• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink 2018 Show 'em if you got 'em
13 13

897 posts in this topic

On 6/27/2018 at 8:42 PM, DavidTheDavid said:

Why does this go for so much? 

Cover itself is kind of ugly. 

01258952398000081392153002_TH.jpg

Beats the fk out of me, I wouldn't have it given and if I did it would soon be flipped, it's  horrible. Is her powers having a big fist or something?

Ugh - bought a couple nice books but now I’m getting tired and these stupid auctions go until midnight EST.  Tomorrow - tomorrow there is always tomorrow.

42 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Ugh - bought a couple nice books but now I’m getting tired and these stupid auctions go until midnight EST.  Tomorrow - tomorrow there is always tomorrow.

Ya, I don’t like the late hour. But the items I’m chasing end Thursday. Tonight I cal sleep peacefully. :)

9 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Probably overpaid for this one, but I could never resist the bad girls. :x

00129281675000111494082005.jpg

Great book, and congratulations!

When I see a cover like this I just can't get over how corny the added dialogue / thought balloons are.  DC silver age books seem particularly notorious for really poorly written copy that diminishes the impact of the art.  Take that thought balloon off the cover entirely, and it instantly becomes ten times as compelling.  2c :preach:

But I say this knowing that we love what we love *because* of these things.  :)

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Great book, and congratulations!

When I see a cover like this I just can't get over how corny the added dialogue / thought balloons are.  DC silver age books seem particularly notorious for really poorly written copy that diminishes the impact of the art.  Take that thought balloon off the cover entirely, and it instantly becomes ten times as compelling.  2c :preach:

But I say this knowing that we love what we love *because* of these things.  :)

Yes, classic DC cover dialogue - AKA completely overstating the obvious . It wouldn't have been the Silver Age without it.

Batman #160

1 hour ago, Black_Adam said:

Yes, classic DC cover dialogue - AKA completely overstating the obvious . It wouldn't have been the Silver Age without it.

Batman #160

Right, exactly.  I imagine it has to be a simple matter of making an editorial decision that the audience is composed largely of children who need all that extra exposition to understand what's going on.

I'm certainly biased as a guy who collects Marvel almost exclusively, but as goofy and corny as Marvel could get, Stan Lee really was aiming it at an older audience since before they even got into the super-hero business.  And they were pretty explicit in using that as a differentiator / selling point.  I mean, how sophisticated could this book's contents really be?  But it deliberately gives you an image with no captions (even though the implied protagonist is a child) and of course it brags that it's THE MAGAZINE THAT RESPECTS YOUR INTELLIGENCE.

Image result for the magazine that respects your intelligence

Classic stuff all around.  (thumbsu

29 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Right, exactly.  I imagine it has to be a simple matter of making an editorial decision that the audience is composed largely of children who need all that extra exposition to understand what's going on.

I'm certainly biased as a guy who collects Marvel almost exclusively, but as goofy and corny as Marvel could get, Stan Lee really was aiming it at an older audience since before they even got into the super-hero business.  And they were pretty explicit in using that as a differentiator / selling point.  I mean, how sophisticated could this book's contents really be?  But it deliberately gives you an image with no captions (even though the implied protagonist is a child) and of course it brags that it's THE MAGAZINE THAT RESPECTS YOUR INTELLIGENCE.

Classic stuff all around.  (thumbsu

Completely agree. But DC obviously came to their senses soon after as evidenced by the classic Batman 189 cover two posts above! (worship)

32 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Completely agree. But DC obviously came to their senses soon after as evidenced by the classic Batman 189 cover two posts above! (worship)

Agreed, that's a great cover.  I know very little about Batman books but at first glance I thought it might even be Neal Adams.

Going to bid on 2 books tonight / tomorrow, what does shipping usually cost ? Address in the US, and what is the usual time books get shipped out after payment ? I know there has been talk books taking a long time and shipping being ridiculous expensive 

8 minutes ago, Jking3437 said:

Going to bid on 2 books tonight / tomorrow, what does shipping usually cost ? Address in the US, and what is the usual time books get shipped out after payment ? I know there has been talk books taking a long time and shipping being ridiculous expensive 

It’s $20 for up to 4 or 5 books in the US (can’t remember the cutoff they use, and I think it just goes to $25 with that next book). It can take a while, especially if you pay by check, but if you finish bidding early and check out before the auction closes it should get you ahead in the queue. 

Edited by mysterio