• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVATAR 2 THE WAY OF WATER starring Sam Worthington (2022)
2 2

832 posts in this topic

Avatar: The Way of Water beat estimates over the four-day New Year’s holiday weekend at the box office to rise past $1.4+ billion at the global box office. The film should hit $1.5 billion sometime on Tuesday, topping Top Gun: Maverick as the highest-grossing release of 2022.

On 1/4/2023 at 1:31 PM, paperheart said:

$670-870M lol, that' nailing it down. what happened to $490-540M?

Not to worry. He provided that explanation. Industry reporting sites were using Rogue One as their comparison model (including Luiz). But at this point, Avatar 2 keep blowing past estimates.

Luizie_Avatar.PNG.a1d67a45ec8d23d2f99afc92ec5945ba.PNG

I think a few other members here were using Rogue One as the model. But with this current box office, Avatar 2 has surprisingly blown past this reference point.

Rogue_One01.PNG.7cfb7a1730a73d4f9736f08b3eacc1de.PNG

On 1/4/2023 at 3:11 PM, Bosco685 said:

$6.2M away from matching Top Gun: Maverick's worldwide box office as of 1/3's data. I never would have guessed this.

2022_Top3.thumb.PNG.1011969cf34384296fe0eacbc957994e.PNG

I would not have guessed, but at the same time it makes sense.  Domestically, it seems to be tracking similar to TGM, but far outperforming it internationally.  TGM internationally suffers somewhat from being very USA centric in theme and patriotism.   In some markets, this likely hindered the film.  Avatar has no such issue. 

On 1/4/2023 at 4:36 PM, drotto said:

I would not have guessed, but at the same time it makes sense.  Domestically, it seems to be tracking similar to TGM, but far outperforming it internationally.  TGM internationally suffers somewhat from being very USA centric in theme and patriotism.   In some markets, this likely hindered the film.  Avatar has no such issue. 

Agreed! Anyone would have expected a USA military movie to not go over so well in key box office countries.

None of that plays into Avatar 2.

After just 22 days in theaters, “Avatar: The Way of Water” has raked in $1.5 billion globally, overtaking “Top Gun: Maverick” to stand as the 10th-highest grossing movie in history.

The film’s stellar turnout — driven by repeat customers, Imax prices and top-notch audience scores — is necessary, and not only in providing a lifeline to beleaguered theater owners. Since Disney, which holds the rights to “Avatar” after acquiring 20th Century Fox in 2019, spent $350 million to make “Avatar” and $100 million more to market the grand return to Pandora, Cameron suggested the film needed to gross $2 billion globally to become financially successful. Plus, he’s already planning to make three more sequels.

Already, the stretch between Christmas and New Year’s proved lucrative, reaffirming the public’s affinity for the Na’vi. Now that “The Way of Water has demonstrated its staying power, insiders believe the aquatic action adventure is going to generate a minimum of $1.825 billion. Moreover, it has a real shot at crossing $2 billion worldwide, a nearly impossible benchmark in COVID times. Even “Spider-Man: No Way Home,” which became a sensation at the end of 2021, fell just shy with a still-staggering $1.9 billion.

@drotto In Cameron's own words in an interview that was conducted earlier this week.

This week's episode of Who's Talking to Chris Wallace? Featured the legendary filmmaker on HBO Max and CNN. In the conversation, the idea of that lofty $2 billion target for The Way of Water came up. While the movie might not earn all of that, it's far exceeded any understandable expectation at the box office. So, that means Avatar 3 and 4 roll forward. Cameron has already filmed the third installment and shared that some of 4 is in the can too. But, he's going to be more than a little busy moving forward.

"It looks like just with the momentum that the film has now that it will easily pass our breakeven in the next few days, actually, so it looks like I can't wiggle out of this. I'm gonna have to do these other sequels," Cameron admitted. "And I'm sure that we'll have a discussion soon, you know, with with the top folks that Disney about, you know, the game plan going forward for Avatar 3, which is already in the can we've already captured and photographed the whole film. And then Avatar 4 and 5 are both written. We even have some of Avatar 4 in the can. So you know, I think we can see that that I think we've begun a franchise at this point."

No Cameron whisper necessary. :gossip:

On 1/6/2023 at 7:06 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Are Martin Scorsese and Francis Ford Coppola happy now that "real cinema" like Avatar Way of Water and Top Gun Maverick are taking over movie theaters?

maybe there's something to be said about letting a franchise gestate rather than having another installment jammed down your throat every 30 seconds; Phase IV was a near complete artistic and commercial failure