• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, drotto said:

Few more Cinemascores, because I always find them hard to understand.

Solo was an A- 

Justice League was a B+

Batman v Superman was a B

Thor was a B+

Thor: Dark World was an A-

DC_MCU_BO191221a.thumb.PNG.2a7d2e50402e9836f930c0203c6f5377.PNG

One of these things doesn't seem to match the trend.

hm

Yesterday afternoon, "Rank the Star Wars films" was briefly trending on Twitter.

It's worth looking up, but in general Empire was considered the best (duh); Attack of the Clones was considered the worst (barely beating out The Phantom Menace); and The Last Jedi was generally in the top half. Also, folks tended to see Return of the Jedi as merely average - which I could agree with. Here's one such ranking (with which I largely agree):

1. Empire Strikes Back
  2. A New Hope
  3. The Last Jedi
  4. The Force Awakens
  5. Return of the Jedi - Rogue One
  6. Revenge of the Sith
  7. The Phantom Menace - Solo
  8. Attack of the Clones

12 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Based on what?

Studios have been caught counter-rating critic results through the audience score boosts. Just like fanatic trolls have used this area to attack films (The Last Jedi, Captain Marvel).

Based on 10K-12K doesn't seem that unusual based on previous voting. If you want to see bad spamming look at Solo's early count. Its still early but the fact that you don't have a huge amount of hate spam on this one at least says something.

RT has always been a poor audience review site. 

Solospammed.jpg

Edited by Rip

The film wasn’t perfect but the story was much more coherent than TLJ. Rian Johnson was just the wrong person for the second film.

JJ had too much to undo to fit into a 2 1/2 hour film.

Driver/Ridley were standouts. I will see it again.

4 minutes ago, Rip said:

Based on 10K-12K doesn't seem that unusual based on previous voting. If you want to see bad spamming look at Solo's early count.

Solospammed.jpg

I appreciate you sharing this. But all that demonstrates is where some entity (studio or hardcore Star Wars fanbase) responded immediately to counter neutral critic reactions. And with Last Jedi, it was clear an entity had attempted to detract from very positive critic reactions.

DC_MCU_BO191221a.thumb.PNG.80ccecc0429b5cd80b7c4a0f41e70b97.PNG

With RoS, the RT Audience Score is not matching the trends from the other reference sources. And especially 10,800 that rapidly. But I appreciate your feedback.

10K isn't that rapidly.

But you'll often find RT often doesn't match Critic scores or other review sites.

Batman vs Superman, Justice League, Last Jedi etc etc the list goes on.....

Edited by Rip

28 minutes ago, piper said:

The film wasn’t perfect but the story was much more coherent than TLJ. Rian Johnson was just the wrong person for the second film.

JJ had too much to undo to fit into a 2 1/2 hour film.

Driver/Ridley were standouts. I will see it again.

I agree TROS is two movies crammed into one.  The first hour is basically undoing TLJ, and the remainer of the film is a boarderline ROTJ remake (less so than TFA was ANH remake).

Edited by drotto

20 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I appreciate you sharing this. But all that demonstrates is where some entity (studio or hardcore Star Wars fanbase) responded immediately to counter neutral critic reactions. And with Last Jedi, it was clear an entity had attempted to detract from very positive critic reactions.

DC_MCU_BO191221a.thumb.PNG.80ccecc0429b5cd80b7c4a0f41e70b97.PNG

With RoS, the RT Audience Score is not matching the trends from the other reference sources. And especially 10,800 that rapidly. But I appreciate your feedback.

So is Cinemascore the most accurate fan indicator.  The Hollywood people seem to treat it that way.

11 minutes ago, Rip said:

Another example IMDB already has 68K votes and over there its at 6.9 Last Jedi is at 7.1

Again 10K is nothing.

Good discussion. But you are forgetting IMDb collects user feedback far in advance to reporting on excitement trending prior to a film's release.

IMDb_SW01.PNG.09b66484a6589cb4539bbface7a2614e.PNG

That's why it is over 68K users already.

6 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Good discussion. But you are forgetting IMDb collects user feedback far in advance to reporting on excitement trending prior to a film's release.

IMDb_SW01.PNG.09b66484a6589cb4539bbface7a2614e.PNG

That's why it is over 68K users already.

No, they opening voting only a few days ago. They started Wed I believe. They pulled it down after people started spamming then reopened on Thursday. They have been following this at Blu-Ray forum. Myself included.

CinemaScore_Ballot-768x482.jpg

Edited by Rip

1 minute ago, drotto said:

So is Cinemascore the most accurate fan indicator.  The Hollywood people seem to treat it that way.

It's supposed to be one of the key word-of-mouth marketing indicators. A- or above is great, B+ is good, anything below is bad to horrible.

CinemaScore_Ballot-768x482.jpg.5c6aa16c8e26b22c150dd7be1f5d1742.jpg

2 minutes ago, Rip said:

No, they opening voting only a few days ago. They started Wed I believe. They pulled it down after people started spamming then reopened on Thursday.

1917's release date is December 25th. Looks like it was a hit already.

IMDb_SW02.PNG.782b852e7fa641100d1392a6d08d5ad3.PNG

:baiting:

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

It's supposed to be one of the key word-of-mouth marketing indicators. A- or above is great, B+ is good, anything below is bad to horrible.

CinemaScore_Ballot-768x482.jpg.5c6aa16c8e26b22c150dd7be1f5d1742.jpg

I just feel like it is very rare to see a movie below a B.  When you do see anything below a B the movie is complete trash. So usually B is slightly below average. B+ is average. A- is above average.  A is great.

Just now, Gatsby77 said:

Yeah - and the reason Cinemascore's considered the most accurate is that it actually guarantees voters actually saw the film - they're polled as they leave.

So B+ is basically an average movie, and brings into question how repeat viewing will fair. 

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

1917's release date is December 25th. Looks like it was a hit already.

IMDb_SW02.PNG.782b852e7fa641100d1392a6d08d5ad3.PNG

:baiting:

I can believe that 1,200 people have seen this film already and voted on it - through sneak previews and the like. It's likely also been released already on military bases worldwide.

1 minute ago, Gatsby77 said:

I can believe that 1,200 people have seen this film already and voted on it - through sneak previews and the like. It's likely also been released already on military bases worldwide.

One small UK showing prior to any wide release.

1917_scheduyle.PNG.a65a9f5cdb62b566384436bd52fb2f9d.PNG