• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,923 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

With all of this hyper activity in terms of Hulk 181, do you guys think the buyer of the CGC 9.9 graded copy for what was at the time an insane nosebleed price finally be able to recoup his money at this point in time should he decide to sell it? hm

Or was this the copy that seemingly now has some kind of "damage" and would no longer grade out this high should it ever be resubmitted?  :cry:

Word on the street is that it suffers from SCS and wouldn't even grade a 9.6 now. :cry:

(But who knows if there is any truth to that rumour or not.)

-J.

3 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:
21 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

With all of this hyper activity in terms of Hulk 181, do you guys think the buyer of the CGC 9.9 graded copy for what was at the time an insane nosebleed price finally be able to recoup his money at this point in time should he decide to sell it? hm

Or was this the copy that seemingly now has some kind of "damage" and would no longer grade out this high should it ever be resubmitted?  :cry:

Word on the street is that it suffers from SCS and wouldn't even grade a 9.6 now. :cry:

So, I imagine this must be something in the ballpark of $150K worth of SCS damage since I can't remember what the actual sale price was.  :eek:  :censored:  :tonofbricks:

an 8.5 slight restored with slight color touch sold for around $2200....

that is about where it was last year....

It's a little bit of a shame that it could be someone with a slight marker scrape loses out on nearly $2000. Especially with only "slight" resto, but I'm no expert.... lol

of course if it had sold anywhere near $3,500, I would have called foul too. Can't please them all!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Incredible-Hulk-181-Nov-1974-CGC-8-5-Purple-Label-1st-Appearance-Wolverine-/202413087967?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

So, I imagine this must be something in the ballpark of $150K worth of SCS damage since I can't remember what the actual sale price was.  :eek:  :censored:  :tonofbricks:

150K was the BIN for the 9.9

1 minute ago, Gotham Kid said:
3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

150K was the BIN for the 9.9

That's right.  (thumbsu

So, if I remember correctly, the actual price was somewhere in the low $140K's or mid $130K's.  hm

No, buyer hit BIN. Sold for 150K

Curiously enough my friend who bought the SS 9.8 for 32K (record sale for 9.8) came in too late for the 9.9 as he would have bought it if he had seen it earlier.

Edited by Gotham Kid

I guess it takes so long for someone to get one that the Hulk 181 Club thread gets pushed to the back of the pack....

Furthermore lol

I remember back in 2015 you could buy a decent but low grade complete copy ungraded for $500. That is a lot of qualifiers but still  :foryou:

19 hours ago, Agent 007 said:

I was watching that as well, GSX1 9.8 CGC SS sold at a record 9.8 price for $12,500 today.   Amazing H181 price.  Looks like Bronze Age books are the new silver age IMO for growth.

Curious what GSXM 1 are you referring to? If it's from Clink I wouldn't be able to find it so do you remember who's signature it had?

Interestingly there's one being auctioned on pedigree for a surprisingly low price with not much time left. Although they have extended bidding if there's a last minute bid placed

Edited by MGsimba77

2 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Curious what GSXM 1 are you referring to? If it's from Clink I wouldn't be able to find it so do you remember who's signature it had?

Interestingly there's one being auctioned on pedigree for a surprisingly low price with not much time left. Although they have extended bidding if there's a last minute bid placed

Stan Lee, it was OW-W and placed 0n the best place on the cover.  Good signature as well.  GSX1 9.8 SS

8 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

Was wondering, what’s SCS mean?

That 2.0 blue label has sold several times.... personally I think that they could have gotten more that $1250. If you click on the first couple of sold listings for it, it was sold at $1400? I don't have GPA, but that is what it says on ebay when you click on the listings; however, it eventually only sold for $1250.

hopefully this book can keep free of shenanigans :foryou: 

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That 2.0 blue label has sold several times.... personally I think that they could have gotten more that $1250. If you click on the first couple of sold listings for it, it was sold at $1400? I don't have GPA, but that is what it says on ebay when you click on the listings; however, it eventually only sold for $1250.

hopefully this book can keep free of shenanigans :foryou: 

Looks like someone is trying to manipulate sales. Two of the 4 in this picture have been scrubbed from GPA.

72aWLHM.jpg

Edited by ygogolak

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Looks like someone is trying to manipulate sales. Two of the 4 in this picture have been scrubbed from GPA.

Thanks!

it's weird though, cause a 3.0 or 3.5 sold legitly for $1799 a while back and it had off-white to white pages, you'd think that a 2.0 would fetch $1450-$1500..... They are manipulating the wrong way lol (presumably, maybe they want the price to come down?)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Thanks!

it's weird though, cause a 3.0 or 3.5 sold legitly for $1799 a while back and it had Cream to off-white pages, you'd think that a 2.0 would fetch $1450-$1500..... They are manipulating the wrong way lol (presumably, maybe they want the price to come down?)

Then again, they may not have wanted to sell, but instead prove its value (shrug) Shenanigans!

:o A 4.0 Off-white to White pages just popped for $2700. I mention it because I just saw this price on a 4.0 on a respected dealer's newsletter and thought they were optimistic.....