakland in the 60s wrote a great essay about 1960s comic collecting for an adult education class he was taking. Barry had the upstairs attic room in his parents' house with maybe 10,000 40s and 50s comics. His secret source was the Holmes Book company, a multi level downtown bookstore in Oakland that dated to the 1890s, I believe.

I believe Barry got out of comics by the early 70s and died very young, possibly a car crash. (If anything in the articles contradicts this, go with the articles.)

It turns out Mitch knew Barry Baumann.  Link to post from about 7 years ago.  BTW 40years, those are some great Disney comics you have!  (thumbsu

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/220978-who-is-the-smartest-comic-book-collector-you-have-ever-known-and-why-by-mm/

Ah here we go.  Some Fiction House from a collection I picked up maybe 7 years ago.

The B&W were 1950's S&M stuff.  Craziest thing I think I've ever had.

006.JPG.b6d0665207a70522d40325c525b9930e.JPG002a.JPG.60e3a272ea5d2714e12a41e3d4802881.JPG005.JPG.d8df1681896afe17c4e3f0276cee1dce.JPG