• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,923 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Yeah I agree. I actually liked WW '84. It wasn't that bad and I liked the actress big time! I suspect the WW appeal came from people intrigued to see a woman portrayed as a super hero during those olden days. The Lynda Carter 70s show gave it a giant boost I'm sure. I love that show and Lynda Carter is unbeatable as WW! It's on "meTV" a classic TV network on Saturdays.

They've changed it over to the three stooges on metv, unless ww is on at a different time?

I'd watch reruns of collectors call if they'd show it, btw, 2 hours of the 3 stooges is too much to handle

2 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Yeah I agree. I actually liked WW '84. It wasn't that bad and I liked the actress big time! I suspect the WW appeal came from people intrigued to see a woman portrayed as a super hero during those olden days. The Lynda Carter 70s show gave it a giant boost I'm sure. I love that show and Lynda Carter is unbeatable as WW! It's on "meTV" a classic TV network on Saturdays.

There was Bulletgirl and Mary Marvel as well. They didn't do so well. Maybe it was the patriotic look. I know when they took her powers away and exiled her in the 1970's to make her a "modern free spirit" due to the liberation movement the book lost a lot of popularity. Wasn't long before she was wearing old glory again. And still.

16 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

They've changed it over to the three stooges on metv, unless ww is on at a different time?

I'd watch reruns of collectors call if they'd show it, btw, 2 hours of the 3 stooges is too much to handle

I think it's on at either 7 or 8pm Eastern time. Otherwise they may have changed it. Yeah it's too much stooges!

19 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

There was Bulletgirl and Mary Marvel as well. They didn't do so well. Maybe it was the patriotic look. I know when they took her powers away and exiled her in the 1970's to make her a "modern free spirit" due to the liberation movement the book lost a lot of popularity. Wasn't long before she was wearing old glory again. And still.

It's a great topic for the comics historians to ponder hm. You're right, I think the patriotic theme could have played in. My earliest memories are from the 80's so I'm way too young. It's an interesting topic though. Why her over Mary Marvel hm

3 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Stock markets poops the bed and investors ONCE AGAIN turn to tangibles to put their bucks into.

Are you referring to the huge buying opportunity that was created with the Coronavirus panic that hit the stock markets last March?  :fear:

Sadly, as recent history has shown us, the best strategy is to buy the dip as opposed to sell the panic since virtually all of the equity indicies have doubled since that time.  If you was a stock picker and both astute and lucky enough to have loaded up on Square when it dipped below $40 or Tesla when it dropped back down below $500, you could be laughing all the way to the bank since both of those are now trading at $270+ and $3,200+ pre-split respectively.  :wishluck:  :flipbait:

On 2/17/2021 at 11:51 AM, www.alexgross.com said:

ignore the haters. 181 consistently moves up in value, sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly. there are currently 4 WTB threads for 181 on page one of the WTB forum here, more than any other book. the argument that there is plentiful supply is faulty because we all know the formula involves supply AND DEMAND. demand is insatiable. people have been saying supply is plentiful for many decades now. until people get tired of wolverine, it will be THE bronze age book to own. 

While there are 4 WTB here, there are 3 to four PAGES on ebay alone with people wanting to sell an IH 181. Demand isn't "insatiable". It's been priced out of reach for most collectors. It will be the books undoing. I find it odd there are 4 requests here for an IH 181 when there are all grades in multiples on ebay to buy. Oh. Wait. Maybe the WTB's here are looking for some slack in pricing because we are all "buds". They can head to ebay and find the book. Or any number of online dealers waiting to hose the "insatiable" buyer who have inflamed loins with Hulky/Wolvie lust. BFD for IH 181.

On 2/17/2021 at 9:22 AM, shadroch said:

I'd like to think there are more than 127 deep pocketed collectors out there. I wouldn't worry about census numbers until there are 500 or more 9.8s.

The real question is although there are indeed deep pocketed collectors out there, are there really 127 NEW ones out there, let along 500 of them that's willing to fork over $40K+ for a copy of Hulk 181?  Same thing with respect to TMNT 1 in terms of whether there are 32 NEW deep pocketed collectors, let alone say 100 of them, that are willing to turn over $60K+ for a copy of TMNT 1?  (shrug)

After all, you have to remember that the vast majority of the current owners of CGC 9.8 graded copies of either Hulk 181 or TMNT 1 most likely brought them at a much lower price point than the current market value and would not actually be willing to pay current market value for a copy if they did not already own one.  hm

On 2/18/2021 at 11:21 PM, www.alexgross.com said:

with all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about. people have been saying the same nonsense for decades, and it's been proven wrong. just read a graph on gpa and even you should be able to understand a line that moves upwards. 

if you think it's an overrated book, you're entitled to your opinion. even if facts prove otherwise. 

That guy thinks H181 doubled in all grades in the last couple years because of Logan DVDs.  Bahaha...

I can understanding hating on, say, Something is Killing the Children variants going for like $1k.  Or some of the Star Wars insanity.  Or maybe even NM 98 which has gone up like 50% in the last 6 months despite having 4000 9.8s.  But H181?  Nahhh.

21 hours ago, lou_fine said:

The real question is although there are indeed deep pocketed collectors out there, are there really 127 NEW ones out there, let along 500 of them that's willing to fork over $40K+ for a copy of Hulk 181?  Same thing with respect to TMNT 1 in terms of whether there are 32 NEW deep pocketed collectors, let alone say 100 of them, that are willing to turn over $60K+ for a copy of TMNT 1?  (shrug)

After all, you have to remember that the vast majority of the current owners of CGC 9.8 graded copies of either Hulk 181 or TMNT 1 most likely brought them at a much lower price point than the current market value and would not actually be willing to pay current market value for a copy if they did not already own one.  hm

i think that yes, there probably are. but i dont think there need to be. for example, i own two copies of JIM83, both in 5.0, now i am not a millionaire, otherwise i would own more than two, in higher grades. i believe that the very wealthy own multiple copies of some of their favorite books. also, 127 people is a miniscule number when you think about it. there are thousands of millionares out there, perhaps even millions. 

Edited by www.alexgross.com

28 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i think that yes, there probably are. but i dont think there need to be. for example, i own two copies of JIM83, both in 5.0, now i am not a millionaire, otherwise i would own more than two, in higher grades. i believe that the very wealthy own multiple copies of some of their favorite books. also, 127 people is a miniscule number when you think about it. there are thousands of millionares out there, perhaps even millions. 

Yep, and there are actually tens of millions of millionaires.  (And a lot of them doubled their money last year.)  

22 hours ago, lou_fine said:

127 NEW buyers assumes the current 127 owners are willing to sell. 

I believe you've got two types of people currently holding on to IH 181's: 1) Speculators who bought high and will only sell when they can make enough profit to justify the initial purchase and 2) Collectors like me who see this book as part of our "permanent collections" and would only consider selling for a truly ridiculous price.

Both mindsets push the price on this book higher.

5 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:
37 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i believe that the very wealthy own multiple copies of some of their favorite books. also, 127 people is a miniscule number when you think about it. there are thousands of millionares out there, perhaps even millions. 

Yep, and there are actually tens of millions of millionaires.  (And a lot of them doubled their money last year.)  

No doubt there are tens of millions of millionaires throughout the entire world, but how many of them actually even want a copy of Hulk 181 regardless of the price?  hm  

Heck, if you go by the strict definition of a millionaire, anybody that owns a house in this city is already by definition a millionaire.  As such, even though I am a long time comic book collector, I would never think of paying even a $1,000 for a copy of Hulk 181 (unless I already have a locked in guarantee of flipping it instantly at a huge profit), let alone at $40K for a copy.  :fear:

:takeit:  the money, that is.  :whee:  :banana: 

On 12/19/2020 at 1:54 PM, lou_fine said:

:bump:

Wow, I guess the answer to the question posed in the title of this thread here is that it must be pretty cold since it's been almost 3 whole long months since the last post in this thread.  :devil:

Nevertheless, any thoughts on this sale of Hulk 181 for $47,500 in Wednesday's CC auction:  hm

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/897304

inc1.9776_3.jpg

Personally, I thought it was a pretty strong price for a CGC 9.8 graded copy, especially considering the rather clearly visible off-center white line at the spine which is kind of a visible eye sore to me.  :p  (shrug)

On 2/2/2021 at 9:49 PM, Randall Ries said:

I would say so, yes. My criteria is no white landing strips on 9.8 books that I am willing to pay 10's of thousands for.

A quick tangent here.

I will concede that a book where the line between the front and back cover hits the spine perfectly is the ideal. 

Having said that, a "white landing strip" is something that just doesn't bother me personally. I grew up in the South buying books off the drug store spinner racks in the 70s. I think the vast majority of books I picked up had that white strip, so to me, that's just what a comic book looks like.

(To be fair, this book does bother me, because it's white at the top, but not at the bottom. But if it were a straight white strip all the way down, it would be A-okay with me.)