• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

On 10/8/2021 at 7:43 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Whereas in that same time period (2010-present) we've had a lot of really good superhero films from that other company. Namely:

• The Avengers
  • Iron Man 3
  • Winter Soldier
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Black Panther
  • Avengers: Infinity War

That’s a great list there except for Iron Man 3 which stands out like a box of Walmart wine in Tuscany. 

On 10/9/2021 at 2:56 PM, Oddball said:

That’s a great list there except for Iron Man 3 which stands out like a box of Walmart wine in Tuscany. 

It truly is the wild outlier of a great list. But at least he is consistent with the love of this 'fine film'.

i was surprised how bad this movie was, at leat the first 30 minutes. from the start, it does not seem to know what tone it means to have. it appears to be setting up to be a BOURNE type suspense thriller. then Nat battles what appears to be a robot. hm. shades of ultron without a personality. very boring character and a boring fight as well. then she battles, with weapons, and apparently meaning to kill her sister? florence pugh is a good actress but perhaps not one that i buy as a physically intimidating assassin. yet another super boring fight and a ridiculous one since they end up talking normally after trying to kill each other. two boring and ridiiculous fights were enough for me. 

i just could not find a reason to keep watching. i dont usually have that issue with marvel films. a film should suck you in, but this one spit me out. if it gets better later, good. but i'm not watching any more of it. 

The hope was to like the film so that Tupenny could post high praise for it & contradict his history of ridicule & gloomy predictions. That’d have been a classic Tupenny move. Sadly, the film deserves ridicule, as gloomily predicted. While watching it last night, it treated me to yet one more massive cartoon set-piece climax, wherein there was no sense of danger & even less sense of spectacle. These CGI catastrophes make me want to nap or go for popcorn maybe take a leak or step out for a smoke. The surprise positives were the relative unknowns or newcomers, Ray Winstone & Florence Pugh. Thank goodness we didn’t get a mustache twirling hambone villain, like say, Woody Harrelson. Pugh was convincing, funny, & attractive. The MCU has done a pretty good job hiring fresh talent, like Hemsworth or even Evans [btw, Even Evans – great 1950’s country music star]. Where it failed was SJ. During the key family dinner scene, all actors were believable but for SJ. She shouldn’t be BW. This movie shouldn’t have been made. I suppose it was made to satisfy a contractual obligation to SJ, or perhaps to feed the need for a female led feature & a villain motivated by misogyny.

My gf's comments: 1. It was bad.  2. Don't let it bother you. 3. Did you see all those buttshots? It was full of buttshots!    

On 10/11/2021 at 7:58 AM, TupennyConan said:

My gf's comments: 1. It was bad.  2. Don't let it bother you. 3. Did you see all those buttshots? It was full of buttshots!    

i did notice all the buttshots! and even those couldn't save this movie! 

Watched it again. It was fine--probably closer to the bottom than the top of the MCU, but that's more a reflection of the overall quality of the MCU than the lack of quality of Black Widow. I'd rank it ahead of Iron Mans 2 and 3, Thors 1 and 2, Hulk, and Age of Ultron, and narrowly behind Captain Marvel and the two Ant-Mans.

On 10/11/2021 at 12:10 PM, Bosco685 said:

Turn in your MCU Membership Card please

:baiting:

Haha, didn't realize it was particularly controversial to have those films near the bottom and the Ant-Man movies in the middle. But hey, my motto when it comes to the MCU is everyone can enjoy what they enjoy.

On 10/11/2021 at 12:38 PM, bpc3qh said:

Haha, didn't realize it was particularly controversial to have those films near the bottom and the Ant-Man movies in the middle. But hey, my motto when it comes to the MCU is everyone can enjoy what they enjoy.

Just kidding with you.

But no way does this movie approach Thor (2011) for me. Nor the comedy/action of Ant-Man. But it is cool it worked for you.

On 10/11/2021 at 2:00 PM, Bosco685 said:

But no way does this movie approach Thor (2011) for me. Nor the comedy/action of Ant-Man. But it is cool it worked for you.

Thor just doesn't do it for me; the mix of serious/humor is off. I also liked Ant-Man more than this one; I may not have made that clear.

On 10/11/2021 at 2:10 PM, bpc3qh said:

Thor just doesn't do it for me; the mix of serious/humor is off. I also liked Ant-Man more than this one; I may not have made that clear.

I had such a great time with Thor (2011) and the Ant-Man movies too. Like you noted, a sprinkle of a little of everything though throughout the MCU.

But this BW movie was such an extended hand-off commercial with filler stories to keep it floating. I was disappointed. Verily! 

On 10/11/2021 at 6:36 PM, bpc3qh said:

Watched it again. It was fine--probably closer to the bottom than the top of the MCU, but that's more a reflection of the overall quality of the MCU than the lack of quality of Black Widow. I'd rank it ahead of Iron Mans 2 and 3, Thors 1 and 2, Hulk, and Age of Ultron, and narrowly behind Captain Marvel and the two Ant-Mans.

Whoa, how about WAY ahead of Iron Man 3 and Captain Marvel. Both Ant-Man movies were at least more fun to watch than BW. Hulk was a bad movie but the action scenes more than make up for it. On a positive note, I didn’t hate this movie. I think there was a lot of potential there but it lost its footing for whatever reason. I could watch BW again.