• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVATAR 2 THE WAY OF WATER starring Sam Worthington (2022)
2 2

832 posts in this topic

WEDNESDAY UPDATE: James Cameron’s Avatar: The Way of Water has now officially overtaken Spider-Man: No Way Home to become the No. 6 biggest film ever worldwide, as was presaged over the past few days (see below). It is now expected to hit the $2B global benchmark with this coming weekend included. 

On Tuesday, the epic sci-fi adventure added another $12M globally, bringing its worldwide cume through yesterday to $1.928B, and in so doing, topping Spider-Man: No Way Home‘s $1.921B (it bears noting that No Way Home did not release in China during a long period in which films featuring a Marvel character were seemingly unofficially banned; that ban appears to be lifting as we reported on Tuesday).

Regardless, when Avatar: The Way of Water crosses $2B, likely on Saturday or Sunday, it will become the sixth movie ever to the milestone, as well as Cameron’s third alongside Titanic and the original Avatar. 

Overseas, WoW currently sits as the No. 5 all-time biggest title, behind Avengers: Infinity War, and is likely to move up a spot on that chart with the coming FSS session. 

The international box office cume to date is $1.354B. The 20th Century Studios/Disney sequel picked up a further $9.2M offshore on Tuesday. 

Edited by Bosco685

On 12/17/2022 at 1:46 PM, Axelrod said:

The story of this movie was never going to be the opening weekend.  Like Top Gun Maverick, it's all going to be about the legs (or lack thereof as the case may be)

Bingo!

Top10_Avatar2.thumb.PNG.1406fcb6fd763676f2c421ef34c6931f.PNG

On 12/21/2022 at 7:11 PM, Axelrod said:

Finally saw this.  And my reaction is, it was fine.  

I enjoyed it.  It looked good.  The water/aquatic stuff was at least a little different from the first movie.  

But, this is not a movie that demands to be seen again.  Not in the same way the first one did, because the visual impact was so much greater and more novel then.  The effects in this movie are mostly of the same variety that people are now very used to.  I read how they had to invent new technologies for the underwater scenes, but even if that's true, they didn't stand out like "omg, this is something we have never seen before," regardless of how hard they might have been to actually do.

Don't get me wrong, it looked quite good, but not that much different from the 1st one.  

And the plot was the weakest part for me.  Definitely felt a little paint-by-numbers.  And just not all that significant?  I know they already shot the next one, so maybe this one is just suffering from middle child syndrome.  More set up than pay off in many ways.  

Call it a B?  I guess?  

Had to go back a few pages to see some reviews and this one is closest to how I felt. 

Saw it yesterday, alone and honestly glad I didn't take the kids. Enjoyed the first one, and saw this one in 3D. 

Pros - as stated, visually stunning, not as impactful as the first one being so revolutionary but still amazing to see. Story - both a pro and a con. Yes family is important and glad to see the evolution and progression. 

Cons - here's where it goes and the initial feeling is, not a desire to own it or really see again. Much too long. Glad I didn't bring the kids as 3+ hours would have had them squirming in their seats. We made it through Wakanda Forever but that was a bit tough at the end. This one could have had a lot cut. For me also, it's the escapism that really draws me to movies. Yes this was on an alien world but trying to hit you over the head with the issues of our blue planet and move to Pandora, was fine in the first one but didn't need to be so repeated and in my opinion escalated in this one. 3+ hours of humans are greedy/bad got old. As for Jake and family, leaving your forest people to "protect them" and then to endanger the water people had me internally commenting on that. Yes there are bad corporations out there. Yes there are bad elements of the military out there. But not all. Hopefully they can move on from the same old same old of those themes but looks like that still sells so probably will continue with it in the next ones. 

Edited by rexinnih

On 1/2/2023 at 12:19 PM, drotto said:

Any way this does not hit 2 billion at this point?

Not at this point.

727403393_Screenshot_20230121-0553402.thumb.png.121da0bcffef9c357aedb386edbb3d66.png

But remember. With this one, box office doesn't matter. It's about a 13 YO story with blue people. So nobody will see it other than some cosplayers.

:shiftyeyes: