• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

In your own mind. :baiting:

Point being you can't review a movie unless they open voting on the movie that has had screenings. Wonder Woman you can't vote. Trending has noting to do with it.

Edited by Rip

Just now, Rip said:

Point being you can't review a movie unless they open voting on the movie that has had screenings. Wonder Woman you can't voting trending has noting to do with it.

They open up general reviewing/voting on these films a month or two in advance. Which is why you will see some of the bigger fan-excitement films explode with positive scores prior to the general release.

Endgame had this. It was thousands deep in positive ratings before it even hit the general market. And currently has over 623K unique user ratings. But upon opening, had over 100K users rating it.

Endgame01.PNG.f8f4298de5c6f59d39054d25ba54e7d3.PNG

1 hour ago, paperheart said:

Exactly - and a dozen of those reviews are dated Nov. 25-26. It's been screening in major cities throughout North America over the past month. And the dates on the various Twitter reviews reinforce this.

Thus, no reason to doubt the audience review scores based on quantity alone.

Endgame they actually held the reviews a couple days after the movie hit on the 24th.

First reviews appeared on the 24th of April

So again lets go back to Wonder Woman....You can't vote on that, it has noting to do with trending. You understand?

And again going back to Star Wars they openi reviews after the showing. I know because everyone was following, at the voting dates confirm.

Edited by Rip

3 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Exactly - and a dozen of those reviews are dated Nov. 25-26. It's been screening in major cities throughout North America over the past month. And the dates on the various Twitter reviews reinforce this.

Thus, no reason to doubt the audience review scores based on quantity alone.

Just now, Rip said:

Endgame they actually held the reviews a couple days after the movie hit on the 24th.

First reviews appeared on the 24th of April

A film having thousands of user ratings in advance, and you assume it is all critics? Yeah. The good thing is the Audience Reaction with RT has already been caught at being tampered with.

But keep going. :popcorn:

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

A film having thousands of user ratings in advance, and you assume it is all critics?

Nope never said they all were. Just showing you the process of IMDB. IMDB had to remove some on Star Wars because of early spamming, as I said before.

Edited by Rip

Lucasfilm and Walt Disney’s Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker opened like a Star Wars movie. J.J. Abrams’ threequel earned $90 million on Friday, including $40 million in Thursday previews. Comparatively, The Last Jedi earned $45 million on Thursday for a $104.6 million opening day while The Force Awakens earned $57 million in previews towards a $119.1 million Friday. It’s still the eighth-biggest single day gross (sans inflation) behind the $91 million opening day of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II, the first three days of Avengers: Endgame ($157 million, $109 million and $90.3 million) and the opening days of The Last Jedi ($104 million), Avengers: Infinity War ($105 million) and The Force Awakens ($119 million).

The film earned 44% of its opening day via previews, which was less frontloaded than The Force Awakens (47%) and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II ($43.5 million/$91 million) and slightly more so than The Last Jedi (43%), but not to any frightening degree. All of Disney’s Star Wars Christmas releases (including Rogue One) have been frontloaded on opening weekend only to leg out, relatively speaking, over the holiday break. If The Rise of Skywalker is as “frontloaded” as The Hobbit (a $84 million weekend from a $38 million Friday), Force Awakens ($248 million/$119 million), Rogue One ($115 million/$71 million) and  Last Jedi ($220 million/$104 million), it’ll end the weekend with between $186 million and $198 million. At worst, it’s really frontloaded like Harry Potter 7.2 ($169 million/$91 million) and earns “just” $167 million.

Moreover, even the bad reviews (yes, even mine) still maintain that it’s a Star Wars movie which serves as a finale to the 42-year narrative. Yes, it contains top-tier production values, that John Williams music, chases, space dogfights, lightsaber battles and popular characters. There’s a difference between bad reviews that say “this contains the franchise tropes but is a bad movie” (Spectre or the Transformers sequels) and bad reviews that say “this doesn’t contain the things you came to see” (Fantastic Four or Men in Black: International). Rise of Skywalker is still a Star Wars movie, and thus audiences will be happy to spend 2.5-hours in a theater for “one last ride.”

No matter what critics or even audience members have to say mixed about Rise of Skywalker, the film is still going to deliver massive Star Wars numbers. Which is understandable after such a long-running franchise ending this part of its chapter.

2 minutes ago, Rip said:

Nope never said they all were. Just showing you the process of IMDB. IMDB had to remove some on Star Wars because of early spamming, as I said before.

And glad I could also remind you how IMDb works, and some of the pitfalls with any of these sites that open up in advance. Just like I stated.  :baiting: :foryou:

40 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

And glad I could also remind you how IMDb works, and some of the pitfalls with any of these sites that open up in advance. Just like I stated.  :baiting: :foryou:

I think you just wasted 3 pages of the internet on a bad hunch for Star Wars.

Thought IMDB held the votes for months, and you thought 1917 was a good example but didn't realize they had showings and opened the voting

Tried it with Little Women but didn't realize they had showings and opened the voting

Then tried it with WW1984 trending but didn't realize that had nothing to do with voting. Didn't realize you can't vote for WW1984.

Didn't realize they had dates next to every vote. 

Then tried Endgame but didn't realize they held voting for days after the opening.

:martini:

Edited by Rip

17 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

A film having thousands of user ratings in advance, and you assume it is all critics? Yeah. The good thing is the Audience Reaction with RT has already been caught at being tampered with.

But keep going. :popcorn:

Umm...comparing Endgame, which amassed 100,000+ audience votes almost instantaneously vs. 1917 having <1,200 audience votes when it's been screening for nearly a month, is comparing apples and hand grenades.

The former is suspicious; the latter's not.

Edited by Gatsby77

1 hour ago, Rip said:

$193.7 Million Opening estimate. TLJ was $220.

Close to what people were expecting.

It is dead on for the closing predictions.  It is a great weekend for any movie that does not have Star Wars, or Avengers in the title.   For Star Wars it is a little harder to say.

If they were expecting the next Endgame, aiming for that last in the line, generational type film, this is bad. If they were expecting it to top TFA or TLJ, this is bad. If all they were wanting was to make a profit this certainly will, it is a win.

What is success for this film?

45 minutes ago, Rip said:

I think you just wasted 3 pages of the internet on a bad hunch for Star Wars.

Thought IMDB held the votes for months, and you thought 1917 was a good example but didn't realize they had showings and opened the voting

Tried it with Little Women but didn't realize they had showings and opened the voting

Then tried it with WW1984 trending but didn't realize that had nothing to do with voting. Didn't realize you can't vote for WW1984.

Then tried Endgame but didn't realize they held voting for days after the opening.

:martini:

Okay, I tried to be polite a few times. Even tried a few :foryou: to make it clear I wasn't trying to pick a fight. But then you had to post a few statements that makes it clear it is very important to you only you have something figured out.

You clearly stated the user counts for RT Audience Score and then IMDb was heavily weighted to those that saw a film. But I clearly showed you a snapshot where in advance of a film's release date.

Then you stated of course there is not RT Audience tampering by anyone. Even though it has been called out by more than people on this site that specialize in the film industry this takes place. And the data clearly indicates something is differing from other trends (Metacritic, IMDb).

DC_MCU_BO191221c.thumb.PNG.961bf7cddf3b981e25c8526833bb5334.PNG

Dates next to a vote doesn't even matter if a studio of troll attack wants to drop in negative or positive ratings at any time. To include when a film is live.

Even with the Gotti film situation where the film received 0% from critics yet thousands of 'movie-goers' showed up to state they loved it within a day of its release, which made it on the news how RT was being manipulated. And we all know from it being called out on here how The Last Jedi and Captain Marvel had the opposite actions of people trying to detract from the film's release.

And I posted Endgame, smart guy, as an example of a film that experienced massive responses on IMDb ever once released. But which upon release had over 10K user votes within the day of its release. Which demonstrated it was people voting in advance, because Disney didn't have 100K critics and early screeners checking the film before going live. Most probably more in the <2,000 range would be reasonable with a film of that massive scale.

But sure. Let's pretend 10,800 voting on a film within a two day period is 'the norm'. That works. Somewhere.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

Umm...comparing Endgame, which amassed 100,000+ audience votes almost instantaneously vs. 1917 having <1,200 audience votes when it's been screening for nearly a month, is comparing apples and hand grenades.

The former is suspicious; the latter's not.

Uhmmm (you need to spell that like you traditionally do), that wasn't the intent. So you misread the intent.

As massive as Endgame was, having it show up 100K votes assuming all those people had seen the film before opening day thinking these were all critics and pre-screen attendees would be a massive reveal. Remember, the Russo Brothers had published a letter begging fans not to reveal spoilers because it would ruin it for others. Do you actually think they would then pre-screen Endgame for 100K viewers and assume this would be honored?

russos-avengers-endgame-spoilers.jpg.ccac9f6cd8892a9dd5a8a21913eeed50.jpg

Of course they wouldn't. Even with all the pre-news you could tell there are people that make their fame on social media by revealing spoilers. It is very easy to assume many were excited fans wanting to vote they wanted to see Endgame, and indicate this in advance of a screening.

Or is that too complex a situation? :baiting: :foryou:

Edited by Bosco685

1 hour ago, Rip said:

By the way, let's continue your IMDb education, since you attempted to be such a wonderful individual to discuss this with.

Endgame01.PNG.9517b9fa59fea37334573b03a0398129.PNG

Just so you know, because your post above demonstrates you didn't know, the only votes on IMDb reflecting a date are those that actually left rating write-up.

Endgame IMDb Total User Ratings: 623,234

Endgame IMDb Total User Ratings With Reviews/Dates: 8,431

So of those that you can research with a date, we are talking about only .013% of total ratings.

To help with the math, that means there are 99.986% of ratings posted that have no dates associated with them. Get me? :foryou:

31 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Okay, I tried to be polite a few times. Even tried a few :foryou: to make it clear I wasn't trying to pick a fight. But then you had to post a few statements that makes it clear it is very important to you only you have something figured out.

You clearly stated the user counts for RT Audience Score and then IMDb was heavily weighted to those that saw a film. But I clearly showed you a snapshot where in advance of a film's release date.

Can you show me again because I don't see a date on the snapshot

Then you stated of course there is not RT Audience tampering by anyone. Even though it has been called out by more than people on this site that specialize in the film industry this takes place. And the data clearly indicates something is differing from other trends (Metacritic, IMDb).

I stated that the number is not unusual. Which was the main point RT is a more radical I have always stated.

DC_MCU_BO191221c.thumb.PNG.961bf7cddf3b981e25c8526833bb5334.PNG

Dates next to a vote doesn't even matter if a studio of troll attack wants to drop in negative or positive ratings at any time. To include when a film is live.

I agree which I have continued to state.

Even with the Gotti film situation where the film received 0% from critics yet thousands of 'movie-goers' showed up to state they loved it within a day of its release, which made it on the news how RT was being manipulated. And we all know from it being called out on here how The Last Jedi and Captain Marvel had the opposite actions of people trying to detract from the film's release.

Again RT is often manipulated, but given the number of votes on Star wars it doesn't seem exceptional.

And I posted Endgame, smart guy, as an example of a film that experienced massive responses on IMDb ever once released. But which upon release had over 10K user votes within the day of its release. Which demonstrated it was people voting in advance, because Disney didn't have 100K critics and early screeners checking the film before going live. Most probably more in the <2,000 range would be reasonable with a film of that massive scale.

But sure. Let's pretend 10,800 voting on a film within a two day period is 'the norm'. That works. Somewhere.

And again I showed that they didn;t count any of them until 2 days after.

So again nothing changed here.

12 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

By the way, let's continue your IMDb education, since you attempted to be such a wonderful individual to discuss this with.

Endgame01.PNG.9517b9fa59fea37334573b03a0398129.PNG

Just so you know, because your post above demonstrates you didn't know, the only votes on IMDb reflecting a date are those that actually left rating write-up.

Endgame IMDb Total User Ratings: 623,234

Endgame IMDb Total User Ratings With Reviews/Dates: 8,431

So of those that you can research with a date, we are talking about only .013% of total ratings.

To help with the math, that means there are 99.986% of ratings posted that have no dates associated with them. Get me? :foryou:

So did zero people leave a write up.

Again I've been following Star Wars on the day the votes came out. It perfect matches what I have state. There were Zero votes until they opening voting.

They when you look at the various number, nothing seems really out of the ordinary.

Just now, Rip said:

So did zero people leave a write up.

Again I've been following Star Wars on the day the votes came out. It perfect matches what I have state. There were Zero votes until they opening voting.

They when you look at the various number, nothing seems really out of the ordinary.

Sorry, let's stick to how much of an IMDb expert you are, since that was critical to you.

1 hour ago, Rip said:

Every vote? You sure about that? :baiting: