• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVATAR 2 THE WAY OF WATER starring Sam Worthington (2022)
2 2

832 posts in this topic

On 1/6/2023 at 12:02 PM, Bosco685 said:

@drotto In Cameron's own words in an interview that was conducted earlier this week.

No Cameron whisper necessary. :gossip:

Wait, so there's James Cameron noting that, at $1.5 billion+ global box office, that it *still* hasn't broken even?

Or was he exaggerating again, and so can't be trusted?

On 1/6/2023 at 12:40 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Wait, so there's James Cameron noting that, at $1.5 billion+ global box office, that it *still* hasn't broken even?

Or was he exaggerating again, and so can't be trusted?

1) The interview took place earlier in the week.

2) $1.38B was the worldwide amount at that time.

3) Cameron notes in the next few days it is passing break-even.

4) Days later, we are now at $1.55B

You may have glanced over the short interview and missed that.

On 1/6/2023 at 12:44 PM, Bosco685 said:

1) The interview took place earlier in the week.

2) $1.38B was the worldwide amount at that time.

3) Cameron notes in the next few days it is passing break-even.

4) Days later, we are now at $1.55B

You may have glanced over the short interview and missed that.

But...now we're supposed to believe him, right?

As opposed to a few weeks ago, when he clearly stated the break-even was closer to $1.9 bn. -- and later folks made all sorts of excuses for him -- from "he misspoke" to "he exaggerated" to "no, he clearly meant the combined break-even for Avatar 2 and 3" (when he meant nothing of the sort).

Just aiming for clarity here. 

:foryou:

On 1/6/2023 at 12:21 PM, paperheart said:

maybe there's something to be said about letting a franchise gestate rather than having another installment jammed down your throat every 30 seconds; Phase IV was a near complete artistic and commercial failure

Take it from a card carrying MCU fanatic, folks like me were grateful to have new MCU content on Disney+ or at the theater on an almost constant basis, especially during the pandemic when our entertainment options were limited. Other than a bloated director's cut of Justice League, Warner Bros and Sony certainly weren't giving us decent comic book movies/shows during that time, if you wanna talk "near complete artistic and commercial failure."

As for Phase Four's "near complete artistic and commercial failure," I mean, I know there's a strong implicit bias against the current MCU Phase, but come on. Out of 15 MCU Disney+ series/holiday specials and theatrical films, only two received a final rotten critics rating, Eternals and Love & Thunder. Every MCU Disney+ series had very high viewership numbers except for Ms. Marvel. On the other hand, that series had the highest critics ratings of any MCU D+ show. The only MCU films you could say were subpar at the box office were the three pandemic releases, BW, ShangChi, and Eternals, but at the same time, every movie had subpar box office during that period. At 960m, 760m, and 830m, the global box office for DSMoM, TL&T, and BPWF were fine, not failures. Spider-Man No Way Home alone is one of the highest grossing movies of all time.

Phase Four wasn't the runaway success of Phase Three, which featured two critical Avengers movies, but Phase Four was by no means a failure.

And...if we do believe Cameron (this time) and $1.3 billion *wasn't* yet break-even, then that gives us a hint to the production budget, right?

Assuming it only needs 3.0x production (i.e., before P+A) to break even, that clearly puts the production budget well above $400 million.

On 1/6/2023 at 1:25 PM, Gatsby77 said:

But...now we're supposed to believe him, right?

As opposed to a few weeks ago, when he clearly stated the break-even was closer to $1.9 bn. -- and later folks made all sorts of excuses for him -- from "he misspoke" to "he exaggerated" to "no, he clearly meant the combined break-even for Avatar 2 and 3" (when he meant nothing of the sort).

Just aiming for clarity here. 

:foryou:

On 1/6/2023 at 1:28 PM, Gatsby77 said:

And...if we do believe Cameron (this time) and $1.3 billion *wasn't* yet break-even, then that gives us a hint to the production budget, right?

Assuming it only needs 3.0x production (i.e., before P+A) to break even, that clearly puts the production budget well above $400 million.

We've gone through these details a few times now. Unfortunately, it won't change your mind. Meanwhile, go see Avatar: The Way of Water. 

On 1/6/2023 at 1:41 PM, Bosco685 said:

We've gone through these details a few times now. Unfortunately, it won't change your mind. Meanwhile, go see Avatar: The Way of Water. 

?

Not really.

1) You didn't believe Cameron's direct quote two weeks ago, yet you clearly believe him now.

2) If we do believe Cameron now, then the break-even budget is clearly above $400 million.

More on that James Cameron interview with Chris Wallace

James Cameron said on this week’s episode of “Who’s Talking to Chris Wallace?” that “Avatar: The Way of Water” will turn the profit it needs to in order get the remainder of his franchise sequels made. The director went viral in November after telling GQ magazine “The Way of Water” was so expensive to make that it would have to “be the third or fourth highest-grossing film in history” just to “break even.” The sequel has already earned over $1.5 billion worldwide to surpass “Top: Gun Maverick” as the highest-grossing movie of 2022.

“It looks like with the momentum that the film has now that we’ll easily pass our break even in the next few days, so it looks like I can’t wiggle out of this and I’m gonna have to do these other sequels,” Cameron said. “I know what I’m going to be doing the next six or seven years.”

Sources have told Variety that “Avatar: The Way of Water’s” break-even point was set at roughly $1.4 billion, a figure the movie has already crossed. Insiders told Variety this week that “The Way of Water” is going to generate a box office total of at least $1.825 billion, though $2 billion certainly remains in reach. Either way, Cameron says the film will be profitable enough to warrant the sequels.

On 1/6/2023 at 2:21 PM, CGC Mike said:

I mentioned earlier on to agree to disagree.  I'll be back later tonight to make sure that has happened.  

Will there be belt-whipping ? :whee: GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu